"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 11-16-2004, 09:13 PM   #11
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Magia Send a message via MSN to Magia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magia
I don't know what "masa harina" is but from the rest of replies, I assume it is corn flower dough.
Close Magia - masa harina is just corn (white or yellow) ground to a very fine texture into a flour (masa = corn, harnia = flour).
Thanks Michael . I just wasn't too sure about "Masa Harina" as I had never seen that brand (?) before. Being a native Spanish speaker, I figured that "masa harina" meant "flour dough" or something along those lines, as harina = flour and masa = dough (not corn...) :D

Old 11-17-2004, 07:23 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I use it in chili. Nothing else works.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:53 PM   #13
Senior Cook

minor correction: masa harina is corn that has been treated wih lime, much like hominy - before being dried and ground into a flour. The masa harina I buy has always had a distinct yellow cast to it, suggesting it is made from yellow field corn.

(I haven't tried it, but perhaps if one dried canned hominy and then ground it to a flour consistency in a blender.................?????????)

Incidentally, if you have a good Mexican restaurant in your area, but no masa harina in your local stores, you might find the restarant will sell the prepared masa (dough).
Old 01-11-2006, 01:03 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Masa doesn not mean corn, nor is it a brand. Masa means "dough" in Spanish. Back in the day Native Mexicans prepared corn by soaking it in lime (Calcium hydroxide, a pickling agent) and rubbing it to remove the skins. It was then ground up to create a dough. The prepared corn was called "Nixtamal." You can make it at home. Here's how:
http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/tort...t/nixtamal.htm

At this point you can dry the nixtamal and grind it when it is dried creating a flour out of the previous dough. So "Masa Harina" translates into "Dough Flour" since it is a flour made from a previous dough.

Learn more about corn here:
http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/intr...ood/a/corn.htm

Hope that clears things up.

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell."
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Interestingly enough, no one ever answered the original question that started this thread. There was an immediate derailment to what masa harina was and things never got back on track.

Since the question goes back to October 2004, I'm hoping the need was not a pressing one.

Sometimes, you don't need to know how to build a clock, you just want to know what time it is.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Interestingly enough, no one ever answered the original question that started this thread. There was an immediate derailment to what masa harina was and things never got back on track.

Since the question goes back to October 2004, I'm hoping the need was not a pressing one.

Sometimes, you don't need to know how to build a clock, you just want to know what time it is.
The original poster never stated why he/she wished a substitute for masa harina. I presume that they were not able to find a product called masa harina on their store shelf. Here in California Walmart has masa harina in it's regular Walmart stores (the one's without the dedicated grocery).

Given the widespread distribution of latin immigrants to the U.S. it is probably a safe bet that there is a source of masa harina and other latin foods in nearly every U.S. state if the poster knows what and where to look for it.

Corn flower and corn meal, in that order, would be substitutes, albiet not equal substitutes, in the complete absence of masa harina.

NOTE: I just noticed that the original poster is located in China and in that context the nature of the question is clearer.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #17
Executive Chef

true, china is not a big grower of maise, nor is it likely to import much. Would a supermarket in China have a "Goya aisle" like we do here on the east coast??

Lot's of foods are lye processed...most cerials, pretzels, etc. cocoa.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #18
Head Chef

Michael, you are right about using wood ash for making hominy. That is what my grandmother used when she was making hominy herself. She did not always have a way to get the lye or lime out in the country.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Corn meal would not at all work in place of masa. Corn flour may work for tortillas, but not for tamales.

There is no substitute for masa harina unless you use actual ground nixtamal which is what masa harina is made from.

I would imagine you could order masa harina online and have it shipped to China. The shipping may be alot, but it is possible.

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell."
Aediekins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None