"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches
Old 02-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
How about adding some sour cream and a bit of lemon juice? That would be tasty. Plain yogurt might work, too.

And, yep, even my house brand of salad dressing (read that Miracle Whip) includes egg yolks in the list of ingredients.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Easton
I have a problem with consuming products with eggs as one of its ingredients, which means no mayo. What could I substitute for mayo or, rather, how could I avoid having to eat a dry tuna melt/sandwich?
Welcome to DC, Easton. One suggestion is adding a bit of Ranch or Blue cheese dressing in place of mayo (but check the ingredients on the label). I am a tuna purist, and buy the tuna in water and add very little to 'the mix.' Since it's a tuna melt, doubt you would miss the mayo. The cheese will make the tuna sammich creamy & add flavor.

My fave tuna sammich is - a whole can of solid white tuna in water (drained), basil leaves, sliced roma tomatoes, chopped onions, s&p, slices of provalone or fresh grated Parm or mozzarella cheese, on french/italian bread loaf - sprinkle with a little red wine vinegar or evoo -- my version of a tuna caprese sandwich. If you want it melty, just pop under thr broiler or in the oven for a few.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
Head Chef
Kraft Products do tend to have a unique flavor present in most of their products. Ever eat a Kraft cheese sandwich with Miracle Whip dressing? They almost taste identical when put together.
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer
I can't eat mayo either. I love urmaniac13's suggestion. That is one way I love to do it.

Another way I like it is with just a splash of lemon juice. When I was young I used to take a large piece of lettuce and put on some tuna, a little salt and pepper, and a little lemon juice. I would roll it up and eat just like that.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You mentioned "tuna melt" in your post. If this is what you are trying to make then definitely try the evoo route. The cheese should help it not be dry also.

JDP and urmaniac have some great ideas - I have copied and saved both of those! LOVE the cilantro! JDP - it sounds like you could add a bit of panko, an egg white, and make a tuna versus salmon patty.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
the sandwich shops around my place of work sell three kinds of tuna salad: regular, with mayo and diced celery; italian, with olive oil, diced sweet peppers and olives; and mexican, with oil (i'm not sure of the kind),and diced jalapenos and onions.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
some low fat yogurt would give you the needed moisture...
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
Executive Chef
I like adding balsamic vinegar to tuna. Looks like you've recieved some good suggestions!
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #19
Executive Chef
As ChefJune and Katie E have mentioned, you can use yoghurt. At the same time, you can add chopped onion, celery, salt and pepper to your tuna.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating!
boufa06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #20
Master Chef
Yes - yogurt. Completely forgot about that. My husband uses yogurt as a sub for mayo in virtually everything.

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote