The Secret To Making The Greatest Grilled Cheese Sandwich You Will Ever Eat...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting idea. I have made garlic bread using a concoction of mayo, garlic and parmesan cheese. ( I had run out of butter) It worked!

I'm going to try that grilled cheese idea.

Put a grilled burger on top of the bacon and I'd say you got something special going. I have sprinkled parmesan on top of the outside buttered slices. That's pretty good too.

Add-ins aside for the moment, this sounds like a simple change that adds flavor. Worth a try. It would also work with add-ins.

Many many years ago when I was in a band the drummer's mom would make us grilled cheese with mayo, and butter.

She would spread the mayo on the bread and drop the butter in the skillet.

Sounds good. I'll have to try that next time I make a grilled cheese.

I've put mayo on chicken before roasting, and you can't taste that it's mayo at all.

I tried this last night at an impromptu get together we had and don't like the texture nearly as well as using butter. The flavor was popped up a little but in a side by side comparison, the merlot drinkers at my house last night preferred the standard "house" grilled cheese as follows:

Hamburger buns (inside out) with BUTTER on the outside

On the inside:
Sharp cheddar cheese AND smoked gouda
Sliced kosher dill pickle (not too much)
Course ground brown mustard

Cooked in a frying pan; artfully flattened rather than mashed senseless in a panini press....

I tried this last night at an impromptu get together we had and don't like the texture nearly as well as using butter. The flavor was popped up a little but in a side by side comparison, the merlot drinkers at my house last night preferred the standard "house" grilled cheese as follows:

Hamburger buns (inside out) with BUTTER on the outside

On the inside:
Sharp cheddar cheese AND smoked gouda
Sliced kosher dill pickle (not too much)
Course ground brown mustard

Cooked in a frying pan; artfully flattened rather than mashed senseless in a panini press....

I like the sound of that Janet. I never would have thought of inside out hamburger buns, and I'm also with you on no panini press. Panini smashed sandwiches don't do a thing for me.

I like the sound of that Janet. I never would have thought of inside out hamburger buns, and I'm also with you on no panini press. Panini smashed sandwiches don't do a thing for me.

I have only had a sandwich in a panini press once, and wasn't fond of it at all. :huh: I'm with you and Janet here. I can understand wanting to get good grill marks or a good crust on the bread, but it so often seems overdone, at least to me.

I like tomato on my grilled cheese. Kicks it way up. Sliced thin with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Just the way I like mine also. I am afraid, unlike the rest of you gourmands, I am not too adventurous in my eating habits. Too old and stuck in my ways. so many of todays foods were not around when I was a child and that is where my likes and dislikes come from. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom