Out-of-Date bread flour - is it bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it smells and tastes OK, and has no critters in it, you can probably use it.

Critters are a definite indication that it should not be used.

Make sure your yeast is not out of date. Even better, proof your yeast.

99 times out of 100, critters in flour did not get into the flour at your home. They got into the flour at the mill. The eggs are so small, the fall through the sifters along with the flour. It's not you or how old the flour is.

To prevent the appearance of bugs, freeze your flour for 3-4 days when you first bring it home then store it properly and you will not have any bug issues.

99 times out of 100, critters in flour did not get into the flour at your home. They got into the flour at the mill. The eggs are so small, the fall through the sifters along with the flour. It's not you or how old the flour is.
+1

I have found bugs in sealed packages of flour and sealed packages of rice. (Flour is often packaged in paper, not completely secure, but the rice I'm referring to was sealed in a plastic bag so well that the plastic bag was pressurized and still maintained pressure, even though you could see the little bugs scampering around inside. This was a really good lesson to learn!)

As far as inserting your own bugs, I always store all materials of the sort that can become infested in bug proof containers of some sort. In the case of flour I store my GP flour in an air tight container, and all other flour in double plastic bags, tightly sealed.

It is a good practice to buy flour and other similar products in container sizes that you are likely to completely use up within a few or several months, or certainly use up before the use-by date.

However I see no problem in using flour past the use-by date as long as you're careful to give it a very close critter inspection. This includes digging down into lower layers and inspecting them too.

I'm reminded of the story, what's worse than finding a cockroach in your food? (A: half a cockroach!) :)

Last edited:
Barbara L said:
I keep all my flour, grains, and many cereals in the freezer. I have been told that if you put them in the freezer for 48 hours it will kill anything in them and you can then store them outside of the freezer. Since I have plenty of freezer space, little cupboard space, and live in a humid area, I just keep them in the freezer.

:) Barbara

Does it have to be thawed in any way? I have more freezer and barely any cupboard space. ;-)

Andy M. said:

To prevent the appearance of bugs, freeze your flour for 3-4 days when you first bring it home then store it properly and you will not have any bug issues.

Any special way to freeze? Plastic wrapped, maybe?

Apart from bugs , you shouldn't use flour or baking powder or spices that are out of date as they sort of stop working ( she says grasping for a suitable culinary term ) . Spices just taste of nothing and flour and baking powder will give poor results . Got this from experienced bakers .

Some of those bugs can eat right thru plastic bags--either to get in or to get out.

I usually put the flour bag into a big ziplock to freeze it, because I can be a little rough on stuff in the freezer, and I don't want that paper flour bag to break. I don't use glass in the freezer for the same reason. If you are more careful than I am, putting it right into the freezer is fine.

I personally would not use flour that old, unless I was desperate--I would be afraid that it might have picked up off flavors.

Flour gets a tour of duty in the freezer at my house starting the day it comes home from the store. If it's warm weather, it stays there until I need it. Unless there is a major malfunction, it can be used straight from the freezer. I don't even check the "Use by" dates.

I was going to try and make that NY Bread --- got my flour out-(bread flour) says use by june 2006 --should I pitch it and use AP flour ? Thanks for any help !

June 2006 makes it 6 years over the time you should have used it by. Seems like it should not look so good, or taste weird by now.

If it looks OK, and tastes like flour usually does, I would go ahead and use it. I presume, you stuck you hands into the flour bag and ate what stuck to them, when your mother was baking when you were a kid like I did, so you know what uncooked flour tastes lik. :)

I haven't had issues using flour straight out of the freezer. But, if I'm making sponge cake or something else fussy like that, I let it come to room temperature, after I measure it. Takes almost no time to warm up.

sparrowgrass said:
Some of those bugs can eat right thru plastic bags--either to get in or to get out.

I usually put the flour bag into a big ziplock to freeze it, because I can be a little rough on stuff in the freezer, and I don't want that paper flour bag to break. I don't use glass in the freezer for the same reason. If you are more careful than I am, putting it right into the freezer is fine.

I personally would not use flour that old, unless I was desperate--I would be afraid that it might have picked up off flavors.

Ziploc was my first choice too. :) can you do the same things with cornmeal?

Back
Top Bottom