"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-28-2006, 09:36 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
My mother used to make miniature cinnamon rolls with leftover bread dough. but I especially liked when she had leftover pie crust. She would roll it out and put butter, cinnamon and sugar on it and bake. It was like a grand tea party.
My grandmother did the same thing.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
Master Chef

Isn't that cool...3 of us have the same memory.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to cristal
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
This isn't something you'd want to do everyday because it's really high in fat, but deep frying little pieces of scrap dough is really tasty. Right when you take them out of the oil you can season them either with sugar/cinnamon or can make them savoury by sprinkling on some pretzel salt and some kind of herb. (oregano is good)

It's a nice little treat...
Yeah that's good too! Almost like a homemade churro!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
Contest Winner

Okay, here is another idea to try. I made it this afternoon with some leftover dough after making bread and it was so delicious!

Cheese and Onion Bread Bites:
I took the scrap dough and rolled it out into a long, skinny rectangle. (about 30cm long and 15cm wide) I then sprinkled on some finely minced onion bits and grated cheddar and romano cheese. I then rolled it lengthwise and then used kitchen sheers to cut little 1inch bite sized pieces. (the snipping pinched the edges of dough together so that the cheese/onion would stay inside) I then pressed each little piece into a few granules of pretzel salt and baked them in the oven until golden.

They turned out so well! Anyone who likes cheese and/or onion bread should give these a try!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #15
Master Chef

my Mom started giving me pie dough when i was quite small, i'd say like 5? cinnamon-sugar on that dough.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
You all have great ideas for dough scraps. I'm going to try the chocolate calzone for sure! I usually make pigs-in-a-blanket and cheese and pepperoni calzones with scraps.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristal
Yeah that's good too! Almost like a homemade churro!
Churro! Churro! Churro! That's amazing! My wife always likes to tell the story of when she used to live in Spain, in her twenties. She lived just outside of Barcelona, by the sea. She used to go to university in Barcelona. It was a habit of hers to go to this little café and order a churro, and the waiter would always yell from her table, too the kitchen, "Un a churro e una café poura la guapa." (please forgive my spelling as I don't write in Spainish - sorry). Which means a churro and a coffee for the beautiful one.

So when you used that word it brings back her telling of this beautiful little tail, that she still tells from time to time, after all these years.

Thanks for the great memories.

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Bri that makes me think of when I was learning Spanish in school. Our textbook was titled Churros Y Cholcolate.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Bri that makes me think of when I was learning Spanish in school. Our textbook was titled Churros Y Cholcolate.
Attachment 1345

That is exactly what my wife was studying in spain. She was finishing her Bachelor in languages.

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None