Stromboli idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I want to make one for dinner. Maybe a cordon-blueish taste?

I have red peppers I'd roast to throw them in, some ham slices, swiss, chicken, thought I'd caramelize some onions..... anything else come to mind?

Can I just use any pizza dough recipe? I usually do for calzones..... I thought I'd throw in some whole wheat flour.

I found something similar at allrecipes but the ingredient lis makes it seem bland.

Thanks!
Dinner is at 6pm your time.... I'm sure we'll have plenty! ;)

squzie, that does sound good!

every stromboli that i've ever had just used regular pizza dough, so you should be ok.

you could try adding a leaf or two of fresh sage along it's length.

wasn't stromboli the big fat mean dude in Pinocchio?

:)

I had sage, the kids trampled both leaves yesterday. :(

i don't know about the little rhinous liar, :cool:, but stromboli is a volcanic island north of messina, italy.

Call me madam Stromboli..... Calzone.....Calbolzoni.... whatever...

It turned out GREAT!!

Did roasted yellow and red pepper, caramelized onion, garlic (added last 5 min of the onions) swiss, pre-cooked chicken, a sprinkle of pepper and nutmeg.

I made the dough 1/2 white 1/2 wheat.

Only problem was I forgot to cut vents in the top... it was a teeny gooey inside, but its ok cuz my fillings didn't have alot of moisture. :)

I didn't take a pic cuz I was too overwhelmed with "helpers".

It was really good!!!!

Call me madam Stromboli..... Calzone.....Calbolzoni.... whatever...

It turned out GREAT!!

Did roasted yellow and red pepper, caramelized onion, garlic (added last 5 min of the onions) swiss, pre-cooked chicken, a sprinkle of pepper and nutmeg.

I made the dough 1/2 white 1/2 wheat.

Only problem was I forgot to cut vents in the top... it was a teeny gooey inside, but its ok cuz my fillings didn't have alot of moisture. :)

I didn't take a pic cuz I was too overwhelmed with "helpers".

It was really good!!!!

Glad it turned out well, suzi. One of mine looked a little like The Elephant Man. I overstuffed the chix a bit. :huh: It's in the freezer. From memory, chicken, broc, ham & swiss - with honey dijon mustard. Think I may make a few more for the next picnic, & try chix/spinach/muenster/roasted red sweet peppers & shrooms.

Last edited:
Might as well put the recipe here. It's the first stromboli thread I came to.
This is my sister's stromboli recipe. One of the things I loved about it most was the bread because it wasn't "doughy", the ingredients stood out. I see that she bought the bread dough frozen. I'm sure you bakers could adapt one of your recipes... Me, I think I'll buy frozen so I don't screw it up ;)

1 LOAF BREAD DOUGH (THAW ONLY ABOUT 1 HOUR SO IT DOESN’T RISE)
¼ LB. HAM
¼ LB. SALAMI
¼ LB. PEPPERONI
¼ LB. PROVOLONE CHEESE

ROLL OUT BREAD DOUGH TO ABOUT 12 X 12. LAYER MEATS AND CHEESE ON TOP. ROLL UP, THEN BAKE ON GREASED COOKIE SHEET ½ HOUR AT 350 DEGREE OR IF FROZEN 45 MINUTES. SERVE WITH SAUCE. CAN BE MADE AHEAD AND FROZEN.

The yellow/red bell pepper combo was a nice touch.

I use marinara as a dipping sauce for stromboli's and calzones.

Back
Top Bottom