"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 07-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Your grandmother was right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyj
That Star Gazey Pie sounds quite nice and not too difficult to make - I remember reading a recipe for it long ago - love the name. I think I'm going to give this a go.

DramaQ, your MIL's cornish pastie recipe with the dollop of butter sounds just like my grandmother's. She once told me (confidentially) that if I'm tasting something I made and it doesn't taste quite right, I could always add a dollop of butter! She was cooking and baking right into her 90's and never dieted or knew much about cholesterol - she did eat healthy food - lots of vegetables, but, loved her meat (and the fat on it). She was from a farm. I think her 'secret' was all good things in moderation. -Sandyj
She was right. All good things in moderation. Now if I could just remember that. We grew up on veggies and fresh fruits and berries, and we eat tons of those things, but the "good" things are what we pig out on.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:45 PM   #22
Master Chef

Goodweed - it's simple ... my "adopted 3rd mother", who was also my sons godmother, was Welsh.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:47 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Goodweed - it's simple ... my "adopted 3rd mother", who was also my sons godmother, was Welsh.
All I can say is, too cool .

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:00 AM   #24
Master Chef

Drama Queen; I'm looking forward to your visit. I can't gauruntee that I'll have any fresh fish, but I know a place where I can get good meat, and we have a great selection of veggies to choose from. The fruits aren't bad either.

Let me know what you're interested in having and I'll see what we can come up with. Since we're all addicted to food, and to the cooking process, I'd be glad to invite you into our kitchen and we could see if we can create something extraordinary. I'm game for just about anything.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 07-07-2005, 05:29 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
Hi All...
I'm really want to make a very delicious pasties. I can't forget the taste of chicken pasty. And also unfortunately I can't remember it to get the same taste and to make. Everybody has own recipe I think.

Regarding to Pasty, I have new questions... I already had a question about pasty dough that its most important part for me. (I got all my answers) I think then you can fill it whatever you like. But...

1. Is there any step to add spices... Is it so important to make pasty?
2. I'm sorry but what is rutabega? Is it sweet or salty?
3. Oven is important to cook pasty? Bottom side of my pasties are always cooked and it becomes hard to bite. I have mini oven. So while top of my pasties cook well and soft but bottom side...
4. In here pasty culture is not well known. So there is no place to taste it. And also no special pasty blender. And I use my hands to make a pasty dough. If I use knife, it takes more time.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:54 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Rutebaga is known in Europe as Swede or swedish turnip - it is larger than the French style white ones with purple skins. It is traditional to add it to beef or lamb pasties in Cornwall.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Ohh yes I know turnip.. Wow does it really give a good taste...? I will try...
Old 07-07-2005, 07:56 AM   #28
Master Chef

To make a proper dough, *** the salt before mixing, then mix enough shorteneing or lard into plain white flour to make little pea-sized balls. The ingredients should be cold. If you use your hands, don't work the dough too much, the less the better. Add just enough water to make the dough balls stick together. Again, the water must be cold.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, cut into ten to 12 inch rounds, and fill with the pre-cooked ingredients. The ingredients should be pre-cooked so you can correct the seasonings before putting into the dough. Add a pat of butter or two, and fold into pasties. Bake and enjoy.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #29
Executive Chef

I've never seen a cornish pasty which has precooked vegetables and meats in them. All traditional pasties I've ever eaten in Cornwall, whether shop bought or made by friends use raw meat and uncooked veg.

This Cornish site may help msalper, as the woman who wrote it has put illustrations of each step. Just substitute your chicken for beef, and bob's your uncle!
http://www.greenchronicle.co.uk/conn...sty_recipe.htm
Old 07-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #30
Senior Cook

If we use raw meat or veg., is cooking time enough to cook inside the pasty also. I also use precooked veg. chicken and meat...
And thank you for this web site also. i will check it. It seems to be helpfull like you..
Thanks

Tags
None