"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 06-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #41
Executive Chef

christmas dinner:turkey,stuffing,bacon,sausage,cranberry sauce on a big,soft floury bap.
ploughmans:cave aged west country vintage cheddar,wiltshire cure ham,sweet red onion on granary bread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I more or less make cranberry salsa this way:

Cranberry Salsa Recipe - Allrecipes.com

But, I cook it for about 10 minutes and adjust the "heat" to my liking. Always use lime and cilantro.
Thank you! I will definitely be making this for a special in our cafe.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's one I made up recently. We took these to the beach. Add lime juice, salt and sugar to taste to Greek yogurt or sour cream. Spread that on two tortilla wraps. In a bowl, mix cooked diced chicken, chopped tomato and salsa; spread that on the yogurt mixture. Top with shredded lettuce and cheddar cheese, roll up, tuck the ends in, cut in half and pack for a picnic.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Here are a few more which are a bit less common:

1. Gorgonzola, chestnut honey and truffle salt on an Italian Canapé

2. Croissant with Egg Salad & Ali Oli, hand made Mayo ( Evoo, garlic )

3. Beef Carpacchio with Reggiano Parmesano on Canapé

4. sautéed or roasted Tomato, sautéed or roasted zucchini or corgette with melted Bufala di Mozzarella & basil with Modena Balsamic vinegar and Evoo on Italian style baguette

5. Anchovies with Fresh Goat Cheese and Fresh snipped Provençal Herbs on Canapé

Enjoy, Margi. Ciao.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #45
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Here are a few more which are a bit less common:

1. Gorgonzola, chestnut honey and truffle salt on an Italian Canapé

2. Croissant with Egg Salad & Ali Oli, hand made Mayo ( Evoo, garlic )

3. Beef Carpacchio with Reggiano Parmesano on Canapé

4. sautéed or roasted Tomato, sautéed or roasted zucchini or corgette with melted Bufala di Mozzarella & basil with Modena Balsamic vinegar and Evoo on Italian style baguette

5. Anchovies with Fresh Goat Cheese and Fresh snipped Provençal Herbs on Canapé

Enjoy, Margi. Ciao.
All suggestions are wonderful, but may be a heavy load in the way of a sandwich/wrap. The best things about a proper Canape, is it's gone in a bite. Lifts the pallet, and should ideally leave you wanting one bite more.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #46
Executive Chef

Tatt: Canapés Come In Three Sizes

Buon Giorno Tatt,

Firstly, a canapé or a sandwich, depends on the type of bread that is used and its thickness, and of course, secondly, how much one piles on the bread ! Mediterranean Baguettes or Hogaza, huge circular rustic country breads or Italian style Chapata are pretty thick !

If someone can prepare turkey leftovers with stuffing in a baguette, I can certainly make my canapés without a problem ... and without soggy baguette !

There are montaditos, canapés and tostas and then, 1/2 barrita and baguette ... Of course, we are referring to the types in Spain;

1. montadito = small hero
2. canapé = medium size thick baguette bread slice with toppings
3. Tosta = a large canapé
4. 1/2 barrita = a large 1/2 baguette
5. baguette = what the Spanish call French style bread made in Spain

For decades, The Spanish and Italians have been filling baguettes with Calamari ...

Have a lovely
Weekend,
Ciao.
Margi.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
PF; We've had a number of great sandwich threads over the years. It might be very cool to have a DC list of the sandwiches that have been previously posted.

I too have been thinking about sandwiches lately. I was going start with a sandwich question. Still think I'll do that, to go along with this thread. Don't want to take away from the op's theme.

Sandwich combination favorites - I'll list just one, because there are too many to list. Just one of my favorite combinations: The Chief's spice Italian - Whole wheat hogie bun with coarse-grind mustard on the bottom bun, EVOO on top layer. Build from the bottom - sliced onion, sliced black olives, shredded Romaine lettuce, sliced, ripe tomato, slice green pepper, capiacola, Soprasetta, Pepperoni (must be a good, full-flavored, spicy pepperoni), aged provolone cheese.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That'll keep the vampires away, Chief/!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #48
Wine Guy

My all-time favorite cold sandwich: Braunschweiger on rye bread with lettuce, thinly sliced red onions, and yellow (yes, yellow) mustard. Something about that tangy yellow mustard works really well with liver sausage.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #49
Senior Cook

One of the best sandwiches I've had in a looooooooooong time

Squash, Manchego and Balsamic-Onion Grilled Cheese Recipe : Jeff Mauro : Recipes : Food Network
Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
My all-time favorite cold sandwich: Braunschweiger on rye bread with lettuce, thinly sliced red onions, and yellow (yes, yellow) mustard. Something about that tangy yellow mustard works really well with liver sausage.
Your speaking my language, Steve. The only difference between my Braunschweiger sandwich and yours is that I slice 3 rounds of the great liver sausage so that it completely covers my bread (which is toasted whole wheat) and with Miracle Whip instead of mustard. I haven't tried it with mustard. Think I'll give it a go. It sounds like it would be a great flavor combination. I'll also try it with some spicy, coarse grind mustard. That sounds even better for my tastes. Thanks for the idea.

My sandwich of this type was in the Breathkillers sandwich thread so long ago.

Seeeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sandwich