"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Shoo, thanks.
This is turning into a lot of "work"
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
Don't worry, pacanis. If you are unfamiliar with this kind of baking, it can be a bit intimidating the first time. Although, once you go through the process, it will begin to make sense and the next time you make it, it will be easy. I can practically do it with my eyes closed now. I even have the ingredients list memorized. There's not much more to remember after that.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
It's a bit intimidating all right.
I'm not sure how the next step went, still have another 5 minutes of "rest" time.
How do you "lightly" dust something with flour?! I've got clumps of flour on my counter and other areas with none. It got worse when I tried to spread it around with my fingers. Same thing when I tried to lightly dust the dough before covering with plastic wrap for 15 minutes.... And then the stuff was so sticky I lost about 15% of it to the bowl I glumped it out of and my fingers...
Hey. I've got nothing else to do today anyway

Well, let's see how easy this molten mess shapes into a ball.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:10 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
Don't worry, pacanis, the gooey, blob will surprise you. You can reach into your flour container with your hand and scoop out a bunch of flour and toss it over the dough. You'll wind up with a floury mess, but that's okay.

One thing I do is to keep an empty, washed-out plastic spice shaker (from a spice I've used up) with the snap-on shaker inside top. I fill it with flour and use that to dust my bread and to dust the insides of cake/bread pans that have to be greased and floured.

Don't let this process discourage you. After you're hooked, you'll crave this delicious bread.

One thing you might do is read the original thread about N.Y. Times bread while yours is baking and remind yourself of the questions/flubs, etc. others have experienced. Trust me, you're not alone.

I'm a very experienced bread baker and even after reading the recipe and seeing the guy from Sullivan Street Bakery make the bread on Martha Stewart, I was more than skeptical. It's magic.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #35
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
One thing I do is to keep an empty, washed-out plastic spice shaker (from a spice I've used up) with the snap-on shaker inside top. I fill it with flour and use that to dust my bread and to dust the insides of cake/bread pans that have to be greased and floured.
that is an excellent idea about the shaker!
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
One thing you might do is read the original thread about N.Y. Times bread while yours is baking and remind yourself of the questions/flubs, etc. others have experienced. Trust me, you're not alone.
Is that why that thread's so looong?
I read it far enough to get the recipe printed.
I'll have to go through it. Thanks for all your help.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #37
Sous Chef
 
smoke king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: elkhorn, ne
Posts: 985
Mmmmm-that bread looks good !! I jumped into this forum to ask if anyone had a good recipe, for a nice, crusty bread, and like a beacon from the heavens, I stumble across this...........hint-hint!?
__________________
smoke king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #38
Cook
 
GadgetGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Don't worry, pacanis, the gooey, blob will surprise you. You can reach into your flour container with your hand and scoop out a bunch of flour and toss it over the dough. You'll wind up with a floury mess, but that's okay.

One thing I do is to keep an empty, washed-out plastic spice shaker (from a spice I've used up) with the snap-on shaker inside top. I fill it with flour and use that to dust my bread and to dust the insides of cake/bread pans that have to be greased and floured.

Don't let this process discourage you. After you're hooked, you'll crave this delicious bread.

One thing you might do is read the original thread about N.Y. Times bread while yours is baking and remind yourself of the questions/flubs, etc. others have experienced. Trust me, you're not alone.

I'm a very experienced bread baker and even after reading the recipe and seeing the guy from Sullivan Street Bakery make the bread on Martha Stewart, I was more than skeptical. It's magic.
I have tried several of the no-knead methods and after going to the cooking class at Publix and having Zoe & Jeff explain how simple it is and to not try to hard, I might say I'm a convert. Time will tell.. I did get their book btw, and it is more than a simple recipe, it is a treatise on adapting their basic recipe to do a lot of types of bread (I'm doing some flatbreads tonight).

Go to this site if you like and look around, I am NOT shilling for these folks other than the fact I have been baking bread half of my life and these methods demystify the process. Here is the site.

Zoe Bakes

[edit] btw- Amazon has the book discounted [/edit]

.
__________________
Finding offense where none is intended is a form of selfishness.
GadgetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #39
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: E. Pa.
Posts: 8,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
Mmmmm-that bread looks good !! I jumped into this forum to ask if anyone had a good recipe, for a nice, crusty bread, and like a beacon from the heavens, I stumble across this...........hint-hint!?
the photo of my bread is from this recipe http://tinyurl.com/3aad4f

also another thread with photos (not mine) NY Times bread recipe--what FUN
__________________
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #40
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mounds, Oklahoma USA
Posts: 134
Eric Rausch, at Bread Baking Instructional Videos and Baking Supplies. has some excellent videos on the no knead bread recipe. He also has several different variations, including sourdough.

I bake the NK bread about every other weekend in a cast iron Dutch Oven. I have also used a Corning ware 1.5 qt casserole dish.
__________________

__________________
oldcampcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.