Sourdough starter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm more afraid he'll have proof of the hole in my head he keeps talking about...:blush:
Anyone who talks like that runs the risk of getting one of their own IMO. ;)

Hey, PF, once that starter is dried out, could you mail that? Not necessarily to me (although I wouldn't complain!) but I meant just anywhere.

Hey, PF, once that starter is dried out, could you mail that? Not necessarily to me (although I wouldn't complain!) but I meant just anywhere.

I don't see why not, although at this stage it's still an experiment in progress. I'll want to get it completely dried, ground up and stored for at least a week before seeing if it remains viable. I'll keep posting my progress on Audreys II & III and after I get good results anyone who would like can PM me if they want some mailed. I'm supposing I would mail at least two teaspoons of the dried to assist in getting a good starter going. I'll also have to work up a formula to see what amount works best for rehydration and amount it takes to make a viable starter.

Oh gosh, my brain is starting to ache with all this thinking...I need more coffee.;)

Last nights loaf came out better. I am making progress with this. I had an 11 hour rise.

Tonight I will make the dough and let it rise overnight. It is easier to be patient and not worry the dough when you are sleeping. The flavor is getting close and so is the height. I sent Kathleen to school today with egg salad on sourdough. The loaf was about 3/4thish the height I am looking for.

I have another loaf proofing now. Gonna let it go all night and check on it in the morning. I don't anticipate baking until early afternoon tomorrow.

We shall see what we shall see.

Gonna have to feed ol' grumpy soon.

Audrey III - the one I was drying out developed acne (bad mold) I don't think I spread it thinly enough for it to dry out fast enough. Will get back to it on Monday with my first discard.

Sometimes they just want to be bad. Good luck with the next experiment.

Ol' Grumpy did it up for me. Woke up this morning and peeked and boy howdy had it risen. Peeled the plastic wrap off, brought the loaf downstairs and baked it.

I am wondering how the flavor will be with such a fast (10 hours) rise.

Just tried this loaf of bread. Has some tang to it. Very deep level of tang. I am not sure I would want it much more sour. But it is good. Now if I could just get a sandwich sized slice (though this is close).

Since it rose to connect with the plastic wrap the top got tore a bit. I wonder if that kinda killed the oven spring idea. This one is pretty flat on top.

Attachments

• SD01.jpg
    SD01.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 231
So I must have insulted the starter by calling it Ol' Grumpy. The last 36 hours has seen the activity level go through the roof (and the lid). Doubling in a couple hours, to be beaten back and double again. Crazy. I use a gladware or ziplock container and it has popped the lid off a few times. The storage starter is just under 1C measured on the container and it has pushed the lid up (it isn't just gassing that has moved the lid).

So I went for another loaf. It is still cooling so I will have to wait to see how the bread turned out but the loaf looks much better I think. Slight tear, yeah I forgot to slash it.

I think this one looks sandwichable.

Attachments

• loaf01.jpg
    loaf01.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 309
  • loaf02.jpg
    loaf02.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 236
I cut the loaf and tried a piece. Yeah.. that's the worst part of this process, trying all that fresh baked bread.

The texture was really close to what I wanted. Could be a little lighter but overall I am pretty happy with that part. The flavor was good, though not tangy, very subtle. I suspect it was the much faster rise than anything.

Going to have to ponder all of this and try again soon. :)

Went looking for this thread. It vividly brought back all my trials and errors with that freaking starter and my frustration that it would not do the wonderful things I saw Frank's doing!

I thought about trying again back in the early part of the year and then Covid hit and I got too busy to think, let alone cook. Now that life has settled a bit and I have some time to myself I'm going to try again.

Now, as I've recalled, my kitchen is likely too cold for a fast growth so I'll try to be patient with time. I will also remember to use distilled water and to cover my starter better than I did last time.

Does philso still come around? I was wondering about the grapes thing. I don't have organic grapes (although I guess I could ask for those in my next delivery) but I do have regular grapes. Just plop them in the flour/water slurry?

I tried sour dough starter because of the virus.
Like you trial and error. I had my starter in my oven to keep it warmer than the room. But forgot one day and pre-heated the oven with the starter in it. Lost many days and lots of flour.
I got good at the starter. Its baking the bread I'm not so good at.

Using rye to get a starter started is a good idea.

I find when I switch to white flour for the long haul it stalls a little, but be patient and it will start moving again.

Our new oven has a proofing setting, so no more shooting the IR thermometer around the house looking for a good spot to proof.

I'll maybe go find some rye flour to start. I used white before. I also have a lovely crock that I'm going to use.

I have made many a sourdough starter and find them easy to make and feed.

Ever wonder why sourdough from, say, Boston, would taste different than sourdough from San Francisco? Sourdough gets its name fro the sour flavor of the wild yeast strains in the starter. Commercial yeast isn't as hardy as is wild yeast. When the PH level reaches a certain level of acidity, the commercial yeast can no longer reproduce. The This is also true of wild yeast. However, wild yeast will grow in stronger acids than will commercially produced varieties. It's the acid that gives sourdough its sour flavor. And that's not the whole story. The water in San Francisco tastes different, and has different minerals than the water in Boston, again altering the flavor of the bread.

Sourdough is best made where bread is baked regularly, as there will be more wild yeast in the air. I always made mine in crockery, with nothing more than AP flor, a spoonful of milk 9for the sugar content 0 and enough water to make a flour slurry. I covered the crockery with cheesecloth, and placed it near a screen-covered open window, early summer. This let wild yeast into the slurry while keeping everything else out. my water came from my well.

As the yeast invaded my slurry, it would begin to consume the lactose, and starches, and multiply. I would add another 2 tbs. flou, and water over the next 3 days, once per day. The starter was ready when it smelled yeasty and sour, and was bubbly. After that, it could be used in a poolish, or bigga to make sourdough baked goods. Ass long as you add more flour, and water, it will last forever. Just keep the critters out with a good lid.

Good luck with your sourdough. I have found it best to make in the early summer, when there is wild yeast everywhere in the air.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwond of the North

Through the years, I tried many ways of making sourdough bread, but the I could never get the liquid starters to work consistently - the only way to do this is when making breads constantly, and I'm not doing that! And putting the starter in the fridge to keep, it needs to be "brought back", STS, and even then, it takes a few times to get it back to the right flavor. The best method I have found is using a firm starter - a method I found in a great book: Artisan Baking Across America, by Maggie Glezer. The firm starter doesn't go bad quickly, and takes very little "refreshing", to bring it back. I keep a small clump of it in the fridge, and only 10 g old starter, 25 g water, and 45 g bread flour is needed to refresh it I have it memorized, but it's written on the jar, just in case!), and even after months in the fridge, it comes back fast. And I've never had a bread made with it come out too sour, which has happened with the liquid starters.

Unfortunately my house is always cold. And starters are not very fond of that environment.
Do you have a microwave? Before I got my stove with a proofing setting, I used Katie's method: heat a cup of water to boiling in the microwave and put your dough in it, along with the steaming water, to rise. It will stay warm because it's insulated.

Back
Top Bottom