"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
View Poll Results: What Is Your Favorite Stuffing/Dressing? - Poll
Traditional 21 60.00%
Corn Bread 9 25.71%
Oyster/Clam (Seafood) 3 8.57%
Wild Rice 1 2.86%
Sausage/Chorizo 3 8.57%
Currents/Nuts (Raisin, Apple, Cranberry, Chestnut, etc) 3 8.57%
Veggie/Mushroom 0 0%
Couscous 0 0%
Out Of A Box 1 2.86%
Other 2 5.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #11
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne

It's my favorite part of the meal. And being from Lancaster County, PA, I want plain old bread "filling". Just bread, butter, celery, onions, broth, & some seasoning. That's it - no extra, added stuff! They don't do things that way up here in New England! And it upsets me every year because someone else always has to make the stuffing!
One of my husband's favorite parts of the meal is scalloped oysters. That was a new one on me, too! I found an excellent recipe for them last year.

Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:01 AM   #12
Executive Chef
I like a sausage meat and apple stuffing, but my favourite for chicken and turkey is plain old British sage and onion stuffing: bread crumbs, onions, chopped fresh sage leaves and freshly milled black pepper. I don't like stuffing cooked inside the bird, I always cook it separately.

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:30 AM   #13
Senior Cook
For us it is traditional bread style with a kick, fresh sage sausage, cream of mushroom soup, fresh slice muchrooms, heavy on the onions, fresh farm eggs, lots of fresh sage and ground black pepper. Roasted in the bird of course....
"The only thing I am giving up today is...giving up!"
Brianschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:41 AM   #14
Master Chef
Corinne, please share your scalloped oyster recipe...I love them, but haven't been happy with the recipes I've tried.
My favorite stuffing is "Dorothy Jean's Chicken Casserole". I've posted the recipe here a couple of times. At Thanksgiving, I usually add oysters to it in addition to the chicken.
I like my stuffing cooked separately from the bird. I want it with a good crust on the bottom, moist inside, and browned on the top.
I love the stuff so much I can eat it cold!
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
My favourite stuffing is the one with chestnut... precooked and crumbled ones mixed with shredded onion and carrots and bread crumbs, herbs... we love chestnuts and it really complements the turkey nicely...
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
traditional, cornbread, and wild rice. My mom does her little asian flair with her turkey. She does a sticky rice with peas, chinese sausage, and a few other things. I like that also.
Vicious Vaness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #17
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by texasgirl
This might sound a little silly, but, what are ya'll refering to as traditional?
I always thought that my mammaw did traditional with cornbread.

She cooks the cornbread, then mixes it with herbs, eggs, celery, onion, broth from the turkey juices and not sure what all else.
Sowwy - shoulda' realized that 'traditional' means different things in different parts of the country! Traditional to an ex-Pennsylvanian is a stuffing made of stale white bread, torn up, and lots of celery and onion sauteed in butter, with a little chicken broth added; then lots of sage, marjoram, and thyme.

I've tweaked it from gramma's recipe by adding some onion powder and garlic powder, and fresh chopped parsley at the end. Always done in a casserole dish, never the bird, for crunchies!
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #18
Senior Cook
traditional, but with walnuts and mushrooms and sage, and the bread cant be those dry cubies you buy in the box... got to tear it yourself for the right texture.
HappyAvocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:55 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I would have to choose the traditional stuffing. I love to make it from scratch. My family and I make stuffing alot and not just for thanksgiving. We'll have it with a wide varietie of foods like chicken, beef, lamb, and sometimes with spaghetti. But we definatly make it every holiday. MMMMMMMMM...STUFFING.
Marishka_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #20
Executive Chef
traditional is the local custom you are used to. if one were scandinavian, a traditional roast bird dressing would have nuts and fruits such as almonds and prunes or apples, mixed with the breading and savories.

anyone here do a traditional chocolate marshmallow graham cracker stuffing??

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote