"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
Everymom

Hmmm. OK, I have it in a glass jar with the lid just sitting on top. I'll wipe out all the mold and put the lid on a bit tighter. Thanks Selkie.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #22
Senior Cook

I have started sourdough from flour and water with a little whey added. You can also buzz some grape skins in processor and mix with flour and water. These directions seem good and good luck to you and your starter. I keep mine in the refrigerator between uses, it separates, and never had any problem with refreshing it even after a few weeks. Just add two cup flour and two cups water mix and wait until it bubbles.

enjoy your bread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #23
Senior Cook

mold on the side doesn't sound too good. in case it doesn't come out well, try again with the natural yeasts from whole grains, etc. here are some good videos. watch all these and you'll be an expert from day 1.

a couple of missing posts, but a very good set from starter to loaf:

PBS: Julia Child: Video Player

How to make wild sourdough starter | Wonder How To

good luck
Old 12-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #24
Everymom

Wow. Thank you so much. I ended up tossing it and will try again. I just couldn't get around the mold thing. So...I'll try again and hope for the best. I will post what I did and how. I think I know some of the booboos I made this time.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Wow. Thank you so much. I ended up tossing it and will try again. I just couldn't get around the mold thing. So...I'll try again and hope for the best. I will post what I did and how. I think I know some of the booboos I made this time.

actually mold can sometimes form in sourdough, and you dont need to start entirely over again, but just dump most of the pot along with the mold leaving a tablespoon or two. Feed with a cup of water and cup of flour and you should be back in business very soon.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #26
Everymom

My choice of container was poor. It had a narrow mouth so you couldn't get at the good stuff without contaminating it with mold. I've learned from that mistake and will try with a wider mouthed jar. Think I'll do that tomorrow. I'd intended to do it today but got sidetracked.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #27
Senior Cook

the only times i`ve had miserable failures starting a sourdough, were when ijust used white flour and let whatever was floating around in the air in my kitchen take hold. a few times, many years ago. definitely dangerous-to-eat looking and smelling.
since then, i`ve always used whole grain, either wheat or rye, or introduced fruit peels, etc. and not had any problems.
i`ve never seen mold on a regularly used starter. i imagine it could happen if the starter weren`t fed in months, died, and then were left out to "revive".
only 1 person`s experience, though.

but as they say, when in doubt, throw it out.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I started sourdough with white flour and some whey or crushed grapes in the mix. This ferments quickly. About a week for whey, and 3 4 days for grapes. Your have to feed with additional flour and water frequently, probably every day or every other day, I dont remember exactly, but recipes are easy to find. I never had mold form. I have kept two starters in the refigerator for years taking them out and refreshing them with 2 cups flour and 2 cups water and fermenting overnight, I then put a cup back into the fridge and use the rest for bread. Maybe you are letting the starter sit out in the warm for too long without feeding. that is the only way that I can think of that it will mold.

If you a starting a starter, let the mixture of flour water and whey sit for a few days until bubbles form, that means fermentation has started, after that, it needs attention every day, stirring and feeding with more flour and water.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #29
Master Chef

Site Administrator

This thread made me do it. I have started another starter like the last one I had. The recipe says 5 days, so patience... patience...
Old 01-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #30
Everymom

FrankZ, how is your starter? Mine will be ready to use tomorrow or the next day I believe. I'll try to remember to post pix!

Tags
None