"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 10-19-2004, 05:09 AM   #1
Cook

Substitution masa harina?

Substitution masa harina?

Old 10-19-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
Master Chef

It really depends on what you are making. If you're rolling tamales, nothing will substitute. For many things, you can use fresh corn tortillas. For others, you can crumble corn chips, such as Doritoes brand. Masa Harina is made by cooking corn flour with lime juice, drying, and crushing into flour. It has a unique flavor that can't be duplicated by other corn or grain products.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Masa Harina is made by cooking corn flour with lime juice, drying, and crushing into flour.
Not quite. The 'lime' used to make fresh masa isn't juiced from the fruit of the same name. 'Lime' in this instance is a caustic mineral used in making cement, also referred to as calcium hydroxide (hydrated lime). When the dried field corn is soaked in a lime solution, the tough outer hulls soften and can be removed by hand. The kernels are then rinsed and boiled. The end product of this process is called nixtamal. Nixtamal is ground into masa.

Chinachef, could you post the recipe in which you're trying to substitute for masa?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:57 PM   #4
Master Chef

Thank you Scott123. I misunderstood the reference I got my ino from. Interestingly enough, hominy is treated with lye to soften the hull and make the kernals palatable. And hominy shares some flavor characteristics with Masa Harina. Again, thanks for the correction. I guess I am proved mortal once again. I can err (just look at all my typos(heavy sigh))

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:05 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Hominy and lye? Interesting, I didn't know that. I guess that makes sense since lye and lime are both alkaloids.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
Master Chef

"One of the first food gifts the American Indians gave to the colonists, hominy is dried white or yellow corn kernels from which the hull and germ have been removed. This process is done either mechanically or chemically by soaking the corn in slaked lime or lye."

If I remember right .... the Native Americans used wood ash from the cooking fires for this. I'll try to get my son to look in my old Foxfire books (that he has on permanent loan)
Old 10-25-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I'll try to get my son to look in my old Foxfire books (that he has on permanent loan)
The sacrifices we make for our children!!!

I look forward to reading the results of your search, Michael.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
If I remember right .... the Native Americans used wood ash from the cooking fires for this.
I'm sure you're right. Wood ash has been the cooking akaloid of choice for countless primitive cultures across the globe.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:50 PM   #9
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Magia Send a message via MSN to Magia
I don't know what "masa harina" is but from the rest of replies, I assume it is corn flower dough. There are several products that are used to make "masa" or corn dough on this side of the planet (Mexico and Central America). "Maseca" is one, the other one is "Torti-ya". It looks like regular flower, you just need to ad water and sometimes (if you like) margarine, butter, pig's fat (this one is very popular for making tamales), vegetable oil or whatever other sort of fat . There is a web site that offers this products, I don't know if they will ship them to China, but hey, it won't hurt to check it out... at least you can see what the products look like :)
Here's that link http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...rch?mex-grocer
Old 11-10-2004, 08:58 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magia
I don't know what "masa harina" is but from the rest of replies, I assume it is corn flower dough.
Close Magia - masa harina is just corn (white or yellow) ground to a very fine texture into a flour (masa = corn, harnia = flour).

Tags
None