Sandwich fillings, what great combinations have you discovered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
christmas dinner:turkey,stuffing,bacon,sausage,cranberry sauce on a big,soft floury bap.
ploughmans:cave aged west country vintage cheddar,wiltshire cure ham,sweet red onion on granary bread

Here's one I made up recently. We took these to the beach. Add lime juice, salt and sugar to taste to Greek yogurt or sour cream. Spread that on two tortilla wraps. In a bowl, mix cooked diced chicken, chopped tomato and salsa; spread that on the yogurt mixture. Top with shredded lettuce and cheddar cheese, roll up, tuck the ends in, cut in half and pack for a picnic.

Here are a few more which are a bit less common:

1. Gorgonzola, chestnut honey and truffle salt on an Italian Canapé

2. Croissant with Egg Salad & Ali Oli, hand made Mayo ( Evoo, garlic )

3. Beef Carpacchio with Reggiano Parmesano on Canapé

4. sautéed or roasted Tomato, sautéed or roasted zucchini or corgette with melted Bufala di Mozzarella & basil with Modena Balsamic vinegar and Evoo on Italian style baguette

5. Anchovies with Fresh Goat Cheese and Fresh snipped Provençal Herbs on Canapé

Enjoy, Margi. Ciao.

Last edited:
Here are a few more which are a bit less common:

1. Gorgonzola, chestnut honey and truffle salt on an Italian Canapé

2. Croissant with Egg Salad & Ali Oli, hand made Mayo ( Evoo, garlic )

3. Beef Carpacchio with Reggiano Parmesano on Canapé

4. sautéed or roasted Tomato, sautéed or roasted zucchini or corgette with melted Bufala di Mozzarella & basil with Modena Balsamic vinegar and Evoo on Italian style baguette

5. Anchovies with Fresh Goat Cheese and Fresh snipped Provençal Herbs on Canapé

Enjoy, Margi. Ciao.

All suggestions are wonderful, but may be a heavy load in the way of a sandwich/wrap. The best things about a proper Canape, is it's gone in a bite. Lifts the pallet, and should ideally leave you wanting one bite more.

Tatt: Canapés Come In Three Sizes

:yum: Buon Giorno Tatt,

Firstly, a canapé or a sandwich, depends on the type of bread that is used and its thickness, and of course, secondly, how much one piles on the bread ! Mediterranean Baguettes or Hogaza, huge circular rustic country breads or Italian style Chapata are pretty thick !

If someone can prepare turkey leftovers with stuffing in a baguette, I can certainly make my canapés without a problem ... and without soggy baguette !

There are montaditos, canapés and tostas and then, 1/2 barrita and baguette ... Of course, we are referring to the types in Spain;

1. montadito = small hero
2. canapé = medium size thick baguette bread slice with toppings
3. Tosta = a large canapé
4. 1/2 barrita = a large 1/2 baguette
5. baguette = what the Spanish call French style bread made in Spain

For decades, The Spanish and Italians have been filling baguettes with Calamari ...

Have a lovely
Weekend,
Ciao.
Margi.

PF; We've had a number of great sandwich threads over the years. It might be very cool to have a DC list of the sandwiches that have been previously posted.

I too have been thinking about sandwiches lately. I was going start with a sandwich question. Still think I'll do that, to go along with this thread. Don't want to take away from the op's theme.

Sandwich combination favorites - I'll list just one, because there are too many to list.:LOL: Just one of my favorite combinations: The Chief's spice Italian - Whole wheat hogie bun with coarse-grind mustard on the bottom bun, EVOO on top layer. Build from the bottom - sliced onion, sliced black olives, shredded Romaine lettuce, sliced, ripe tomato, slice green pepper, capiacola, Soprasetta, Pepperoni (must be a good, full-flavored, spicy pepperoni), aged provolone cheese.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That'll keep the vampires away, Chief/!

My all-time favorite cold sandwich: Braunschweiger on rye bread with lettuce, thinly sliced red onions, and yellow (yes, yellow) mustard. Something about that tangy yellow mustard works really well with liver sausage. :yum:

Last edited:
My all-time favorite cold sandwich: Braunschweiger on rye bread with lettuce, thinly sliced red onions, and yellow (yes, yellow) mustard. Something about that tangy yellow mustard works really well with liver sausage. :yum:

Your speaking my language, Steve. The only difference between my Braunschweiger sandwich and yours is that I slice 3 rounds of the great liver sausage so that it completely covers my bread (which is toasted whole wheat) and with Miracle Whip instead of mustard. I haven't tried it with mustard. Think I'll give it a go. It sounds like it would be a great flavor combination. I'll also try it with some spicy, coarse grind mustard. That sounds even better for my tastes. Thanks for the idea.

My sandwich of this type was in the Breathkillers sandwich thread so long ago.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

once in awhile i get hungry for a bean sandwich. white bread, mayo and mashed up white beans. onions on it are nice too.

One of mine is cold Boston Baked Beans piled on white bread. Used to take that to school every Monday along with my school mates. :yum:

Italian Cannelli White Bean Hummus

:yum: Buon Giorno,

Sometimes I prepare an Italian Cannelli White Bean Hummus, and use it as a spread on 1 slice of Italian Baguette ... It is delicious ... I like Chick Pea Hummus too ... and Babaghanuj ( eggplant with sesame Tahini paste ) ...

I also make Crostini and make a Sicilian blood orange, black pepper maramalade goat cheese spread ...

I rarely can eat a whole baguette or even a half by myself, and frequently just slice canapé size or what we call " tosta " size which is smaller than a USA bread slice sandwich slice, however, much thicker...

I do miss, Glazed Baked Virginia Ham Bone In, which I always have when we drive from Washington D.C. to Florida; with home made mustard and fresh Rasberries or Thick skinned Mediterranean Orange Slices ...

Have nice Wednesday ... Good Post Mel.

Kind regards. Ciao.
Margi. :yum:

once in awhile i get hungry for a bean sandwich. white bread, mayo and mashed up white beans. onions on it are nice too.
That sounds like a unique sandwich. Sounds like one I would like to try. I love beans of any kind. Thanks for the tip:yum:

Fav Sammies

When I eat baked bean sandwiches I add mayo, mustard, horseradish, chopped dill pickles and onions!

One of favorites is swiss cheese, sauerkraut, mustard, onion, horseradish grilled on pumpernickel bread. With a big half sour pickle on the side. Kinda like a Reuben but not!

OR fried onion, egg, extra sharp cheddar, mayo and lettuce on homemade bread!

I love cheese and Vegemite sandwiches :)

Nice!

Vegemite certainly seems to be one of those "love it or hat it" type of food items, but it was a big part of my childhood diet. Great with a sharp cheese, or, as I use to like it as a kid, on plain ole white bread, with thick sliced tomato from the garden, and some black pepper. That's it. No frill. Salty, tomato-y goodness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom