"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #41
Everymom

Hey philso, my kitchen can be pretty toasty during the day, but sometimes in the evening and at night it can get pretty chilly. I suspect that was the issue as we had quite a cold snap that week and I didn't do anything to insulate the container. I do suspect the tap water was a factor as well. I'd been using distilled (I have a distiller) and it was working fine. I forgot on the last feeding and used tap and kaput. Oh well, next round will be the one that works. I'm not going to start it til the weather warms up and all is calm in my brain. LOL.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #42
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have been using tap water for mine. Seems to be moving along happily. I suppose I need to feed or make a loaf today though. Hmmm... fresh baked bread with almost 50 inches of snow on the ground.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #43
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have a concern about my starter.

Last week I made two loaves in a row (something I had not done before) but I also only replenished it as if i had done one loaf.

Tonight I made a loaf and after replenishing it like normal it hasn't puffed back up. Does this mean I am going to loose this one? Can I feed it another teaspoon of sugar and save it?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 AM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
i've read of tap water being harmful to sourdoughs, but i've pretty much always used it myself without the starter dying.

i'm wondering how warm or cold your kitchen is at this time of year. if you're sure the starter was active before, it could be that your cool kitchen was just making it take longer to work.

if worse comes to worst:

Classic Fresh Sourdough Starter - 1 oz.
French Sourdough Starter - 5g
or
Sourdough Cultures

I just now pleaded with DH to get me the King Arthur sourdough crock...It should happen, after all I got him a Harley!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #45
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

Last week I made two loaves in a row (something I had not done before) but I also only replenished it as if i had done one loaf.

Tonight I made a loaf and after replenishing it like normal it hasn't puffed back up. Does this mean I am going to loose this one? Can I feed it another teaspoon of sugar and save it?

Thanks.
so, i'm not too sure how much (or little) you had left or how much flour & water you added to it, but if the remaining starter was still alive, it should still be fine. it'll just take a while for the little amount of yeast to multiply and get "lively" enough to use again. if you've just given it some water & flour, leave it out somewhere not too cool for a few days. it'll probably be fine. in my experience, sourdough has been pretty resiliant and takes some serious neglect to actually kill it off.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I just now pleaded with DH to get me the King Arthur sourdough crock...It should happen, after all I got him a Harley!
1) if he doesn't, why don't you consider dumping that loser and move in with me. bring the harley, too.

2) don't give up entirely on doing your own starter. maybe wait for warmer weather & use some coarse dark rye or add some locally grown organic fruit peels as a yeast source.

3) if you buy some starter, let us know which you get & how it turns out. some of the ones from that other company sound pretty tasty.

good luck
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #47
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post

Thanks.
frankz - a little extra reading for you:

Use an Active Culture
As you know, when you add flour and water to the culture, it will go through a typical cycle where the culture froths up then recedes. For good results, it is not necessary to catch the culture at the peak of frothing, so long as it is used within a few hours afterwards.
The high level of activity in a culture can be maintained with storage in a refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. As the time in refrigerated storage increases, the effort to regenerate also increases. After a couple of months in storage, it can take a couple of days to regenerate. With several months of storage, it can take much longer.. If it has been sitting dormant in the refrigerator for many weeks, a continuous process of re-generation may be needed.
Using all purpose flour, add equal volumes of flour and water to the culture repeated for several days. To begin, add the flour and water to increase total volume about 3 fold, and let it set at room temperature until there is some sign of activity. It may be a couple days if the culture is really dormant. Typically at this stage, the activity may only be evident by the formation of a few relatively large bubbles (about 2-3 mm). The culture will likely taste strongly acidic. Dump out about ⅔ of this, and again add flour and water to bring it up to the same volume. As the activity of the culture begins to pick up, this process will be repeated daily, and then finally twice daily. In a strongly active culture, there will be significant frothing within a few hours of adding new flour and water. However, it may take 2-3 weeks to achieve this from a strongly dormant culture (probably because the balance of yeast to bacteria is way off).

from Sourdoughs International: sourdough bread starter, sourdough bread recipes, bread machine recipes recipe page.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #48
Senior Cook

I am making a hops starter. I boil hops for twenty minutes, strain out the liquid and then mix that with mashed potato and corn meal. The corn meal was cooked before adding. That ferments for 48 hours, then I make bread with it. Has anyone ever made this?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #49
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
1) if he doesn't, why don't you consider dumping that loser and move in with me. bring the harley, too.

2) don't give up entirely on doing your own starter. maybe wait for warmer weather & use some coarse dark rye or add some locally grown organic fruit peels as a yeast source.

3) if you buy some starter, let us know which you get & how it turns out. some of the ones from that other company sound pretty tasty.

good luck
1.) LOL...he got me the crock.

2.) I do have my own starter, I just got the crock. My starter belonged to my great-grandmother before she shared with me. I was the only one interested.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #50
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I added some flour this morning and it looks like it is starting to perk up a bit. Will be feeding again tomorrow morning and see if we can her moving along all healthy again.

If not I haven't named it yet so if I loose it I won't cry or anything, but I will have to start another which just delays having more bread.

Tags
None