"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 04-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #11
Master Chef

There were two different sandwich threads from a few months back that featured favorite sandwich recipes by a boatload of DC members. Do a search for sandwiches and you may find what you're looking for.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:13 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Here's a simple One:

Healthy Grilled Cheese:

1 t melted butter
2 slices wheat bread
3 slices Muenster Cheese
1 thin apple slice
1 t Whole Grain Mustard

Butter 2 slices of bread, like you would as Grilled Cheese. Lay in heated pan. Evenly spread mustard on bread, lay 1 1/2 slices of cheese on piece of toast, and top with apple slice on one side. Heat till done!!!

Old 04-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I've never tought of putting an apple on griilled cheese.
I bet it's good! Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:49 PM   #14
Master Chef

I just made this one and really like it. Its a twist on grilled cheese.

Heat up EVOO in a non stick skillet and assemble. I took 2 thick slices of Italian Bread.....toasted one side and then took a piece of garlic and rubbed that side........that would be the inner side of the sandwich. Oh and I made sure that I smeared each piece of bread around in the EVOO to coat lightly. I then assembled the sandwich:

**Note Made sure there was cheese on each side of the bread to hold all the inner stuff together.

Vine Ripe Tomato Slices......the kind at the store thats still on the vine.....I took out the seeds

Slices of moz. cheese .... I just used the prepackaged block of cheese

Fresh Basil.......chiffinode.....I think thats spelt right......cut into thin shreds

chopped greens of a scallion

fresh deli brown sugar ham.....slicked really thin

***you can use other meats or cheeses.......but i wanted an italian style
Old 04-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Wow you really are ambitious!

WAY TO GO! If you can do this when you are sick, I wonder what you can do when you are feeling good! Get better fast!

Jocelyne
Old 04-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russell
Ok...added your recipes, and I feel like poking my eyes out with forks...gotta eat dinner now.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #17
Certified Executive Chef

Miguz, one of my favorites (ala Norway always openfaced) is your favorite bread (this is usually on rye, but I use WWfrench) with butter, sliced hardboiled egg, a tsp of caviar in center of sandwich and a sprig of fresh dill, somtimes adding a tiny amount of creme fresche or sourcream on top of the caviar and then insert the sprig of dill into the cream.

Another is anchovy paste on the bread, slided hardboiled egg (longways) on top and garnish with lemon zest and dill. Or scrambled egg on bread with butter and a squiggle of anchovy paste on top with the dill.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Here's one that caught my eye for picnic-fare. Think this would be equally as yummy with salmon.

Tuna Pan Bagnat
Rachael Ray Easy Prep Time: 10 minutes Yield: 4 servings
1 French baguette
1 six to eight-ounce tuna steak
1 bay leaf
5 whole peppercorns
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1/4 red onion, chopped
1 can artichoke hearts in water, 15 ounces, drained, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup good quality black olives, from bulk bins in deli area of market
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, a couple of handfuls
Coarse black pepper, to your taste
2 to3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, to your taste

*To get the juices flowing, place whole lemon in microwave on high for 10 seconds.

Crisp baguette in hot oven, then cool to handle. Cut baguette in half lengthwise, on an angle, then split each half lengthwise.
Put about 1 inch of water, the bay leaf, peppercorns, and juice of 1/2 the lemon into a small skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the tuna steak, cover, and simmer until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove tuna from the water and allow to cool. Place tuna in a bowl and separate with a fork. Add capers, red onion, artichokes.

For olives, if they're pitted, coarsely chop them. If the olives have pits, place an olive or 2 on your cutting board. Turn your knife sideways and place the flat of the blade on top of the olives -- just like peeling garlic -- whack the heal of your hand on knife and the pits of the olives will be exposed. Remove pits and chop.

Add olives and parsley to tuna mixture. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the bowl. Squeeze lemon halves holding cut side upright, allowing juice to spill over sides. The seeds will stay with the lemon half, rather than falling into your salad. Add black pepper to the bowl and drizzle salad liberally with evoo, extra virgin olive oil. Toss tuna salad and adjust pepper and evoo to your taste. Pack the tuna salad on to baguette halves and set tops in place. Press down to set the bread and salad together. The bread will absorb the evoo and salad juices. Cut each half baguette in half again, making 4 sandwiches, total.

Notes: The longer pan bagnat sits, the tastier it gets. I make a whole baguette, even for just myself. In less than 24 hours, after a late night trip or two to the fridge, I can finish the whole loaf off! Also, This recipe is picnic-perfect! One last tip: wrap the sandwich in wax paper, peeling it back as you eat the bagnat. The wrapping over the end of each sandwich will catch the juices as you eat it.

Other Recipes from this Episode: Oven Fries with Herbes de Provence, Tomato and Spinach Soup
Old 04-30-2005, 01:29 AM   #19
Master Chef

-hearty multi-grain bread or rolls
-sharp deli provolone, thinly sliced
-deli roast beef, thinly sliced, optional
-avacado, ripe
-lettuce
-tomato
-alfalfa sprouts
-mayonnaise
-black pepper
-mustard
*butter
--------------------------------------
assemble sandwich. if serving hot, assemble in this order, for a doule-filled sammich: mayo, black pepper, avacado slivers, roast beef and mustard (omit both if desired), alfalfa sprouts, tomato, and cheese. broil till hot, toasty, and melty and put halves together. or grill in butter like a grilled cheese, making only 1 layer thick, and pressing down with spatula after flipping.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:20 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
One of my own favorites is as follows:

Slices of cucomber
Strips of "artificial crab meat"
wasabi mayo
toasted strips of nori

This on white or whole wheat bread... soo goood...

Tags
None