"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 03-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Trying to buy 10lb bags of flour

I've taken up a real interest in baking breads of late. I ended going through lots of flour, trying to figure out where I can buy flour in bulk (not the 50 lb bags from wholesale stores). Something in the range of 10 -20 lb bags of flour. Anyone have any ideas..

Old 03-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Master Chef

if you don't mind 25 lb bags, you can get them at Sam's club, which is where I buy mine and store it in a plastic covered container with bay leaves in it to keep the weevils out.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I used to buy the Sam's flour until I tried King Arthur flour. The difference in my baked goods was amazing. But sadly, I haven't been able to find it in anything larger than 5lb. bags.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

LadyCook61 : I need to look into buying flour from Sams..Costco seems to stock only the 50lb.

Fisher's Mom : I like King Arthur too..hoping to find a source to buy it in something other than 5lb bags..

thanks
Old 03-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One of our local mom-and-pop bakeries uses King Arthur flour and I've purchased flour from them. You might check bakeries in your area and see if they'll sell flour to you.

The flour would be very fresh because bakeries go through flour pretty quickly.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smag View Post
Fisher's Mom : I like King Arthur too..hoping to find a source to buy it in something other than 5lb bags..

thanks
Well, if you find a source for larger bags of KA, I hope you'll remember to share! And BTW, welcome to DC!
Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Head Chef

Look for a restaurant supply house. We have a local GFS. It's great for purchasing larger quantities.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
If you live in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho or northern Mexico, Smart & Final carries 10 pound bags of King Arthur flour, among other brands.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by smag View Post
I've taken up a real interest in baking breads of late. I ended going through lots of flour, trying to figure out where I can buy flour in bulk (not the 50 lb bags from wholesale stores). Something in the range of 10 -20 lb bags of flour. Anyone have any ideas..
You can order from King Arthur and they'll deliver them to your door!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
Master Chef

The flour(s) you would normally use to make bread appear to only come in increments of 5, 25, and 50 pound bags. I tried and couldn't find any regional mills that sold 10-lb increments, either.

Sam's Club sells All-Purpose and Bread flours in 25-lb bags, those are also the only ones I could find that King Arthur sells in that size bag.

Don't know where you live, smag - but sometimes if you can't find a 25-lb bag of flour on your store's shelves - they might be able to order it if it is something that is available from their regional distribution center. But, compare the price of a 25-lb bag to 5 5-lb bags. The 25-lb bag of King Arthur bread flour is actually a few cents more than 5 5-lb bags on their website - and the 25-lb bag from Sam's was about half the KA price.

Of course, if you want to move up to the flours that professional bakers use - you're back to looking at 50-lb bags.

Tags
None