"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-14-2005, 06:34 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thank you mish for your kind welcome in the poll thread. I don't have internet at home so I only get on every now and then.

I don't really have a set recipe. I'll try to explain the best I can.

First soak (unless you use fresh) your shitake mushrooms and black fungus in water until hydrated. You can reserve some of the soaking liquid to cook the rice, but be careful as the liquid is quite strong.

You can cook the sweet brown (or white if you prefer) rice in plain water, or a mixture of water, chicken or turkey broth and mushroom stock (my preferred method). If you use plain water you will want to add a little salt. I boil like cooking regular rice in a covered pot, but my dad prefers putting the rice and liquid in a glass bowl and steaming it in a steamer. One of the keys is cooking the rice properly. I never measure, but I think the ratio is about 1.54379/1.00629 rice to liquid.

Dice up an appropriate amount of onions, celery, chinese sausage (lop cheung sp?), shitakes, black fungus and giblets. Additional ingredients could include water chestnut, bamboo shoots, and chestnuts or whatever you think would work. I make it different every time. Saute LIGHTLY in a little vegetable oil and season with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Over sauteeing will cause the texture of the final product to suffer. You want just a little crunch.

Mix the sauteed ingredients in with the cooked rice adjust seasoning to taste and stuff in the turkey. Since the turkey never holds enough I will put additional stuffing in a bowl and heat up in the oven.

This stuffing gets rave reviews. Most people who haven't tried it before are verry impressed.

If anybody tries it let me know what you think.

Peace all

Old 10-14-2005, 07:01 PM   #12
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
Here is my grandmothers stuffing. We always make it for Thanksgiving. I don't stuff it in the turky but bake it in a covered casserole.
Grandma's Stuffing
3 lbs bulk pork Italian sausage
3 lbs ground chuck
4 cups celery chopped
3 cups onions chopped
2 cups soft bread crumbled
3 tea poultry seasoning
1 tea ground sage
2 tea Italian herbs seasoning with garlic
4-5 tea salt, don't add all at once
1 c water
1 tea white pepper
oil

Cook pork and beef. Stir to break up large pieces. Drain off grease from meat. Cook onions and celery in a small amount of oil. Add water to bread Taste and adjust seasoning,. Be careful not to add too much salt because the pork may be salty. Add about 1 cup more of water so stuffing is moist. Bake covered 1 hr.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Here's a versatile Turkey Spice Recipe:

1/4 C parsley
1 T sage
2 T rosemary
1 T thyme
1 t savory
2 T marjoram
1/2 t anise
1/4 t black pepper
1/8 C season salt(Suggest Lowrys)
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t granulated garlic

The first use is as a rub for the turkey-don't be shy-pour it on!
The second use is stuffing spice-just sprinkle however much you think will be needed.
The third is to combine the above ingredients(about 1/4 cup or to taste) with the following:

1 1/2 cups peanut oil
1/4 C sherry cooking wine
1/8 C red wine vinegar
2 T sugar

Now you have a "Turkey Vinaigrette" that can be used to baste the turkey,used as a salad dressing or pour it on your stuffing!Or whatever your imagination can come up with!

Multiply the recipe for the spice to make sure all your bases are covered.

__________________________________________________ __________

"Ketchup isn't against the law"

Tags
None