"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 07-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #11
Sous Chef

If that's the case, I'm moving to the UP

I didn't know there was anywhere in the States where pasties were commonly available! I used to live in Michigan, too! Who knew? -Sandy

Old 07-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Pasties in Michigan

I have to agree with Goodweed of the North. Upper Michigan IS pastie country and no one makes them better than "Yoopers."
My in-laws were born and raised in Calumet and Houghton and if anyone knew how to make the world's best pastie it was my MIL.
I tried so many times to duplicate them, but there was something "missing." We lived in Michigan til 1986 then to San Diego and now live in Las Vegas. We spend the summer (May thru Oct.) in Traverse City Michigan and the best pasties we've had so far are at the Mackinaw Pastie company in Mackinaw City. The west coast doesn't have a clue as to how a pastie should be made, or even what they ARE. I miss Michigan pasties so much. My MIL used flank or round steak chopped, carrots, onions, rutabega (a must) chopped fresh parsley, lots of it, and salt and pepper. She topped the pastie with a dollop of butter before folding over the dough and when you bit into her pasties you were in heaven. She originally made crust the way they do in the UP, with beef suet but switchd to Crisco because of the cholesterol problem. Her sister in law still make them with suet and the crust was unbelieveably good.. Now my mouth is watering. Looks like another trip to Mackinaw City this week.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Hello DramaQueen
I think natives of Cornwall might take issue with your first sentence
Old 07-06-2005, 10:33 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Goodweed and DramaQ

Out of curiosity, because of the presence of so many people with Cornish ancestry in the area - I just wondered whether there were other Cornish dishes which are popular over there, besides Cornish pasties?

I was thinking of specifically Cornish dishes, like Saffron cake, Fairings (a type of biscuit) and fish dishes like star-gazey pie?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Show me the Pastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Hello DramaQueen
I think natives of Cornwall might take issue with your first sentence
If any native of Cornwall will be kind enough to bring me a pastie to try, I might recant my statement.

As for the dishes you asked about, I have never heard of any of them, but we'll be taking a trip to the Upper Peninsula in a week or so and will give them a try and let you know.

Now that I think of it, my MIL used to make Saffron Bread and it was delicious. Probably the same as Saffron Cake. Saffron is big in the U.P. The Star Gazey pie has me intrigued. Gotta find out what that is.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:27 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Star gazey pie

Well look at this. I did a google search and came up with this for Star Gazey pie.

You may use herring or mackerel for this but scale them first, open and
debone. Put parsley, pepper and salt inside, roll them up. Put
bread-crumbs in bottom of a buttered pie-dish, then layer of fish, layer of
crumbs, fish, etc, before covering all with beaten egg, a few rashers of
bacon, and a good couple of dollops of cream. Put pastry over dish, with
slits in it for some fish heads to look out. When baked, stick a sprig of
fresh parsley in each fish-mouth and serve. Can you imagine the
surprises -- at seeing it and then tasting it!

For marinating pilchards or mackerel, use a "Moderate" oven and cook for
60-75 mins and that should do it for you. Otherwise, using a "Slow" oven,
leave them cooking overnight.

Geoff Ford Sydney NSW
Old 07-06-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
Master Chef

Drama Queen; If you're gonna be in the U.P. in a week or so, are you by any chance heading over to the Eastern part, namely Sault Ste. Marie? If so, let me know and I'll give you my phone number. Maybe we could meet. That would be grand. My wife is always up for meeting with new freinds.

And I'm sorry but the pastie recipe is the only cornish recipe that I know. I would guess though that other recipes have at the very least influenced the cooking styles around here. We have a lot of meat and potato people. And things like boiled dinner, meat pies, etc. are standard fair in these parts. Of course you won't find better fresh water fish anywhere in the world. We have Lake Superior, the cleanest and possibly coldest body of fresh water around. The fish from that lake are extraordinary. So much so that we tend to snub our noses at catfish, carp, bullheads, bass, etc. We dine on wallye, yellow perch, several species of salmon, lake trout, bron trout, steelhead, norther pike, muskies, rainbow and speckled trout (my absolute favorites), and even the minisule but wonderful smelt.

And then there's the wild game...
And then there's the wild rasberries, and the best tasting wild blue berries anywhere, free for the picking. I drive through the logging trails with the windows open until I smell the blueberries in the air. Then we start picking.

But this was about pasties so I'm leaving now. I must be hungry or something.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #18
Master Chef

Goodweed, every time you write about the UP you make me so homesick! I need to get back, to see family, but especially to eat!!!
Old 07-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Star Gazey Pie

That Star Gazey Pie sounds quite nice and not too difficult to make - I remember reading a recipe for it long ago - love the name. I think I'm going to give this a go.

DramaQ, your MIL's cornish pastie recipe with the dollop of butter sounds just like my grandmother's. She once told me (confidentially) that if I'm tasting something I made and it doesn't taste quite right, I could always add a dollop of butter! She was cooking and baking right into her 90's and never dieted or knew much about cholesterol - she did eat healthy food - lots of vegetables, but, loved her meat (and the fat on it). She was from a farm. I think her 'secret' was all good things in moderation. -Sandyj
Old 07-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Meeting Goodweed

Would love to meet with you Goodweed. As soon as our plans are firmed up I'll get your phone number.
As for the walleye, lake perch and Lake Superior Whitefish, I'm sure there may be better fish somewhere in this world but I doubt it. As I mentioned, we retired to Las Vegas, but we spend the summers here in Traverse City so I look forward to eating those fish while we're here and also smelt.
The raspeberries, strawberries and blueberries on the West Coast can't come anywhere near comparing to those from Michigan. Ditto on corn. Michigan has a lot going for it as a farming state and some of the best food is grown here. We spend the summer eating all of our favorite foods, then go home to recuperate and diet.

Tags
None