"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Head Chef

Rye Bread Recipe

OK, I'll admit I'm not gifted in the technology department, but the search function on DC has me totally baffled. So, I'll just ask my question here and if someone can direct me to another post I'll leave quietly.

I'm looking for a SIMPLE yet TASTY and LIGHTWEIGHT rye bread recipe. I don't want rye that weighs a ton, just a loaf that you know it's rye bread, and will make nice sammiches. I also don't want to have to buy any exotic ingredients. Hope I didn't make it too limiting or appear to be too fussy. I just want a nice, simple recipe that can be made in 3 hours or so. No overnight poolishes or 14 days on a camel train in a dry dessert for the gluten to develop.

Joe

Old 09-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Master Chef

Will this do ?

George's Light Rye Bread Recipe | Simply Recipes

Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Master Chef

There is Rye flour in the store, I forgot the name of the brand, it has very decent recipe on the box. I tried it once in the past. It was just what you are asking for.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Thanks LC61, that looks like just what I'm after. Now to go check the store for rye flour and pick up some molasses. Everything else is in the pantry. Woo Hoo!!!! Cheap thrill.

Joe
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

same deal as outback's brown bread, there is a recipe for their rye bread. again, just google.babe
Old 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I use this Rye Bread Recipe. I have sent it as far as Atlanta. My whole family loves it. You make the Rye Sour the day before. After you make the first batch, there will be a little sour left over. Save it and put it in the fridge. Day before you make more bread, add the same amount of Rye flour to the sour that you used in the recipe (3 Cups). then add water and mix till you get to the original consistency. Leave the sour on the counter covered overnight (use a big Bowl). It keeps going on from there in that way.

To add flavor, you can order King Arthur's Rye Bread enhancer and get a flavor boost.

Guarantee you'll love it.

AC
Old 09-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
I use this Rye Bread Recipe. I have sent it as far as Atlanta. My whole family loves it. You make the Rye Sour the day before. After you make the first batch, there will be a little sour left over. Save it and put it in the fridge. Day before you make more bread, add the same amount of Rye flour to the sour that you used in the recipe (3 Cups). then add water and mix till you get to the original consistency. Leave the sour on the counter covered overnight (use a big Bowl). It keeps going on from there in that way.

To add flavor, you can order King Arthur's Rye Bread enhancer and get a flavor boost.

AC
Thanks for the recipe, AC. I might try it down the road, but for now I wanted to stay away from starters and overnight fermentation. I'm sure it's delicious, but I'm looking for simple right now. Kind of like crawling before walking.

Joe
Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post

AC
Thanks for the link to B. Clayton's recipe. It's a succinct reminder of the essential steps in making a good ryebread. Even if the use of altus may have it's origins in finding a use for unsold bread, it certainly seems to enhance the flavor of new loaves.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Head Chef

Well, George's Light Rye is out of the oven, so now we wait while it cools enough to be cut. I chose to bake them on the pizza stone instead of in bread pans, because of the amount of dough this recipe made (almost 2# each loaf). If we like the flavor, I'll adjust the weight of ingredients down to have each loaf be 1-1/2 lb per loaf so they can be made in my pans. The fragrance is quite strong from the cocoa and molasses, so it will be interesting to experience the taste of my first rye bread. I'll post a flavor report later. DW just walked in and said "It sure smells good in here."

JoeV
Old 09-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Sous Chef

George's Rye sounds GREAT! I'm going to try it and let you know how it came out. The Bernard Clayton recipe is quite heavy and an awful lot of work for the result. Re: Caraway seeds - love 'em but they give me heck with bridgework. Ordered them ground from worldspice.com in Seattle. Great service and prices. All the flavor without the ouch!

Tags
None

« Flour | I did it! »