"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 03-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Shoo, thanks.
This is turning into a lot of "work"

Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Don't worry, pacanis. If you are unfamiliar with this kind of baking, it can be a bit intimidating the first time. Although, once you go through the process, it will begin to make sense and the next time you make it, it will be easy. I can practically do it with my eyes closed now. I even have the ingredients list memorized. There's not much more to remember after that.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

It's a bit intimidating all right.
I'm not sure how the next step went, still have another 5 minutes of "rest" time.
How do you "lightly" dust something with flour?! I've got clumps of flour on my counter and other areas with none. It got worse when I tried to spread it around with my fingers. Same thing when I tried to lightly dust the dough before covering with plastic wrap for 15 minutes.... And then the stuff was so sticky I lost about 15% of it to the bowl I glumped it out of and my fingers...
Hey. I've got nothing else to do today anyway

Well, let's see how easy this molten mess shapes into a ball.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Don't worry, pacanis, the gooey, blob will surprise you. You can reach into your flour container with your hand and scoop out a bunch of flour and toss it over the dough. You'll wind up with a floury mess, but that's okay.

One thing I do is to keep an empty, washed-out plastic spice shaker (from a spice I've used up) with the snap-on shaker inside top. I fill it with flour and use that to dust my bread and to dust the insides of cake/bread pans that have to be greased and floured.

Don't let this process discourage you. After you're hooked, you'll crave this delicious bread.

One thing you might do is read the original thread about N.Y. Times bread while yours is baking and remind yourself of the questions/flubs, etc. others have experienced. Trust me, you're not alone.

I'm a very experienced bread baker and even after reading the recipe and seeing the guy from Sullivan Street Bakery make the bread on Martha Stewart, I was more than skeptical. It's magic.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
One thing I do is to keep an empty, washed-out plastic spice shaker (from a spice I've used up) with the snap-on shaker inside top. I fill it with flour and use that to dust my bread and to dust the insides of cake/bread pans that have to be greased and floured.
that is an excellent idea about the shaker!
Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
One thing you might do is read the original thread about N.Y. Times bread while yours is baking and remind yourself of the questions/flubs, etc. others have experienced. Trust me, you're not alone.
Is that why that thread's so looong?
I read it far enough to get the recipe printed.
I'll have to go through it. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Mmmmm-that bread looks good !! I jumped into this forum to ask if anyone had a good recipe, for a nice, crusty bread, and like a beacon from the heavens, I stumble across this...........hint-hint!?
Old 03-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #38
Cook

Quote:
Don't worry, pacanis, the gooey, blob will surprise you. You can reach into your flour container with your hand and scoop out a bunch of flour and toss it over the dough. You'll wind up with a floury mess, but that's okay.

Don't let this process discourage you. After you're hooked, you'll crave this delicious bread.

I'm a very experienced bread baker and even after reading the recipe and seeing the guy from Sullivan Street Bakery make the bread on Martha Stewart, I was more than skeptical. It's magic.
I have tried several of the no-knead methods and after going to the cooking class at Publix and having Zoe & Jeff explain how simple it is and to not try to hard, I might say I'm a convert. Time will tell.. I did get their book btw, and it is more than a simple recipe, it is a treatise on adapting their basic recipe to do a lot of types of bread (I'm doing some flatbreads tonight).

Go to this site if you like and look around, I am NOT shilling for these folks other than the fact I have been baking bread half of my life and these methods demystify the process. Here is the site.

Zoe Bakes

[edit] btw- Amazon has the book discounted [/edit]

Old 03-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
Mmmmm-that bread looks good !! I jumped into this forum to ask if anyone had a good recipe, for a nice, crusty bread, and like a beacon from the heavens, I stumble across this...........hint-hint!?
the photo of my bread is from this recipe http://tinyurl.com/3aad4f

also another thread with photos (not mine) NY Times bread recipe--what FUN
Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Eric Rausch, at Bread Baking Instructional Videos and Baking Supplies. has some excellent videos on the no knead bread recipe. He also has several different variations, including sourdough.

I bake the NK bread about every other weekend in a cast iron Dutch Oven. I have also used a Corning ware 1.5 qt casserole dish.

Tags
None