"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 03-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Chausiubao
actually...that recipe doesn't have any salt in it, just the 4 ingredients i stated.

Flour, yeast, water, and sugar. sweet yeast dough?

Old 03-24-2006, 01:15 AM   #12
Senior Cook

if i don't use flour on the cutting board, should i put flour on the dough once it settles? Or on my hands? or do i just go for it and wait for the dough to lose its stickiness?

Old 03-24-2006, 10:06 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Well, i tried it with the modified recipe and instruction

1 C Water + 1 1/2 Tbsp Water
3 C Flour
1 1/2 Tbsp Yeast
3 Tbsp Sugar

I dissolved the sugar in the water with the help of a microwave, then mixed in the yeast and let it set for several minutes. After it was nice and foamy I poured it into a large bowl, and gradually mixed in the flour until there wasn't anymore flour, then i laid it out on a cutting board and started kneading it. I wasn't sure whether putting flour on top of the dough would adversely affect the rising and the density of the dough, so i just left it out and kneaded it with naked hands.

I was hoping that the dough would settle and get less sticky, but that never really happened, though it did get better, and after about thirty minutes, I stopped kneading and dusted it with flour, kneaded it for about 30 seconds and shaped it and let it rise in a oiled bowl with plastic wrap on top.

After about 90 min it had risen about twice as much as it was originally, so i divided it into 8 pieces and shaped it into rolls with a board scraper, and set them on top of a baking pan lined with 2 layers of wax paper. After another hour they had risen again about as much as they had the last time, so i preheated the oven to 500 degrees and baked it for 5 min with steam before dropping the temperature to 450 degrees and baking it for an additional 8 min.

At that point I removed the rolls and put them on a wooden cutting board.

I think i should've let the rolls rise for a little longer, maybe 2 hours, but I'm not positive on that. I'm also not sure how the dough should've seemed after it was kneaded correctly for sufficient time as I always used flour to avoid the stickiness of the dough and effectively shape it.

But they turned out quite well in both the oven spring, the crumb, and the caramelization of the bottom crust.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:41 AM   #14
Sous Chef

oh wow! they look so nice! thanks for posting a reply plus pix!

I had replied to your flour question last night before your latest post but my post seems to have disappeared (I think technical problems were the culprit - the site seemed sluggish). In brief, what I said was to try not to add too much additional flour when kneading (would defeat the point of increasing the water if you just added a lot of flour back when kneading - a little is OK) and suggested a bench scraper would help for this stage.
and I also suggested *lightly* oiling your hands/board/scraper to help with sticking.

I think you're well on your way to becoming an excellent baker. Look forward to future posts by you.

congratulations!
==================
edit - oops! see you *do* have a bench scraper - and I'm glad you cut back a bit on the yeast (I was going to suggest it but didn't want to mess too much with your original recipe)
==================
edit #2 -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chausiubao
...(after the rise in the bowl)...i divided it into 8 pieces and shaped it into rolls with a board scraper, and set them on top of a baking pan lined with 2 layers of wax paper. After... they had risen again ...i preheated the oven to 500 degrees and baked it...
I noticed in your latest post you said you had the rolls on *wax* paper. Is this a typo? Did you mean *parchment* paper? Were you actually baking the rolls in the oven with *wax* paper on the bottom???!!!

Tags
None