Sandwich fillings, what great combinations have you discovered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
I discovered that I love toasted Brie and sun dried tomato sandwiches. :yum:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, I had published a lovely one with eggplant, tomato and French goat cheese, Montrachet ... I roast the aubergine and then, toast the baguette under the broiler and the cheese of course ... Can be done with feta too ...
Margi. ( it is on a thread on D.C. )

Last edited:
I discovered that I love toasted Brie and sun dried tomato sandwiches. :yum:

Sounds like a tasty twist on a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. Another way to go - press toasted pine nuts into mozzarella cheese, add some fresh basil and fresh tomatoes.

Another great combo is tuna, chopped artichokes, and provolone melts.

Instead of salad with bread on the side, for picnics or during the Summer, I make a salad sandwich, i.e. Salad Nicoise with tuna or salmon, caprese sandwich, Caesar salad on French/Italian baguettes - or on (flatbread or pita) pizzas.

On a FRESH! Onion Bagel, stone ground mustard, ham, swiss and a slice of tomato. Panini press or zap in microwave to heat. I like this for breakfast!

English Muffin, marinara, slice of sandwich sliced pepperoni, green pepper, onion, black olives, slice of mozzerella, broiled. Add top with marinara and eat like a sandwich.

Dinner rolls. Thin sliced boneless pork trimmed to roll size, panfried with spices of choice. Mayo on sliced rolls, cooked pork, tomato, onion and lettuce. Pork Chop Sliders!!!

I recently tried (Everything) Bagel Thins. They are great for piling on toppings for an open-faced "sandwich."

Usually I have the big fat bagels on hand - either Cheddar or Onion. Slice them in half and pull out most of the bread. Fill with spinach, chopped cooked bacon and provolone (or whatever you like), & place under the broiler until the cheese melts.

Cerise, I forgot about the bagel thins. I was reading all of these wonderful suggestions and thought maybe too much bread? Now I can indulge occasionally without guilt.

PF; We've had a number of great sandwich threads over the years. It might be very cool to have a DC list of the sandwiches that have been previously posted.

I too have been thinking about sandwiches lately. I was going start with a sandwich question. Still think I'll do that, to go along with this thread. Don't want to take away from the op's theme.

Sandwich combination favorites - I'll list just one, because there are too many to list.:LOL: Just one of my favorite combinations: The Chief's spice Italian - Whole wheat hogie bun with coarse-grind mustard on the bottom bun, EVOO on top layer. Build from the bottom - sliced onion, sliced black olives, shredded Romaine lettuce, sliced, ripe tomato, slice green pepper, capiacola, Soprasetta, Pepperoni (must be a good, full-flavored, spicy pepperoni), aged provolone cheese.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

PF; We've had a number of great sandwich threads over the years. It might be very cool to have a DC list of the sandwiches that have been previously posted.

I too have been thinking about sandwiches lately. I was going start with a sandwich question. Still think I'll do that, to go along with this thread. Don't want to take away from the op's theme.

Sandwich combination favorites - I'll list just one, because there are too many to list.:LOL: Just one of my favorite combinations: The Chief's spice Italian - Whole wheat hogie bun with coarse-grind mustard on the bottom bun, EVOO on top layer. Build from the bottom - sliced onion, sliced black olives, shredded Romaine lettuce, sliced, ripe tomato, slice green pepper, capiacola, Soprasetta, Pepperoni (must be a good, full-flavored, spicy pepperoni), aged provolone cheese.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Good Idea Chief. I'll cruise through in my free time and note the sandwich threads and post them.

I love a good BAT sandwich...

Toast, Bacon, Avocado and Tomato. I like to add radish sprouts to that!

Grilled chicken with pesto (homemade) stuffed in a homemade whole wheat pita or rolled in a whole wheat wrap with some chopped fresh heirloom tomato fresh from the garden...

I just heard about this sandwiche, but haven't tried it yet--

Grilled cheese with chutney. Need to find a decent chutney.

Also, I've never had a Kentucky Hot Brown. Derby time is coming up Fast

Otherwise, I think my faves are real turkey and as much T's giving leftovers you can pile on AND add bacon and avocado or a grilled ham and then put it inside and make grilled ham and cheese.

Last edited:
Non-Smoked Turkey breast, thin sliced green apple, brie, pesto mayo. I prefer it on thick cut wheat berry bread, but it's still pretty great on any bread.

Smoked turkey, smoked gouda, apple wood smoked bacon, chipotle mayo, sliced tomato all on a baguette.

I LOVE a good BLT, and like PrincessFiona60, some avocado really makes it nice. Also, sometimes, I do a BLT with a poached egg on there too.

Black-forest ham, Alpine Swiss, thin sliced Bermuda Onion, champagne mustard on toasted wheat.

This is a great site for sandwich ideas:

Scanwiches

There are some pretty nice gems in there, along with some just run of the mill stuff too.

A friend of mine came up with this for poker nite recently. He hasnt named it yet but its basically food that starts with the letter P. We did pepperoni,pepperjack,proscuitto(sp?),pastrami,pepperocinis,provolone and pesto. grilled or foremaned.(cooked on the george foreman. only good use for it)

A friend of mine came up with this for poker nite recently. He hasnt named it yet but its basically food that starts with the letter P. We did pepperoni,pepperjack,proscuitto(sp?),pastrami,pepperocinis,provolone and pesto. grilled or foremaned.(cooked on the george foreman. only good use for it)

shouldn't that be "paninied" to keep with the "p's"?

I make this one often with a lot of tweaks:
GRILLED SWISS CHEESE, TUNA AND RED PEPPER SANDWICHES
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/10356

Some other favorites are:

Grilled Cheese with Gruyere, Extra Sharp Cheddar, and sliced tomatoes on Pumpernickel.

Whole Wheat Pita Sandwiches with chickpeas, red bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, black olives, feta or extra sharp cheddar with a yogurt/hot sauce/cumin sauce.

Leftover chicken, tossed in barbeque sauce on a crusty baguette with melted extra sharp cheddar, served open-faced.

Mediterranean Sandwiches & Heroes

:chef: Great post and thanks for all the interesting combinations ...

Here are some additional heroes ( Baguette style ) and Sandwiches from my part of the globe:

1. Fried Calamari on an Italian style Baguette, a drizzle of lemon, ali oli or a piquant tomato salsa ...

2. Meatballs with tomato sauce on an Italian Baguette ... Always a fave with freshly grated Parmesano sprinkled or baked Parmigiano style ...

3. Eggplant Parmigiana ...

4. Fresh Shrimp Salad on German Black Bread ... or Whole Wheat Brown ...
Made with home made Ali Oli ...

5. Ventresca Tuna in Evoo ( only sold in Jars here ), prepared with roasted red peppers on top ... ( ventresca = is tuna belly )

6. Roast beef with Dijon ...

7. Roast Turkey with Dijon ...

8. Meatloaf with a drizzle of Home made Bolognese ... on a Hero ... Baguette Italian Style ... a sprinkle of Pecorino !!! Heaven ...

9. Home made egg salad ...

10. chicken breast, skinless & boneless with Basil Pesto: pinenuts, basil, garlic and evoo dressing.

11. fresh figs with goat cheese on German or Swiss Black bread ... Lovely.
( broil toast for a few seconds ... )

12. Elvis Sandwich ! ( this hails from a Caterer & Personal Chef )

13. Grilled Cheese of course ... However, my take on this is Italian; Caprese style: buffala di mozzarella, fresh basil and tomato or Herbed Provolone with red bell pepper, like a Provoletta, however in a sandwich.

14. Falafal in a Pita

Have a lovely day.
Margi Cintrano.

Last edited:
A hero with sopressata or Genoa salami, a mix of roast sweet and hot peppers, shredded onions, provolone dolce, a drizzle of olive oil, and some freshly ground pepe nero or light sprinkling of oregano on a crusty Italian bread.

Attachments

• hero1.jpeg
    hero1.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 124
Cuban made with leftover roast pork. That wonderful creation from the Italian immigrants to New Orleans, the muffaletta. Nor the other great sandwich from NO, the Po' Boy. I'll take an oyster or soft-shell crab, thankyou!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom