"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 07-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Split-pea based sandwich-spread

I have some split-peas that I want to turn into sandwich-spread using a blender (I'm not very fond of soup). I was wondering how I could season the spread? I have strained tomatoes, olives, powdered garlic and a few different herbs and spices. I also have some tuna, but that would be silly...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Senior Cook

If you have mint make pesto type spread with the peas

mint and garlic? Basil would probably work also. How about a grilled vegetable spread? Onions, red peppers, maybe a hot pepper or 2.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Master Chef

I would add garlic, salt, pepper and the strained tomatoes to the split peas, and I'd toast the bread.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Master Chef

Tuna and white bean spread is quite popular and delicious, so I wouldn't discount that right away. If you have the right spices you could make a Mediterranean kind of spread with the tuna and olives and tomatoes. Garlic, lemon juice, etc.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Thanks for the advice everyone! Do I just throw everything in the blender or do you intend some of the ingredients to be prepared/added differently?

Lizand, when you say "grilled vegetable spread", do you mean that I should grill the vegetables and then blend them? And when you say grill, is that fried or broiled?

I don't think I have an Mediterranean spices but I'll look into it. Which are suitable?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
If you don't have a grill to actually grill the veggies I would roast them or just saute in a dry pan until caramelized. Broiled would be the closest to grilled, not fried.

I'm thinking oregano would be a good herb to use, lemon, garlic too. Whether or not you throw everything in a blender depends on whether or not you want to see the ingredients and have it be sort of chunky or you want it to be more smooth, like hummus.

Love the tomatoes in there too!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
Senior Cook

By grilled I mean either grilled on a grill over fire or

in a grill pan or they could even be roasted in a hot oven or under the broiler. A little bit of char on the vegetables gives them a lot of flavor. I have purchased a vegetable spread that has roasted red peppers as its base
with roasted onion garlic eggplant and I think you couldnd't do the same with the peas as your base ingredient.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Split-pea Spread Mark I consisted of about four cups of yellow split-peas, 500 g strained tomatoes, a few squirts of lemon juice from a plastic lemon, half a teaspoon or so of garlic powder, half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of black pepper. The blender didn't suck the split-peas down into a vortex as I'd hopped, so there are still some floating around which makes it look quite nice. I threw in some mixed salad herbs since I think unidentified green bits always add a touch of professionality.

I've had four rounds of toast and there's still about a litre left :) It was nice, though not quite as thick as I wanted. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the recipe(s).
Old 07-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I just broiled a couple of onions (roughly chopped) and a pepper (also pretty roughly chopped) and threw it in with some black pepper, salt, garlic powder, oregano and strained tomatoes for lubrication (otherwise it wont blend!) and it turned out quite chunky and nice. The onions made it somewhat spicy to my delicate sensibilities but I enjoyed it, this time on untoasted bread.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
If you have the right spices you could make a Mediterranean kind of spread with the tuna and olives and tomatoes. Garlic, lemon juice, etc.
I would like to try this out but need some instruction... I have cumin, paprika, oregano, thyme and can buy others (not saffron, though!). Should I just throw the lot in my blender?

Tags
None