"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 07-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Smile Panini

Want to know what different things can go in a panini...I've had them out, and it seems there is grilled eggplant;zucchini and cheese in them. What else is put in them?....I have a good grill and someone just game me a hand press, so I guess I have what's needed to flatten them out. Thanks in advance for all and any tips...Happy Monday

Old 07-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A panini is just a sandwich. Put whatever you want in them.

You could try a Cuban. Use a crusty bread, such as the size used for submarine sandwiches, or a larger one you can cut into two pieces. Layer thinly sliced roast pork, ham and swiss cheese. Add some sliced kosher dill pickles. Brush the outsides of the roll with melted butter and go!

You could also try porvolone, genoa salami and sweet or hot capacola. Or, prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, basil and tomato.

You get the idea!

Old 07-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

HI Ella,
I've had an eggplant pannini and they can be delicious..Mine had the grilled eggplant,roasted red bell peppers, monterey jack cheese,and thinly sliced zucchini also grilled they all were brushed with evoo and garlic then this was also brushed on the inside of the foccacia bread they used. One nice thing about a pannini, you can put just about anything you desire on any type of breads and have a wonderful hot sandwich. Hope this helps just a little.

kadesma
Old 07-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Oh Kadesma, that's exactly the kind I was looking for. We have them in the summertime when we go for a drive to a small town near here. I almost always have grilled eggplant and zucchini on hand....also peppers. It's the cheese I'll have to buy....never have monterey jack in the fridge. Yum, I can hardly wait to try it....I have some rosemary foccacio in the freezer...I shall use that....oh yum again....LOL
Old 07-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Ella,
I'm glad that is what you were looking for. It's one of my favorite pannini. The rosemary foccacia sounds just perfect. Enjoy

kadesma
Old 07-04-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella/TO
It's the cheese I'll have to buy....never have monterey jack in the fridge.
I've had eggplant panini's similar, but with Fontina cheese and arugala. I would imagine this would taste similar to using pepperjack as the arugala would add a little pepperyness (is that a word ) and the Fontina is a great creamy melting cheese.

For something different you could try a dessert panini. Right now I'm here in Germany and they are always eating bread smeared with Nutella. This reminded me of an "Everyday Italian" show I saw where Giada made a Nutella panini. I'm sure it would taste good as Nutella on anything tastes pretty **** good!

Gruss,
Jason
Old 07-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
Executive Chef

If you like Nutella, there was a long thread on that very topic a while back. Do a search on the top bar, using the word 'Nutella'...
Old 07-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks Ishbel! While I don't eat a ton of Nutella myself, I do find it to be very tasty :)

Gruss,
Jason
Old 07-04-2006, 12:09 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJ621
While I don't eat a ton of Nutella myself, I do find it to be very tasty :)

Gruss,
Jason
Oh, really... I did catch you red handed the other day!!

Old 07-04-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJ621
Thanks Ishbel! While I don't eat a ton of Nutella myself, I do find it to be very tasty :)

Gruss,
Jason
It's always been too sweet for my taste, but when my family were younger, they loved it.

Tags
None