"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 07-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Well I'm bumping an old post with a question... I tried making this bread last night and it took FOREVER to cook. My oven runs pretty close to accurate, I had a thermometer in and it showed 350, and the pizza I cooked afterwards came out perfectly and on time. Wondering if maybe I put in too much banana? I used 3 like the recipe said but maybe they were just too big. Even after it cooked for almost 2 hours the center is still fairly dense and moist, not bready like I'm used to... More fudgey. I covered it with tinfoil for part of the baking because the outside was in danger of becoming too brown and crispy.

The only things I can think of that I might have messed up on is
a) too much banana
b) I use a dark metal loaf pan, I haven't noticed any problems in the past but it might have affected timing....
c) covering it part way through to slow the browning...

Gotta say, even slightly moister than I was expecting this is a REALLY good banana bread. I'm gonna have to start adding different kinds of spices when I make it and see how good I can get my house to smell :P

Old 07-27-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

This is supposed to be a fairly moist bread. I would say that 3 medium bananas or 2 large would be best and because you want it chunked, you don't want the banana too ripe. You shouldn't need to cover it but I also don't see that would cause a problem. The dark pan could cook the top and outsides a little faster, but you would have the affect of the centre being near raw and the outsides hard if this was the case....specially after two hours!

Hope that helps! Maybe GB or others who made it previously can chime in with some extra pointers. I have some bananas so I think I will give this a try.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I did a loaf about a week ago with two over ripe bananas - recipe time was 30 minutes but the toothpick kept me going for 45.

two hrs sounds a bit over the top - was the baking 'container' per recommendation?
doing things like baking in a sauce pan vs the more traditional loaf pan can drastically affect how the middle cooks.

did it rise properly? dead baking powder makes for really kewl & wet bricks . . .
Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I used a load pan, my baking powder is no more than a month old... I'm going to make a second batch today with 2 bananas and see if they were the problem...

Tags
None