"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 03-03-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Olive oil vs EVOO - Which has more flavor?

I'm making some Focaccia bread this weekend. My delima is which oil to use for dipping???

****olive oil or the virgin olive oil stuff?****

I want FLAVOR ! Which is best?

please help !!!

~thanks !!!!

vanwingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
Extra virgin olive oil is what you want. EVOO is the first cold pressing of the fruit. That will by far be the most/best flavor you will get. Olive oil is the second (I think) pressing which will be a lot less flavorful.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
GB is right. EVOO will have the best flavor. Also, diffefent EVOOs will have different flavors. Some will have a more pronounced flavor than others.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
Master Chef
Regular oilive oil doesn't have much taste. IMO would be like dipping bread in Wesson oil. May work for Florence Henderson, but your foccacia deserves something tastier.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Dang, I feel like and idiot. It took this topic for me to realize what EVOO meant . . . . . .

Just gimme my sign now, I deserve it . . . . .
Integrity & Honesty
have been sacrificed on the combined altars of Control, Political Correctness, and Convenience
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
lololo! Don't worry bigdog! I was married to a Greek for a number of years before I figured it out.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Sous Chef
Unfortunately, it seems to me that most "extra virgin olive oil" commerical products in the USA are pretty flavorless.

If you can't find a truly flavorful olive oil yet live somewhere near a store (deli? deli section of supermarket? health food store? natural foods store?) that sells olives in open buckets (that is, olives in a big container submerged in olive oil) and provides small plastic containers for you to remove the amount you want for purchase then...

Just fill that container mostly with the oil from an olive you like (you may actually have to throw in a few olives with the oil to get past the checkout counter). This olive oil will have a definitive taste. It is not for cooking but great for dipping.
subfuscpersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I'd go with EVOO. It has a lot more flavor and makes everything taste wonderful.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #9
Senior Cook
I lived in Spain for ten years, and olive oil a very freely available there and there are dozens of different brands on the shelves. All have them have a slightly different flavour. You had to try them out and choose your favourite.

It was widely held that to say that evoo is better than ordinary olive oil is (IMHO) meaningless. It is like saying use sherry in a recipe. What kind of sherry, dry, amontillado, cream,and so on. And no two types of sherries taste the same, (Tio Pepe is different from La Ina, and different from Domecq's Manzanilla or Bristol Dry) just as no two olive oils taste the same.

In Spain there is not the automatic preference for extra virgen olive oil. Each cook and each restaurant chooses what is believed to be the best flavour.

Just for a moment consider making comparison between Spanish evoo, Italian evoo, Californian evoo and Greek evoo. They will all have different flavours.

Ya pays ya money and ya makes ya choice.
advoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
Executive Chef
BigDog]Dang, I feel like and idiot. It took this topic for me to realize what EVOO meant . . . . . .

Same here, only I am way past feeling like an idiot. I just figured it was a new fad type oil. I don't get out much.............

bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote