"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 12-13-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Stale bread...

Even though I make one pound loaves of bread, the last of the loaf always tends to get a bit stale. I usually resusciate it with 10 seconds in the micro, but it tends to pick up moisture this way. Anybody got a better way?

Old 12-13-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Master Chef

What about freezing half the loaf when you make it? That way you can pull it out whenever you need it rather than racing to finish a whole loaf before it goes stale.

Old 12-13-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Or 'spritz' with a little water and then put in a hot oven for a few minutes.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
What about freezing half the loaf when you make it? That way you can pull it out whenever you need it rather than racing to finish a whole loaf before it goes stale.
I do put part in the freezer. Even though I take out small quantities, it still gets, not grossly stale, but certainly not fresh. I tried taking out on an "as needed" basis, but defrosting bread when you want a quick sammie late at night doesn't cut it either. BTW, you convinced me to get the CI Baking book.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
I do put part in the freezer. Even though I take out small quantities, it still gets, not grossly stale, but certainly not fresh. I tried taking out on an "as needed" basis, but defrosting bread when you want a quick sammie late at night doesn't cut it either. BTW, you convinced me to get the CI Baking book.
What do you think of it so far? It's such a tome--I wish I had more time to sit and read it than I do (and try all the recipies!). Even if I don't use it a lot, I'm glad I have it in my collection.

How's your weather? I heard MN got hit with some nasty wind storms overnight.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #6
Sous Chef

I just ordered the book a few days ago, and haven't received it yet. Yesterday it was snowing with a 30+mph wind. My parents live across the street, and we had to go and get them in the Jeep for Sunday dinner. When I got up this morning it was 3 below, but it is supposed to warm up again later this week.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Any bread I freeze I find it must be toasted afterwards to have any good flavor again.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
Executive Chef

If you have stale bread that cannot be brought back to life, don't forget that croutons are made of stale bread and French toast turns out great when using the stale stuff!
Old 12-13-2004, 03:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm tellin ya, Otter - bread pudding. Nothing finer IMO, in spite of my stupid family who won't eat it after the first outing from the oven.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:21 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
I'm tellin ya, Otter - bread pudding. Nothing finer IMO, in spite of my stupid family who won't eat it after the first outing from the oven.
I've got the other bases covered (french toast, toast, etc.), but I have never done the bread pudding thing - got a good recipe for me?

Tags
None