Unique and Great Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
As promised to "linda gayle", here's the topic. We're looking for sandwiches that are out of the ordinary, your own creation if possible, and absolutely yummy. "linda gayle" please re-post your sandwich here.

I've a different one for you as well.

Ingredients"
1 large egg
1 tbs Splenda or sugar
1 tsp cinimon
2 dashes nutmeg
1/8 cup milk
2 slices Coarse ground or stone ground whole wheat bread
2 slices Velveeta Cheese
Your favorite syrup, or honey (ya gotta try buckwheat honey, yum)

Mix the egg, sweetener, cinimon, nutmeg and egg together with a whisk or for, Dip the bread into the mix and place on a hot , lightly-grease or buttered griddle. Cook until medium browned on one side. Flip one piece of bread and place the cheese on the cooked side. Cover with the cooked side of the second bread slice. Finish browning the bottom slice, flip and brown the top slice. Serve like a grilled cheese sandwich and top with table syrup, maple syrup, or honey.

This sandwich sounds strange, but it is sooooo good.

Also, for your next PBJ, butter the outside and grill like grilled cheese. Amazing flavor difference compared to toast or plain bread.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

unusual sandwich

Yhis is my sandwich. 2slices of white bread, use other if you choose.layer sandwich, mayo, nice dlii ham, Alpine Lace cheese, Moterery jack, or peper jack cheese. Beat 2 eggs, crush pototo chips, dip sandwich into egg batter,next dredge in pototo chip crumbs Fry in butter,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Delish.....

WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE, SONGBIRD : :LOL: :)

My mostest favoritest sammich

Any kind of yummy, grainy artisan bread, sliced thick

Drizzle the bread generously with olive oil
Smoosh (technical term, I know) a fresh mozerella ball on the bread
Add a slice or two of fresh from the garden tomato

Broil until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned where it peeks out from beneath the tomato

Add some freshly chopped basil on top before munching

Heavenly! /swoon

Z

Edit Ohhhh, just reread the original post and realized it was supposed to be for uinque sandwiches. My bad.

Just 'cause I luvs y'all so much, here's my 'suggestion' page of sandwiches from my catering days! Enjoy! Sorry, no recipes, just ideas.

MISCELLANEOUS SANDWICH IDEAS

Turkey & Brie w/honey mustard dressing, lettuce/tomato on croissant

Pecan chicken w/garlic bourbon glace, lettuce/tomato on panella

Turkey breast w/lingonberry sauce, cream cheese and red onion on pumpernickel

Black Forest ham,muenster cheese, honey mustard on marble rye

Roast beef with brie & roasted garlic mayonnaise on French roll

Chicken salad withtarragon mayonnaise on Kaiser w/lettuce and tomato

Roasted veggies on foccacia with roasted pepper mayonnaise

Southwest chicken breast (grilled in marinade of lime juice, chipotle and ancho pepper powder) w/chipotle mayonnaise,lettuce and fresh salsa on panella

Deviled egg salad on croissant w/baby lettuce and tomato

Grilled salmon sandwich w/dill dressing and cucumber relish on Kaiser roll

Antipasto sandwich w/prosciutto, provolone, olive tapanade, fresh mozzerella, lettuce/tomato and sliced red onion on foccacia

Grilled fresh tuna with olive tapanade, lettuce/tomato, Greek dressing mayonnaise on toasted panella

Grilled eggplant sandwich w/fresh mozzerella, sundried tomatoes marinated in wine, roasted red peppers, lettuce and tomato on panella

Teriyaki chicken or fresh tuna sandwich with wasabi mayonnaise, romaine lettuce, and cucumbers marinated in rice wine vinaigrette on Kaiser roll

Provencal grilled chicken breast (herbes de Provence, garlic, oil, lemon zest marinade) w/shaved parmesan and Romaine lettuce on croissant

Greek salad grilled chicken w/feta cheese, and lettuce/tomato/cucumber/onion in Greek marinade on panella

Vegetarian Wraps:
- Caesar salad wrap w/romaine, red onion, parmesan cheese, caesar dressing, hard cooked eggs, and tomatoes on vegetable tortilla wrap.

- Tex Mex wrap with shredded lettuce, red onion, rice and black beans, tomatoes, Monterey Jack cheese, and salsa on sun dried tomato tortilla.

- Greek salad wrap with feta, shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, olives, cucumber, and yogurt garlic dressing on spinach wrap.

- Provencal wrap with field greens, shaved parmesan, calamata olives, hard boiled eggs, green beans, tomatoes, and steamed green beans with herbes de Provence vinaigrette on spinach tortilla.

- Primavera wrap with spinach, tomato, steamed zucchini, yellow squash & onion, and mushrooms and shaved parmesan with basil vinaigrette on spinach wrap.

I think any of the above would blow my diet straight out the window.

What happened to the movie favorites - pastrami on rye or peanut butter & jelly? :)

Over time all of 'em will get a look in & tried - yum....

Garden fresh basil & tomato are a perfect match along with a drizzle of 'me old mate' (ev olive oil).

Can't beat a yabbie sanga with homemade mayo or tom, basil etc salt & pep, your fav cheese on your fav bread - bewdifull.

Yabbie = freshwater crayfish found locally in the dams & rivers (& free). Range in size from prawn (shrimp) to small lobster.
sanga = Aussie slang for sandwich ( pronounced sang- ah)

Question: Why is the Aust warcry "Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi"?
Answer: 'Cos we forgot the rest.......

Brooksy

One fried egg(sunny side up with an extra yoke) bacon,and worsestershire sauce on white toast. This is my favorite sandwich and I don't like eggs. :LOL:

These are not only unique but exotic as well

Green Chutney Sandwich:

To make the chutney:

Large bunch of cilantro
juice of 1 lime
2 large cloves of garlic
2 tsps of sugar
1 jalapeno pepper
1 tsp of salt
3 tbsp of fresh or dry unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)

Process this in a food processor, Don't add any water. The mixture should be nice and thick

Other ingredients:

Slices of white bread
Thinly sliced cucumber rounds
Thinly sliced tomato rounds
Thinly sliced boiled potato rounds
Some unsalted butter

Smear both slices of bread with the butter and cilantro chutney. Arrange the veggies and cut the sandwich at a diagonal and serve with some chips.

Chicken Roll

3 Chicken breasts (ground in a food processor)
1 tsp of cumin powder
1 tsp of corrainder powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp of minced ginger
1 onion finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped mint and cilantro
salt and black pepper to taste

Stir and marinate for an hour. Thread the chicken onto skewers like a sausage roll and then grill on an outdoor or indoor grill until done.

Remove chicken from skewers and reserve on the side

Serve in large wheat tortillas with shredded lettuce, sliced onions and yogurt sauce (plain yogurt, mixed with shredded cucumbers, salt and pepper)

OK.......my mouth is WATERING!!!!

These sandwiches sound so delicious. I just bought a panini maker today and can't wait to explore the infinite possiblities.

Tonight I made a grilled chicken (with a store bought Cuban marinade) with melted provolone. It was so good. Even my husband who is critical liked it. I realized that I think I would have liked it better with some additional ingredients.

I saw above the suggestion of turkey and brie. Huge lightbulb went on. That melted and gooey with slices of granny smith apple. YUM. My husband got pissed at me because I shared my brainstorm with him during a bad moment for the Dodgers. LOL. MEN!

Anyway, thanks for the great ideas.

Laurie

I just had an awesome 'open-face' sammy at a restaurant -

Split open small baguette, toasted; simple crab salad (just tasted like crab, mayo, s/p) on the baguette; some grilled baby asparagus spears; slices of plum tomato, and fontina cheese melted over top. Got a big WOW from me!

How amazing, I just finished a grilled chocolate sandwich. I got the recipe from King Arthur. Last weekend I made Martha Stewart's pressed picnic sandwich, and it was awesome also.

Linsa-Gail;

Sadly, I started the sandwhich and found that we had no chips. But the rest of the sandwich was still good. I will try it. I promise.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Unique Sandwiches

Hey Good Weed., I've got another.Fry some potatoes,diced with onions, Brown chuck, or ground beef drain.Take Kaiser onion roll, mayo on both sides, put, meat, potatoes top with, chili, add cheese put under broiler, everybody likes it, Messy but good.SONGBIRD, WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.

FRIED GREEN TOMATO SANDWICHES W/REMOULADE SAUCE

Tomatoes and Garnish:
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. olive oil
2 large green tomatoes
2tsp. butter

4 sandwich rolls
Lettuce (I like 'crispy' lettuce on this, like the stem ends of Romaine, or iceberg)

Remoulade Sauce:
2T mayonnaise
2T sour cream
1T horseradish
1T dijon mustard
2tsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. cayenne
2 scallions
1T sweet relish
1T capers

Whisk together buttermilk and egg; mix together cornmeal, salt and cayenne. Slice the tomatoes into ¼ inch thick slices. Dip tomatoes first in buttermilk mixture, then the cornmeal mixture to coat evenly.
Heat 1tsp. oil and 1tsp. butter over medium high heat til foamy. Add tomato slices, and cook til underside is golden brown; turn and saute other side.
For remoulade, combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend together. Place lettuce leaves on bottoms of buns; top with tomato slices and remoulade sauce; cover with tops of buns.

Add some crispy bacon slices and/or avocado slices to make this even better!

Ok... this fits here too... but I originally posted it in the breath killer sandwiches because of all the garlic in the Boursin =)

My favorite is grilled chicken panini with LOTS of Boursin cheese... grill strips of chicken, onions, peppers, mushrooms, set aside, slice your favorite foccacia lengthwise spread a LOT of bousin on one half, place bousin-side up on grill pan or sandwich press, layer in chicken, onions, peppers, mushrooms, a slice of your favorite cheese, and if your up to it... spread the other half of the foccacia with boursin and cover sandwich and grill... if not using a sandwich press or foreman grill... put a heavy pan on top of the sandwich as it grills... then flip when golden (if you're not cooking on something that cooks both sides

I am soooo humbled. These are such extraordinary sandwiches. I wish I could open a sandwich shop and feature every one. Unfortunately, it takes two things I lack. They are, in order of importance, location (Sault Ste. Marie, MI is not the place to introduce new and interesting foods, ho-hum), and working capital. It would take a lot more cash than I posess to do this. Now if a person were living someplace like Manhatan, or Seattle...

Oh, LindaGayle, your last sandwich reminded me of a teen-age favorite from years gone by. I and my best freind used to hop in the boat (small with 21 horse tiller motor), cruise accross the river, and fish for perch. We'd take along a bit of charcoal lighter, some raw spuds, and a bit of cooking oil, and a loaf of bread. Don't forget the salt and ketchup (a net and plastic bag filled with rocks and food keeps well in the cold waters of the St. Mary's River), and after we caught and cleaned the fish, we'd start a fire using available driftwood, throw a 15 inch cast iron pan on the fire, and make for ourselves the best potato-fish sandwiches. Oh to relive those days. I'd go back in time in a minute if I could. Summers were magical back then.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Rare roast beef, fresh mozzarella, roasted peppers and roasted eggplant drizzled with good balsamic vinegar and olive oil on a Portuguese roll. Good without the eggplant, too.
Great on foccacia.

Chicken and Pineapple

A favorite. Thick crusty bread - a thin layer of mayo on one slice, a thin layer of mustard on the other slice. Slices of chicken (leftover is great and ham works too), a slice of pineapple, a thin slice of sharp cheddar, lots of black pepper. YUM!

Back
Top Bottom