"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 07-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Executive Chef

We love this recipe and have it as one of the sides for prime rib.

Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Recipes : Food Network

Old 07-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Sounds good Craig. In many respects it resembles PW's recipe in the OP. Certainly a similar idea.

Emerill's recipe calls for 1/2 # (3 C) of wild and exotic mushrooms. Which varieties do you use or have you used?

Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yup, I do that all the time. I have recipes that now say yogourt or sour cream.
I use Fat Free Greek yogurt. It ads a good bit of protein also.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Sounds good Craig. In many respects it resembles PW's recipe in the OP. Certainly a similar idea.

Emerill's recipe calls for 1/2 # (3 C) of wild and exotic mushrooms. Which varieties do you use or have you used?
He he, we are not often able to get wild shrooms, so criminis! The only mushrooms that really grow down here aren't edible. They will take you on a "trip", I've heard.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I think I'll pass on any mushrooms that don't come from a grocery store.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I think I'll pass on any mushrooms that don't come from a grocery store.
Ditto. I worked in an ER about 50 years ago. We had a patient that came in with mushroom poisoning. Not a pretty sight. His kidneys were severely damaged and he almost lost his life. All from a day with the family picking mushrooms and then going home and cooking them. The family never got to taste them He was the cook and got sick just from tasting his concoction. They acted that fast. No thanks. I wil stick with what I know. And if necessary will even go to canned ones. "Gee we, had a book with pictures. I don't know what wrong ones we picked."
Old 07-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #17
Head Chef

With savory ingredients, I prefer Strata - just eggs & milk.

One example is a Caprese Strata (tomatoes, mozzarella & Basil), using croissants.

Caprese Stratas w/Basil, Tomato & Mozzarella | Spilt Wine & Sticky Rice

You can change it out & use tomatoes, spinach & feta. Lots of possibilities. Wanted to post the link, but the site is down. Will try tomorrow.

Tags
bread, butter, pudding, recipe

Savory Bread & Butter Pudding (Pioneer Woman) I was Googling savory bread recipes and came across this interesting one. It's not PW's recipe but rather was a contender for a contest PW ran in 2008. What I really like about this recipe, you could add almost anything and you could substitute ingredients too. Savory Bread & Butter Pudding [IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/2809412621_0b833cdf32_o.jpg[/IMG] Ingredients 6 slices stale bread, quartered 4 pieces bacon, roughly chopped (or ham or other meat, or no meat if you’re a vegetarian) 2 tomatoes, halved and thickly sliced Small bunch of silver beet/chard/spinach, roughly chopped 1 cup grated or crumbled cheese — cheddar, feta, blue, whatever floats your boat 8 eggs 1 cup milk 1 cup yogurt, plain Salt & Pepper 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard Method It's a casserole. You bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Details here: [URL="http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/08/dairy-contest-finalist-recipe-savory-bread-butter-pudding/"]Savory Bread & Butter Pudding | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond[/URL] ---- What I really like is that you could change the ingredients a bit and use this basis for almost any kind of savory bread and meat pudding: 1.) Mexican: -bacon +sauteed ground beef, -spinach +cilantro, -mustard +taco seasoning. Use cheddar or use Mexican fresh cheese. Important: add a can of diced green (Hatch) chili peppers! 2.) Thai: -bacon +shrimp, -spinach + gailan +cilantro, -mustard +thai peppers +curry paste. Consider adding some of the Thai mini-eggplants, sliced (a type of aubergine). (Maybe add a bit of fish sauce?) 3.) French: -bacon +roasted chicken, use Gruyere cheese, substitute some cream for some of the milk, +fresh tarragon +fresh parsley +sauteed mushrooms +sauteed garlic. 4.) English: -bacon +browned beef cubes (reserve the grease, mix it with a bit of beef stock to deglaze, and add in at final assembly), probably Cheddar cheese, maybe add some blanched or par-boiled potatoes. 5.) Italian: -bacon +pepperoni, use Mozarella cheese, add the traditional Italian spice mixture (basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, marjoram) and nix the mustard, add a prepared pizza/pasta sauce such as Prego or your favorite bottled brand. 6.) Hawaiian: -bacon or maybe leave it but add ham, add pineapple pieces and bell peppers and red onions (sliced or diced). 7.) Barbecue: -bacon +barbecued chicken, -mustard +barbecue sauce, +sauteed onions and sauteed zucchini slices, maybe add some canned smoked beans. Well I'm just coming up with ideas. I haven't cooked the recipe but I'll be interested in variations slanted towards various nationalities and cuisines. I'll call this a "thought" or "idea" topic. What would the Indian version be? Would you use tandoori bread? How about a Chinese version? (I would use Hosing sauce or maybe Oyster sauce.) Mediterranean version? (Feta cheese, maybe fish.) Russian version? (Caviar, vodka, cabbage?) I'm trying to start a both serious but humorous topic here. I hope we can have both amusing but also cooking insightful replies to this topic. I think PW's recipe is a branching out spot where we could take it almost anywhere. I don't know if PW's finalist made the winning post. 3 stars 1 reviews