"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
Well folks I made my pizza dough yesterday from a recipe off youtube, and i am not happy with it. the edge was hard and did not brown, even after cooking on a stone at high heat.
Any one have a good pizza dough recipe they want to share?
If you only want one you've come to the wrong place!

I take a cup of water and microwave it to 110 degrees F, add a packet of dry yeast along with a teaspoon of white sugar and a tablespoon of oil or butter. When the yeast foams I stir in a cup and a half of flour, dump it onto a board. I work in another cup to cup and a half of flour and a teaspoon of salt while kneading for approx. 6 to 8 minutes. I place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a dish towel. When it has doubled in bulk I spread it in the pizza pan and top it or I put it into a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator for up to three days. This is enough dough for a 10X15 sheet or two rounds. I prefer to use dough that has ripened in the refrigerator and it also makes the job of making a pizza much easier because most of the work can is done ahead of time. The amount of flour is a big variable, you need to learn to work by feel and by eye to determine the right amount. Have fun!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Does anyone make extra dough or make a recipe of dough specifically for garlic rolls?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Does anyone make extra dough or make a recipe of dough specifically for garlic rolls?
I make a batch of dough for two pizzas and freeze one. I've never made garlic rolls with extra dough.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I make a batch of dough for two pizzas and freeze one. I've never made garlic rolls with extra dough.
Once I discovered that most pizza/Italian-American restaurants use pizza dough to make garlic rolls, I started doing the same.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Once I discovered that most pizza/Italian-American restaurants use pizza dough to make garlic rolls, I started doing the same.
Just add garlic powder, minced garlic?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
What temperature are you cooking at? How long do you preheat the oven? Where in the oven is the stone?
Around 400 i have a old gas stove, no temp settings on it, so i guesstimate
oven is reheatetd, stone on bottom rack.

The dough just isn't like i get at a pizza shop.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Just add garlic powder, minced garlic?
Fresh garlic, grated on a micro plane, then steeped in olive oil. I like to add fresh, finely chopped parsley. Pour this over as soon as the rolls come out of the oven and add a generous amount of finely grated parmesan on top.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

Try this. Put the stone on a shelf about 6"-9" below the top of the oven. Pizza ovens have low ceilings to reflect the heat back onto the top of the pizza. This will approximate that. You will get a browner crust and some color on the cheese and toppings.

Preheat the oven to a higher temp if you can, around 500F, and let it preheat for a while. It takes a longer time for the stone to reach temperature.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Fresh garlic, grated on a micro plane, then steeped in olive oil. I like to add fresh, finely chopped parsley. Pour this over as soon as the rolls come out of the oven and add a generous amount of finely grated parmesan on top.
Interesting. So no garlic in the dough? When I make onion bagels, I add onion powder and toasted onion flakes to the dough. The flavor permeates the entire bagel and the onion doesn't burn when you toast the bagel.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:

It may be the flour you use, the age of the dough, the temp of a commercial oven, the use of flavor enhancers by the pizza shop. Next time you stop in at your favorite pizza shop for a slice be up front and ask them what makes the dough they use special, most will be happy to talk to you. You may not be able to duplicate it at home, but it will help you understand why yours is different.

Tags
dough, pizza