"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Alix only a suggestion: If you want to make your dough now and bake later, the refrigerator can hold dough made with water(except for plain bread dough)as long as 5 days. If milk, and at least 1/4 cup sugar are used, the limit is 3 days. To prepare dough, grease the top well, cover with moisture proof wrap and then a damp cloth. Keep the cloth damp. When you're ready to bake,shape the dough and let it rise until double, 1-1/2- to 2 hours. If you're called away while preparing dough, just pick up where you left off. Dough will wait as long as 15 minutes. If you can't shape dough after it has doubled, just punch it down to get out the air, cover and let rise again. The next rising will take less time.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #22
Everymom

Pbear, sorry, proofing was intended to mean rising in the oven. And as I have said, I turn my oven OFF and put the dough in to rise. Its always worked before, and I was puzzled this time about why it didn't. Thought perhaps there was too much residual heat in there and it killed the yeast. I have since learned my yeast is the culprit and while the best before date is a ways off...the yeast SUCKS.

Aria, thanks, and I may try a long rise (overnight or several days) at some point, but usually I like to do the bread for the day we want it.

May I just say thank you again to you all for your wonderful help? Skilletlicker, Pbear, Aria, Candocook, Kadesma, DinaFine you were all a huge help to me. Thank you so much.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Okay, now I get it. FWIW, this is why I always proof yeast (in the sense I defined it) before mixing up the dough.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #24
Sous Chef

Question what was the yeast you used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I have since learned my yeast is the culprit and while the best before date is a ways off...the yeast SUCKS.
hi Alix

just out of idle curiousity, what was the brand of yeast you were using (and, if you remember, what was the expiration date on the package)? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #25
Everymom

It was bakipan yeast, and the date was early Jan/07. Sorry, can't give you a better date than that.

And Pbear, I think I will do that from now on. I just thought I'd read somewhere that you shouldn't do that with the active yeast.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:20 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I've read plenty of sources that say you shouldn't need to proof modern yeast, but I don't think I've ever seen one that said it was a bad idea. I do have a vague recollection, though, of having read that it's not good to leave the proofed yeast sitting around for long (something about exhausting itself), so I always set up everything else, then proof just before mixing up the dough. FWIW, I've never collected statistics, but I'd say proofing shows a problem about one time in twenty (this includes low vigor, more often than outright dead). And my yeast never goes past expiration.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #27
Everymom

Perhaps thats what I read as well. Its not like I memorized it. LOL. In any case, I think I will be proofing the yeast more regularly now to be sure it is viable. I've learned MY lesson.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #28
Sous Chef

If your yeast is active dry yeast, then it should be dissolved in a little warm water prior to use. You only need to proof it if you think it is out-of-date. Click here for more information.

If your yeast is instant yeast (sometimes labeled "Bread Machine" yeast), then it is intended to be added to the dry ingredients. You should not dissolve it in water.

Other than these differences, you can substitute active dry yeast for instant yeast (and vice versa) if you adjust the amount slightly.

If the recipe calls for active dry yeast and you only have instant yeast, then reduce the amount by about 25% (for example, if the recipe calls for 1 tsp active dry yeast, you would use 3/4 tsp instant yeast).

If the recipe calls for instant yeast and you only have active dry yeast, then increase the amount by about 25% (for example, if the recipe calls for 1 tsp instant yeast, you would use 1-1/4 tsp active dry yeast). For a conversion chart for yeast, click here

Yeast keeps best when stored in your freezer. That's where I store mine, in a zip lock bag to make sure that moisture doesn't get in once the packet or bag has been opened. Yeast stored this way can stay strong for several years, well past the expiration date, as numerous posters to this forum have pointed out over the years.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #29
Sous Chef

In this recipe it doesn't matter.
The yeast I am using is probably years old--from Costco in that BIG package from when I used to make bread more regularly. It's been in the freezer.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfuscpersona
If the recipe calls for active dry yeast and you only have instant yeast, then reduce the amount by about 25% (for example, if the recipe calls for 1 tsp active dry yeast, you would use 3/4 tsp instant yeast).

If the recipe calls for instant yeast and you only have active dry yeast, then increase the amount by about 25% (for example, if the recipe calls for 1 tsp instant yeast, you would use 1-1/4 tsp active dry yeast). For a conversion chart for yeast, click here

This is such a minor point that it is hardly worth mentioning but, it is correct that you decrease by 25% when substituting instant for active dry. Going the opposite direction, however, you increase by 33%. It is easiest to see this by looking at the last line in the conversion chart.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None