"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 06-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Head Chef

NYT Variety

I'm in charge of a welcoming reception for a bunch of fly fisherpersons (30+ people) meeting in Grayling, MI on Monday evening. I thought that a variety of NYT breads would make for interesting snacks. From left to right, I've got plain bread, trail mix bread (minus the M&M's), roasted garlic with caramelized Vadalia onions, Italian herb and Craisin-Raisin-Sunflower seed bread.

I'm going to have a busy morning baking these 5 loaves plus a loaf of egg bread and a loaf of Italian. The bread will be served with a variety of salami, cheese and spreads, as well as EVOO with Corraba's seasoning mix. Where's the double oven when you really need it. LOL

Joe

Old 06-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Wow, productive day for you! It all sounds great.

I like your popcorn bowls, BTW. Was admiring those in some store recently, barely made it out with my money.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Head Chef

The popcorn tubs came from the Dollar Store for $1 each. I needed something with enough volume for these recipes, because they are all made with 1.25X the volumes (they make 2# loaves using 20 oz of flour and 15 oz of water), and will need room to expand. i didn't have enough large bowls, so these fit the bill nicely. Plus, we now have tubs for popcorn when we watch a movie at home, or for when company comes over for parties and football games.

Joe
Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
Senior Cook

$1 each? That's a great find. I'm pretty sure they were over $10 when I saw them.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
$1 each? That's a great find. I'm pretty sure they were over $10 when I saw them.
Keep in mind they are flimsy plastic. The store must have had 100 of them. Check your local Dollar Store to see if they have them.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i would certainly enjoy your offering. hardest thing would be deciding which to taste first.

babe
Old 06-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'll be making a loaf tomorrow. Going to my friends' place Sunday for bridge & dinner, and I'm thinking I'll do a sourdough parmesan-olive No-knead loaf.

I like your idea of upsizing the loaf. Any tips for adjusting the recipe this way?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
I like your idea of upsizing the loaf. Any tips for adjusting the recipe this way?
I increase the ingredients by 25% with a bit of rounding so I don't go crazy. This recipe will yield a 2# finished loaf without any additives like raisins, seed, etc. The Craisin, Raisin, Sunflower Seed loaf that just came out of the oven weighs in at 2# 8.6 oz. because of the craisins and raisins.

1#4oz AP flour
2t salt
3/8t Instant yeast
12.5 oz lukewarm water

I like to bake this size recipe in my La Cloche Oblong Baker or you can use any large ovensafe vessel with a lid that will accommodate the volume. I also proof my bread in parchment paper lined wicker baskets that are similar in size and shape to my baking vessel. The parchment paper makes it easy to transfer the wet dough to the pot without destroying its shape.

Joe
Old 06-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks Joe,

A couple questions though.

Above you said that you used 15 oz of water and in this post you said 12.5. I would guess that 15 is the right number since that puts it at 75% hydration which is around what I expect a no knead loaf to be at, is that right?

Also, I do have the oblong La Cloche, but I think I lean towards a boule this time around. Will this loaf also fit into the round La Cloche? Is there any reason other than preferring the shape the oblong gives you that you use that one for this size?

Russ

PS Just noticed your comment about the popcorn bowls. I think the ones I had seen were ceramic, I guess that's why they're so much pricier.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #10
Head Chef

Russ,

Mea culpa, the 15 oz is correct. I was typing that at 0430 EST without the benefit of my first cup-o-Joe. I'm not sure about the round cooker. You could contact Eric at Breadtopia.com to find out. He's pretty good about getting back to you the same day if he's in town.

The shape doesn't matter, unless your DW says she's tired of trying to make sandwiches out of round bread. That's why I got the oblong cooker.

(1) oblong clay cooker $51 delivered; One happy DW, PRICELESS!

The proofing container pretty much dictates what you'll be able to fit in your cooker withous forcing it in. That's how I came up with the 1.25X recipe for my baking vessels.

Joe

Joe

Tags
None