"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 07-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Sandwich Fillings

My in-laws are moving next weekend. My contribution to the move is providing lunch for the moving crew - a bunch of members from church. I'm planning to do sandwiches on finger rolls or mini kaisers as the main part of lunch - things that can be grabbed on the way past & eaten quickly & easily! (I'll also do pasta salad, deviled eggs, chips, etc.)
What are some of your favorite fillings? I am looking for things like ham salad, chicken salad - that sort of thing but I would like to do something new & different. Do you have any recipes that will make them say "Wow!!"?
Thank you,
Corinne

Old 07-18-2005, 12:42 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Tuna salad and a varity of lunch meats.
And just in case there are any kiddos helping out a peanut butter and jelly or two.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:58 AM   #3
Master Chef

Smile

my thoughts exactly, pdswife.

Corinne, you could pre make up several cheese and coldcut sandwiches. ie salami and gouda, ham and swiss, turkey and cheddar, etc. Then at the end of the table just have some squeezable bottles of ketchup, relish, mayonnaise, and mustard. You might add a leaf of lettuce to each sandwich, but I would keep it simple. Who knows maybe even some of the adults would like a PB&J. I frequently make them for lunch. To make it even easier on yourself I would have a bowl of whole fruit with apples, oranges or tangerines, bananas, and peaches. It is amazing how many people will opt for a fruit over other food stuffs. Plus, it is easy. Fill the bowl and you are done.

SC

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:20 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm thinking something italian. either:

ham, provolone, salami, lettuce, tomato, onion, dried oregano and rosemary, evoo, and red wine vinegar (all pressed together to let the oil and vinegar soak in),

or,

prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, roasted red peppers, evoo, and fresh cracked black peper.
you could make heroes from long loaves of italian or french bread, and cut into manageable slices.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:37 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Don't know if you are providing drinks are not, but if you are I would just get a case of bottled water. Also not sure how hot it is there but whenever we have workers who are working on electricity, or something outside, I always pop bottles of water in the freezer until they get icy and then bring them out to the workers.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

A great and easy sandwich to make requires a bit of prep-work, but can very easy, depending on how authentic you watn to get, and that's pulled pork. You can either BBQ it with smoke until it's ready (about 5 hours), or through a good pork roast in the crock pot overnight, drain, shred, and add your favorite BBQ sauce until you get the consistancy and flavor you want.

If you want to impress, grill some medallions of tender beef, sprinkle with a bit of lime and hot sauce (I like Tabascoe Sauce's flavor best, but that's a personal taste), and put between the buns. grill mini-burgers, cover with thin slices of delli meat, top with sliced tomaoe, and there ya go. Ya might even put a mushroom cap on top.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
Hospitality Queen

Here's my favorite sandwich "spread" (which I make the day after I've cooked a pot roast):

Cut leftover beef roast into small chunks, and put through a food processor, along with a bit of mayo and ketchup until it's the right consistency. From here, you can either keep it as is, or add any of the following to the blend:

Mexican: chiles and tabasco (then once it's spread on the sandwich, top w/avocado slices)

Italian: minced garlic (then once it's spread on the sandwich, top w/mozzerella and fresh basil)

BBQ: add BBQ sauce instead of ketchup to the mix (then once it's spread on the sandwich, top with a slice of cheddar cheese)
Old 07-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

jkath:

I thought I was the only one who made "pot roast salad" sandwiches!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:38 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

I learned it from my mom - only when we were kids, there were no cuisinarts around, so she used her "merry grinder" and still does!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
One thing I always hated when people served sandwiches was the fact that they were pre-made. I think I'm just really picky about my sandwiches, but it bothered me that I didn't know how it was made, and also the fact that I couldn't put what I liked onto the sandwiches. Like I said though, I think that's just because I'm uber-picky about my sandwiches.

If it were me, I'd set it up like a buffet line, meats, cheeses, spreads, veggies, etc. all separate so people could put on them what they want. LEave out some paper plates and napkins and let everyone go to town.

Tags
None