Well, i tried it with the modified recipe and instruction
1 C Water + 1 1/2 Tbsp Water
3 C Flour
1 1/2 Tbsp Yeast
3 Tbsp Sugar
I dissolved the sugar in the water with the help of a microwave, then mixed in the yeast and let it set for several minutes. After it was nice and foamy I poured it into a large bowl, and gradually mixed in the flour until there wasn't anymore flour, then i laid it out on a cutting board and started kneading it. I wasn't sure whether putting flour on top of the dough would adversely affect the rising and the density of the dough, so i just left it out and kneaded it with naked hands.
I was hoping that the dough would settle and get less sticky, but that never really happened, though it did get better, and after about thirty minutes, I stopped kneading and dusted it with flour, kneaded it for about 30 seconds and shaped it and let it rise in a oiled bowl with plastic wrap on top.
After about 90 min it had risen about twice as much as it was originally, so i divided it into 8 pieces and shaped it into rolls with a board scraper, and set them on top of a baking pan lined with 2 layers of wax paper. After another hour they had risen again about as much as they had the last time, so i preheated the oven to 500 degrees and baked it for 5 min with steam before dropping the temperature to 450 degrees and baking it for an additional 8 min.
At that point I removed the rolls and put them on a wooden cutting board.
I think i should've let the rolls rise for a little longer, maybe 2 hours, but I'm not positive on that. I'm also not sure how the dough should've seemed after it was kneaded correctly for sufficient time as I always used flour to avoid the stickiness of the dough and effectively shape it.
But they turned out quite well in both the oven spring, the crumb, and the caramelization of the bottom crust.