Pizza dough problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
I have tried many different recipe's for pizza dough, each time i make it, when the final step comes to rolling/stretching it out, it continues to go back into it self, I let it rest, knead it. I can get it stretched out to 12", but it pulls itself back less than that by the time i am ready to put it into the oven. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried many different recipe's for pizza dough, each time i make it, when the final step comes to rolling/stretching it out, it continues to go back into it self, I let it rest, knead it. I can get it stretched out to 12", but it pulls itself back less than that by the time i am ready to put it into the oven. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All I can suggest is that you have to give the dough time for the proteins to relax.

Is this what you do? After mixing/kneading the dough, let it double in size. Then punch it down, portion it and roll it into a ball and let it rest/rise again. If it shrinks when you try to make the crust, just let it rest more.

If you do something different, pleas elaborate.

All I can suggest is that you have to give the dough time for the proteins to relax.

Is this what you do? After mixing/kneading the dough, let it double in size. Then punch it down, portion it and roll it into a ball and let it rest/rise again. If it shrinks when you try to make the crust, just let it rest more.

If you do something different, pleas elaborate.

I make it, let it rise, punch it down, and let raise again, I am not kneading it after rising, just forming after the 2nd rise, and making the pizza, even after i make the pizza, the thickness doubles, which i don't want, i want a thin crust, so i guess i need to knead it more, which i will try next time.

I make it, let it rise, punch it down, and let raise again, I am not kneading it after rising, just forming after the 2nd rise, and making the pizza, even after i make the pizza, the thickness doubles, which i don't want, i want a thin crust, so i guess i need to knead it more, which i will try next time.

Resting will help with the shrinking. It will not prevent the crust from rising in the oven. If you want a thinner end result, stretch the dough thinner before you top it.

A few things that will have an effect on the problem your having may be:

1- the flour... use high protein flour with a higher gluten is best.
2- the temp... cold dough will not strech. Dough should be at about 72- 80 degrees.
3- don't put warm water in a cold bowl, I always run the bottom of a bowl under hot water before adding water and yeast.
4- adding oil to dough will toughten it.
5- I knead the dough for 30 minutes in a KA stand mixer. Let rise for 2-4 hours then rise again for 2 hours.
6- flip it on to a floured board press down with your finger tips and roll it out.

Last edited:
Try to use as little flour as possible when making your dough, I find a slightly sticky dough is easier to get into the pan.

I don't punch my dough down after it has risen. I dump it onto the pizza pan and spread it out with my oiled hands, it usually does not spring back.

I have also found that dough I have made three days ahead and stored in the refrigerator to ripen never snaps back.

Keep at it until you find the best technique for your situation!

If you want a thin and crispy crust, pat and stretch your dough out to size, as folks said above, let it sit for 10 minutes or so, then use your rolling pin to flatten out the dough even more. Top and bake immediately.

To control the thickness of your crust, once you have it shaped and ready to put the ingredients on it, dock the dough first. Take two forks and prick the dough all over. It will keep it from rising again in the oven. :angel:

Well folks I made my pizza dough yesterday from a recipe off youtube, and i am not happy with it. the edge was hard and did not brown, even after cooking on a stone at high heat.
Any one have a good pizza dough recipe they want to share?

Well folks I made my pizza dough yesterday from a recipe off youtube, and i am not happy with it. the edge was hard and did not brown, even after cooking on a stone at high heat.

What temperature are you cooking at? How long do you preheat the oven? Where in the oven is the stone?

If you only want one you've come to the wrong place! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I take a cup of water and microwave it to 110 degrees F, add a packet of dry yeast along with a teaspoon of white sugar and a tablespoon of oil or butter. When the yeast foams I stir in a cup and a half of flour, dump it onto a board. I work in another cup to cup and a half of flour and a teaspoon of salt while kneading for approx. 6 to 8 minutes. I place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a dish towel. When it has doubled in bulk I spread it in the pizza pan and top it or I put it into a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator for up to three days. This is enough dough for a 10X15 sheet or two rounds. I prefer to use dough that has ripened in the refrigerator and it also makes the job of making a pizza much easier because most of the work can is done ahead of time. The amount of flour is a big variable, you need to learn to work by feel and by eye to determine the right amount. Have fun!

Last edited:
Does anyone make extra dough or make a recipe of dough specifically for garlic rolls?:yum:

I make a batch of dough for two pizzas and freeze one. I've never made garlic rolls with extra dough.

Once I discovered that most pizza/Italian-American restaurants use pizza dough to make garlic rolls, I started doing the same.

What temperature are you cooking at? How long do you preheat the oven? Where in the oven is the stone?

Around 400 i have a old gas stove, no temp settings on it, so i guesstimate
oven is reheatetd, stone on bottom rack.

The dough just isn't like i get at a pizza shop.

Just add garlic powder, minced garlic?

Fresh garlic, grated on a micro plane, then steeped in olive oil. I like to add fresh, finely chopped parsley. Pour this over as soon as the rolls come out of the oven and add a generous amount of finely grated parmesan on top.:yum:

Try this. Put the stone on a shelf about 6"-9" below the top of the oven. Pizza ovens have low ceilings to reflect the heat back onto the top of the pizza. This will approximate that. You will get a browner crust and some color on the cheese and toppings.

Preheat the oven to a higher temp if you can, around 500ºF, and let it preheat for a while. It takes a longer time for the stone to reach temperature.

Fresh garlic, grated on a micro plane, then steeped in olive oil. I like to add fresh, finely chopped parsley. Pour this over as soon as the rolls come out of the oven and add a generous amount of finely grated parmesan on top.:yum:

Interesting. So no garlic in the dough? When I make onion bagels, I add onion powder and toasted onion flakes to the dough. The flavor permeates the entire bagel and the onion doesn't burn when you toast the bagel.

It may be the flour you use, the age of the dough, the temp of a commercial oven, the use of flavor enhancers by the pizza shop. Next time you stop in at your favorite pizza shop for a slice be up front and ask them what makes the dough they use special, most will be happy to talk to you. You may not be able to duplicate it at home, but it will help you understand why yours is different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom