"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
HI Joe - Great thread! I bake a loaf of NYT every week for DW's toast in the morning. With fall combing, I am looking to it for bread to go with Chile and fall soups. I have used parchment almost since I started, last winter. Someone her posted about parchment and said that they always had trouble getting it to "Behave" and lay in the pan well. they, probably in a fit of temper, crumbled it up in a ball, like they were going to throw it out. they then spread it out again and it was much easier to form. This has worked for me quite nicely. I also bale other breads - freeform and in loaf pans, depending on what I am going to use it for. I have a Fibrament stone that is always in my oven, all freeform is stone baked. Anyway, I have not sprayed the parchment with anything and it has never stuck. One time I was not thinking and baked in a cast iron Dutch Oven and put nothing in and the dough did not stick. Go figure. I really liked your tutorial and will keep reading. Thank You

AC

Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Yep. I read recently where someone claims that you don't need to pre heat, but I need to look into that more. Right now I have to head out to the jobsite.
Thanks, Joe. I was wondering if you did because the two that you show aren't cast iron, so I wasn't sure if preheating them was necessary.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #13
Senior Cook

My wife started using the parchment paper thing. I was sure thankful because she cooks the No rise in a LaCruse' and I have had to clean it.

After getting totally bent at scrubbing all the brown stuff off by hand on day, it dawned on me that Easy-Off might work. Out to the porch I go with the pan and a spray can of Easy-Off and sprayed gasped at the fumes, left the sprayed pan for a couple hoiurs and hosed it down withsome gentle wiping and presto, Clean!

God, I hate the easyoff fumes, thanks for parchment.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I'm so glad you took the time to post all these great helps. The parchment idea is just a "super" idea and the pictures are such a good help. I will be able to visualize them as I prepare my bread. Thank you.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt View Post
My wife started using the parchment paper thing. I was sure thankful because she cooks the No rise in a LaCruse' and I have had to clean it.

After getting totally bent at scrubbing all the brown stuff off by hand on day, it dawned on me that Easy-Off might work. Out to the porch I go with the pan and a spray can of Easy-Off and sprayed gasped at the fumes, left the sprayed pan for a couple hoiurs and hosed it down withsome gentle wiping and presto, Clean!

Is this a clay baking vessel? I Googled LaCruse' and could not find any reference to cooking vessels. If it is clay, what you did was to remove all the seasoning (all that brown stuff is also known as seasoning like a cast iron dutch oven), and have now impregnated the porous material with the chemicals in the EasyOff, and I'm pretty sure it's no longer suitable for cooking in. I sure hope I'm wrong, so someone please confirm my suspicions.

JoeV
Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Is this a clay baking vessel? I Googled LaCruse' and could not find any reference to cooking vessels. If it is clay, what you did was to remove all the seasoning (all that brown stuff is also known as seasoning like a cast iron dutch oven), and have now impregnated the porous material with the chemicals in the EasyOff, and I'm pretty sure it's no longer suitable for cooking in. I sure hope I'm wrong, so someone please confirm my suspicions.

JoeV

i don't think i would use it anymore. though i do use oven cleaner on glass baking things . but they don't absorb anything.

babe
Old 09-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt View Post

Quote:

JoeV

First I can find no info on LaCruse' are you sure it's not a Le Creuset ?
If it is a Le Creuset there should be no problem using the baking vessel again.
Wash it thoroughly with regular kitchen soap and hot water before it's next use.
Le Creuset are built like old fashioned bath tubs and can take anything a cook can dish out even Easy Off!
Althought personally I would not "Easy Off" it again

If it is some sort of clay or terracotta baking dish. I believe you can use it again as well.
They way Easy Off works is to convert fat into a soap and although Easy Off is very smelly, little, if any would have been absorbed and more importantly "bound" by the high temperature kiln fired clay in your dish.
Porosity and the ability to bind a chemical are two separate items.
If you want to be ultra cautious scrub the dish well with plenty of hot soapy water and give it an extra long soaking rinse. Let it dry completely. Then pre-heat the dish in your oven and do a nose test. If you detect any thing "off" in the odor of the heated dish toss it, other wise it should be safe to use again.
This of course is what I would do and is strictly my opinion only.

My apologies for wandering off topic.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
No Joe, this is a misspelling by me. It should be Le Creuset, the colorful enameled cast iron cookware. Sorry for the confusion, I will proof read my own posts better in the future.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #19
Head Chef

Robert,

Thanks for clarifying the name. As lovergrill stated, it's probably no problem since this is an enameled cast iron, and should not absorb any chemicals or odors. I have an enameled cast iron dutch oven that I only use for baking NYT bread, and it looks like a war zone inside, Impossible to clean with conventional cleaners, but that does not bother me in the least. The nastier looking it gets just reminds me of how much good, homemade bread is headed to the table.

JoeV
Old 09-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Are we talking pre-heating both ovens and cooking vessels?

Tags
None