"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Jeni78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 322
Okay, I'm kind of a dummy (Masa Harina)

I needed some for a chili recipe and now I have an entire bag. I probably could have subbed flour, but no, I went and bought a bag of something I don't know what to do with...

Ideas??? Recipes???

__________________

__________________
People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.
Jeni78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
You can make corn tortillas. It might work in place of cornmeal for tamale pie.

Barbara
__________________

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,199
Wow...I had to google that one. Never heard of it. I guess you could make a bunch of tortillas or something???
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 2,303
Tamales!!!!!!!!!

They freeze well too. :)
__________________
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,539
Is it the instant brand?
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
Tamales, corn tortillas! If all else fails, plastic bag it and put it in the freezer.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,710
I did the same thing, Jeni, and now I have a lifetime supply for chili. There's just no substitution quite like Masa Harina for chili. I made tamales once (all by myself) and I'll never be doing that again.....OMG one of the worse experience of my life that lasted till 3am. I hear it's fun with a group, but I'll pass. I think it will keep dang near forever if it's taken care of properly......think I'll just will it to my kids.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I did the same thing, Jeni, and now I have a lifetime supply for chili. There's just no substitution quite like Masa Harina for chili. I made tamales once (all by myself) and I'll never be doing that again.....OMG one of the worse experience of my life that lasted till 3am. I hear it's fun with a group, but I'll pass. I think it will keep dang near forever if it's taken care of properly......think I'll just will it to my kids.
Tamales are a lot more fun with a group Kayelle. I had the same experience of trying to do them on my own. It took me almost three days, I had to sleep sometime
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Jeni78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 322
Okay - good to know on the tamales...almost went in that direction.

YES it is the instant kind, I had to look...does that make things better?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one...thank you!
__________________
People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel.
Jeni78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
Okay - good to know on the tamales...almost went in that direction.

YES it is the instant kind, I had to look...does that make things better?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one...thank you!
It just reduces the cooking time, if it doesn't have any extra ingredients in it, I.e. baking powder, salt...you can use it as a flour.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
Okay - good to know on the tamales...almost went in that direction.

YES it is the instant kind, I had to look...does that make things better?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one...thank you!
I use the instant when I make Tamales. It's ready to go as soon as you are. Easier to work with. Refrigerates and freezes well.

I mix the Maseca ( Masa) with the dry ingredients first. Then add the cooking oil. Slowly add warm chicken broth. It makes the dough easier to spread if your making Tamales. I love making those. It's not that time consuming once you get the process down. Use the dough when it's room temp.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I use the instant when I make Tamales. It's ready to go as soon as you are. Easier to work with. Refrigerates and freezes well.

I mix the Maseca ( Masa) with the dry ingredients first. Then add the cooking oil. Slowly add warm chicken broth. It makes the dough easier to spread if your making Tamales. I love making those. It's not that time consuming once you get the process down. Use the dough when it's room temp.

Munky.
Yes, "Miss Got It All Together" It's getting the process down that takes awhile!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes, "Miss Got It All Together" It's getting the process down that takes awhile!
HAHAA!!

You know it took me a few times on my own to get it right.
I never have a pack of people around me when there's work to be done. It was spreading the Masa that got me every time! Actually hated that part it was so time consuming.
I wised up fast ( mostly out of desperation) to spread it into the husks with a tough spatula that wouldn't bend. Hold the smaller end and wipe it on. Got that even layer from end to end. Side to side. Thickness depends on who's eating it. I prefer a medium. Stacked them in a pile. Set it aside. Scrape up the excess off the board add it back to the bowl. When your done go back and add the filling. Wrap and steam.

Lil Miss Got It Down!

How's that?

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
HAHAA!!

You know it took me a few times on my own to get it right.
I never have a pack of people around me when there's work to be done. It was spreading the Masa that got me every time! Actually hated that part it was so time consuming.
I wised up fast ( mostly out of desperation) to spread it into the husks with a tough spatula that wouldn't bend. Hold the smaller end and wipe it on. Got that even layer from end to end. Side to side. Thickness depends on who's eating it. I prefer a medium. Stacked them in a pile. Set it aside. Scrape up the excess off the board add it back to the bowl. When your done go back and add the filling. Wrap and steam.

Lil Miss Got It Down!

How's that?

Munky.
Great! Thanks for the tips! How thick is the masa...I mean how spreadable. Next time, I'm going to pipe the filling in too, will save me some headaches. I only have enough room to set 6 up at a time. ARRGH!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
Honey Badger
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Great! Thanks for the tips! How thick is the masa...I mean how spreadable. Next time, I'm going to pipe the filling in too, will save me some headaches. I only have enough room to set 6 up at a time. ARRGH!
It will be thick. The dough will feel very soft. Easily spread. Can't miss it. Tough dough is tough dough..
If the doughs not sticking to the wrapper while your evening it out. It's too thick. I add a little more warmed broth until I get it right.

Make a trial one and adjust it where it's needed.

Munky.
__________________
If your with me that's great. If not. Get out of my way.
Chef Munky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
It will be thick. The dough will feel very soft. Easily spread. Can't miss it. Tough dough is tough dough..
If the doughs not sticking to the wrapper while your evening it out. It's too thick. I add a little more warmed broth until I get it right.

Make a trial one and adjust it where it's needed.

Munky.
Thanks...it about drives me to distraction...some of mine were almost see-through. But, by then I was past caring, just trying to get them done. It's a good thing they tasted good!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,306
I did the same thing...bought a bag of masa harina and thought I would never run out again.....wrong!!
I reckon some folks might say it is sacrilege, but I discovered that masa harina makes wonderful cornbread. Here at Casa de Hoot, we make three or four different kinds of cornbread. We make a large pone in a very shallow skillet, other times we will fry smaller, thicker pones, we make deep fried hushpuppies and we bake various versions of cornbread.
Now I must admit, I haven't tried masa harina in baked cornbread, but for the fried versions, masa harina has a wonderful flavor. My Mom used to say it tasted like cornbread they had when she was a young'un.
I reckon sooner or later I will try it in baked cornbread.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I've used it in potato pancakes (the kind made with mashed potatoes, egg, flour and seasoning) in place of the AP flour and it added a bit more flavor to the pancake.
I imagine I'll still have some in the cupboard when I am no longer around, but it's another use.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,710
Originally Posted by Jeni78
Okay - good to know on the tamales...almost went in that direction.
____________________________
Haa Haaa Haaa Jeni........after reading monkey and PF's posts, are you now even more convinced to not be making tamale's?? Told ya.

I leave tamale making to those families who've had it down for generations, and I buy from them. At Christmas I bought a dozen delicious tamale's from a neighbor for $20.00. I would have wanted to charge $20 for each of mine with all the time and frustration.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Originally Posted by Jeni78
Okay - good to know on the tamales...almost went in that direction.
____________________________
Haa Haaa Haaa Jeni........after reading monkey and PF's posts, are you now even more convinced to not be making tamale's?? Told ya.

I leave tamale making to those families who've had it down for generations, and I buy from them. At Christmas I bought a dozen delicious tamale's from a neighbor for $20.00. I would have wanted to charge $20 for each of mine with all the time and frustration.

Tamales are fun...and good...and time consuming If there were any good places to buy them around here I wouldn't bother.
__________________

__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×