"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
Head Chef

Well, the bread is very tasty and DW said it's nice and light in texture and has a reasonable crumb. I followed the directions and only allowed it to proof for 45 minutes after shaping. Next time I'll let it go a full 60 minutes. Regardless, it should make some good toast in the morning.

The next bake will be w/o the cocoa powder. Don't see the need for it, and it will deliver a different flavor and lighter color. This is a recipe that will evolve to our tastes. When I nail it and Mama says to "leave it alone," I'll post the revised recipe. I look at other people's recipes as an initial guideline, and you need to tweak it to your personal taste.

Joe

Old 09-12-2008, 11:28 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Joe:

My loaf ( I did a half recipe) just came out of the oven. It smell delicious. My only variation is that I used Sunshine Barley Malt instead of molasses (I like it better) and ground caraway for reaso0n already stated. Instead of misting, I threw a handfull of ice cubes on the bottom of the (gas) oven. I'm taking pictures along the way and will post after slicing, IF I can figure out how to. I only did the 45 minute rise after shaping into a round loaf (HUGE!) and it was plenty of time. Probably cuz of weather differences?

Old 09-13-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
Joe:

My loaf ( I did a half recipe) just came out of the oven. It smell delicious. My only variation is that I used Sunshine Barley Malt instead of molasses (I like it better) and ground caraway for reaso0n already stated. Instead of misting, I threw a handfull of ice cubes on the bottom of the (gas) oven. I'm taking pictures along the way and will post after slicing, IF I can figure out how to. I only did the 45 minute rise after shaping into a round loaf (HUGE!) and it was plenty of time. Probably cuz of weather differences?
Sounds good Dave. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

If you look at the bottom of the slice from my loaf (seam side), you'll see that it's quite compact and didn't appear to rise like the rest of the loaf. That was my only concern. I'm very accustomed to misting, and I trade off with your method as well. Either way you get a nice crust with the steam.

Joe

Tags
None

« Flour | I did it! »