Pizza dough problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. So no garlic in the dough? When I make onion bagels, I add onion powder and toasted onion flakes to the dough. The flavor permeates the entire bagel and the onion doesn't burn when you toast the bagel.

As you pull the rolls apart, the infused oil mixture gets soak up in the rolls.:yum:

We always prebake our thin crusts as they seem to be crisper that way. Not cooked thru all the way, just partially cooked. Don't seriously load them up with toppings either that take a long time to cook or melt in case of cheese.

To get a thin crust, I let the dough rise twice, just a plain old pizza dough and I do use just a touch of olive oil in my dough. After the second rise, I make my dough balls and let them sit for a bit, usually around 15 minutes or so. Then I flatten out with fingers, then use a heavy marble rolling pin to flatten out more, then start stretching by hand starting with dough over my fist and pulling/stretching. I'll also let gravity help by holding up dough in a couple of places and stretching it out working around. At the end, I usually use the marble rolling pin again to get a relatively flat even surface. I get REALLY thin dough, it just takes some time and effort but it's worth it cause that's how we like it.

I also don't usually do much bigger than 12" or so pizzas, especially with that thin of a dough because it will tear easily.

Also, you can't let the dough sit after you've shaped it. It will continue to rise.

We usually do ours on the grill or in the big green egg over hardwood. Sometimes we use a stone, sometimes not, no rhyme or reason why just whatever gets done. As Andy noted though, you will need to let a stone heat. Most books usually say about 1/2 hour at temp.

The dough here is a little thicker than what I'd normally do but the toppings are a little heavy too. This is a crawfish pizza.

36788-albums799-picture5519.jpg

callmaker60 are you sure that you use the exactly quantity of ingredient?

I use to rise my pizza 24 hours at least (sometimes 48 hours) and cook it about 20-30 minutes at 240 degrees.

yep, i measure everything exact.

Be careful about measuring, when making bread, it is not always a good thing.

The volume of flour is highly variable. I always hold back at least the last cup of flour called for in a recipe for yeast dough and only add what the dough wants or needs to make a nice smooth pliable slightly sticky dough. When it comes to baking a scale is much better, for measuring flour, than a measuring cup. If you don't have a scale at least fluff or sift your flour before scooping and measuring.

Keep trying, it is worth the effort!

Well folks, i made dough last night.
Let it rise one time, then cut it in half and wrapped in plastic wrap, put into fridge overnight, took it out a little while ago, kneaded it a while, rolled it out, docked the dough put on a metal pizza pan, topping, and baked at 400 for around 12 minutes, and it came out great.
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Let it rise one time, then cut it in half and wrapped in plastic wrap, put into fridge overnight, took it out a little while ago, kneaded it a while, rolled it out, docked the dough put on a metal pizza pan, topping, and baked at 400 for around 12 minutes, and it came out great.

Nothing tastes better than success, congratulations! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A few things that will have an effect on the problem your having may be:

1- the flour... use high protein flour with a higher gluten is best.
2- the temp... cold dough will not strech. Dough should be at about 72- 80 degrees.
3- don't put warm water in a cold bowl, I always run the bottom of a bowl under hot water before adding water and yeast.
4- adding oil to dough will toughten it.
5- I knead the dough for 30 minutes in a KA stand mixer. Let rise for 2-4 hours then rise again for 2 hours.
6- flip it on to a floured board press down with your finger tips and roll it out.

Thats quite a long time to knead isn't it? Any home mixer but a KA would be destroyed!
I also agree with dough temperature. If the dough is room temp and not cold, it is very easy to stretch out.
I learned the hard way by trying to roll out cold dough. It does not work.

Around 400 i have a old gas stove, no temp settings on it, so i guesstimate
oven is reheatetd, stone on bottom rack.

The dough just isn't like i get at a pizza shop.

It never will be like the pizza shop unless you borrow their pizza oven.

As you pull the rolls apart, the infused oil mixture gets soak up in the rolls.:yum:

Sounds like Mario The Baker garlic rolls. We had a restaurant in N. Miami called Mary's many years ago. They had the very best garlic sticks ever made. Same principle. Heavy garlic infused oil, salt and a hint of parsley.
You did say you were from Davie right?

Was the crust as good as the pizza shop?

Sounds like Mario The Baker garlic rolls. We had a restaurant in N. Miami called Mary's many years ago. They had the very best garlic sticks ever made. Same principle. Heavy garlic infused oil, salt and a hint of parsley.
You did say you were from Davie right?

I've had Mary's (on 7th ave) garlic sticks. Place is long gone. I'm from Hialeah, but I now live in the Pines. Davie is north and east of me.

I've had Mary's (on 7th ave) garlic sticks. Place is long gone. I'm from Hialeah, but I now live in the Pines. Davie is north and east of me.

Yes Craig. I grew up in N. Miami and ate there (Mary's) regularly as a kid.
I know its been gone even before I left S. Florida.
I also lived in Davie for a few years. NW 78 ave just a block south of Stirling road.
My ex wife lives in Pembroke Pines.

I worked for Seaboard Coast Line RR in Hialeah from 1972 - 1980.

I was born and raised in Miami and have lived all over south Florida. Dade and Broward counties.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom