Sesame Seed Bagel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
When making a sesame seed bagel, should you use toasted sesame seeds or untested ( which will get toasted during the baking process) ??

I just dont want already toasted sesame seeds to get too toasted and have that burnt flavor, yet, I also dont want the untoased ones not to get toasted enough as not to have a toasted sesame seed flavor.

A friend has relatives in South Korea who own a sesame seed farm. I was lucky enough to score the mother load of toasted sesame seeds from her, and now im just exploring ways to use them up ( other than taking a pinch every time I pass the jar of them).

Since toasted sesame seeds are what you have, try a small batch with toasted seeds. Worst that could happen you scrape off burnt seeds.

When I see them making bagels a Saint Viateur Bagel, they use untoasted sesame seeds. They get plenty toasted while the bagels are baking. I don't know if the fact that they use a wood fired bagel oven makes a difference with the seeds.

But, I do like Andy's suggestion. My experience with home toasted sesame seeds is that they don't stay fresh as long as raw ones. The oil seems to develop an off flavour.

When I see them making bagels a Saint Viateur Bagel, they use untoasted sesame seeds. They get plenty toasted while the bagels are baking. I don't know if the fact that they use a wood fired bagel oven makes a difference with the seeds.

But, I do like Andy's suggestion. My experience with home toasted sesame seeds is that they don't stay fresh as long as raw ones. The oil seems to develop an off flavour.
I keep sesame seeds in the freezer so they don't go rancid.

Larry, how long do you bake the bagels? I got a big bag of toasted sesame seeds in a Middle Eastern grocery store and I put them on burger buns before baking them for about 10 minutes. They don't burn.

Bagels take longer than ten minutes. I cook mine for 34-35 minutes and I make mine smaller that bagel shop size.

I haven't made bagels in awhile, but now the sesame seeds are giving me the itch to make them. I dont have a go to recipe. At the rate im picking at them though, I my not have any left by the time I get to it.

I haven't made bagels in awhile, but now the sesame seeds are giving me the itch to make them. I dont have a go to recipe. At the rate im picking at them though, I my not have any left by the time I get to it.

You could mix the seeds into the dough instead of sprinkling them on top. That's what I do with toasted onion flakes when I make onion bagels.

Traditional tahini is made with raw sesame seeds, though you could make a toasted version - I always add a little dark sesame oil to give the regular hummus some flavor, and that would probably do the same thing.

When I toast sesame it only takes about 15 min. at 350º, so topping bagels, buns, or anything that will bake a lot longer, with toasted seeds will probably darken them too much.

I remember a version of satay sauce I had one time that had ground up sesame, instead of peanuts it it. I've also made many recipes just calling for a Tb of toasted sesame seeds. I keep a jar in the refrigerator freezer, just for these things.

I keep sesame seeds in the freezer so they don't go rancid.

Larry, how long do you bake the bagels? I got a big bag of toasted sesame seeds in a Middle Eastern grocery store and I put them on burger buns before baking them for about 10 minutes. They don't burn.

Care to share your burger buns recipe please?

That looks like a nice easy recipe. Thanks for sharing it. Do you have any "tweaks" or tips for that recipe? I want to try it if my yeast still works.
The only thing I do differently is to press down on the buns a little right before putting them into the oven. The recipe says to roll them into balls; I found that resulted in buns that were too tall and a tad too small across.

The only thing I do differently is to press down on the buns a little right before putting them into the oven. The recipe says to roll them into balls; I found that resulted in buns that were too tall and a tad too small across.

Thanks, GG. I copied this recipe too. Also thanks for the tip.

Thanks GG. I'll be checking on that yeast soon. If it still works, I will making these as soon as it isn't quite so hot here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom