"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-31-2006, 05:43 AM   #11
Master Chef

Not to mention weevils. I don't think anyone here is starving enough to have to pick bugs out of their flour, but I've lived places where we had to store flour in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Also had that problem with bulk couscous as well. I learned to NOT buy some products in bulk! 5 lbs is it.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #12
Senior Cook

This reminds me of the day I had everything prepared for my cookies and only the flour had to be added. I sifted the flour into the bowl only to see really tiny white "things" moving! I tried to save the ton of butter but then even after sieving it for the second time I saw all those creatures still moving. Had to toss it all out

Old 01-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
pity they were White critters, you could have tried passing them off as Choc Chips or Rasins :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaheen
This reminds me of the day I had everything prepared for my cookies and only the flour had to be added. I sifted the flour into the bowl only to see really tiny white "things" moving! I tried to save the ton of butter but then even after sieving it for the second time I saw all those creatures still moving. Had to toss it all out
Shaheen, eating the odd critter irrespective of colour is not nearly as bad as eating the chemical (ethylene dibromide) used to keep flour critterless.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
true, bromates as "flour improvers" has even been banned in most European countries as a possible Carcinogen :(

pass me the critters, no one ever died from a little extra protein! :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #16
Senior Cook

White flour is probably ok, I have read that whole wheat will go rancid if not kept in the refigerator or freezer. If it smell funny, its probably bad.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #17
Senior Cook

[quote=Shaheen]This reminds me of the day I had everything prepared for my cookies and only the flour had to be added. I sifted the flour into the bowl only to see really tiny white "things" moving! I tried to save the ton of butter but then even after sieving it for the second time I saw all those creatures still moving. Had to toss it all out

Oh yuck, White moving things that look like little short moving rice grains are maggots. If you live in a damp hot climate, I would definitly keep it in the refrigerator. glad you noticed them and didnt eat it. ]
Old 01-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I keep all my flour, grains, and many cereals in the freezer. I have been told that if you put them in the freezer for 48 hours it will kill anything in them and you can then store them outside of the freezer. Since I have plenty of freezer space, little cupboard space, and live in a humid area, I just keep them in the freezer.

Barbara
Old 01-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #19
Cook

Location: Canberra, Australia - The Nations Capitol and Home of the Pollies
I tend not to pay too much attention to 'Use By' dates. Just use my eyes and my nose to see if it is okay. When I was a kid there was no such thing as 'Use By' dates but we seemed to manage.

Cookware Consumer Guide
Jenyfari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #20
Head Chef

I don't remember where I heard it but I recall an adage, "Grind you corn once a week and your wheat once a month." Since I assume the distribution times for milled grain are longer than this I freeze whole grains flours and meals. I like to freeze corn kernals and wheat berries for 48 hours before sealing in critter proof zip-lock bags
Degerminated flours I keep in critter proof containers for about as long as as I want.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None