What are the components of a good stuffing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NO eggs in my stuffing. Celery, onion, fresh herbs (parsley, sage, thyme, rosemary), walnuts, poultry seasoning, ground sea salt, ground peppercorns, mushrooms, butter, chicken or turkey stock/broth and herb stuffing cubes.

I puree the celery when my sister is eating over, she's fine as long as she doesn't get a chunk of it and everyone else would miss the flavor if I left it out. Alittle bit of celery goes a long way, flavor-wise.

How about Celery Flakes? That is what I use in my "Stuffing Rice".:yum:

My stuffing/dressing is a lot like some of those mentioned. Saute onion and celery in butter until translucent. Add this to dried bread (cubed), along with broth, and seasoning (I usually use poultry seasoning and sometimes a little extra sage). From my mom I learned to add a big dollop of prepared yellow mustard. Then I bake it in a greased casserole dish.

As PF said, you could puree celery and add just for flavor. You could also use celery seed, but that wouldn't be the same.

I am with the oyster-hating group. I have tried oyster stuffing and will never try it again.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Me, too.

Well, I'm not a girl. But I'm all about cornbread stuffing. I like the southwest kind, with roasted peppers and bits of corn.
I grew up in Southern California and always had bread stuffing. Now that I am in South Carolina I have had cornbread stuffing a few times (at friends' or at the school where I taught). The only way I can eat it is if it is covered in lots of gravy. :flowers:

I have had cornbread stuffing and don't like the texture. It seems to mushy. I like cubes of stuffing. Cornbread stuffing has the texture of pudding to me.

I have had cornbread stuffing and don't like the texture. It seems to mushy. I like cubes of stuffing. Cornbread stuffing has the texture of pudding to me.

This sounds like a bad batch of cornbread "dressing".
Everybody can't make "dressing". They should stick
to stuffing.....:rolleyes::LOL:

The cornbread stuffing I've tried was either too dry and flavorless, or too mushy and equally flavorless. Even gravy couldn't save it. I too prefer the bread cubes, onion, celery, etc. No eggs or meat ( including oysters!)

Last edited:
The cornbread stuffing I've tried was either too dry and flavorless, or too mushy and equally flavorless. Even gravy couldn't save it. I too prefer the bread cubes, onion, celery, etc. No eggs or meat ( including oysters!)

There's no reason why cornbread stuffing should be any more or less flavorful than bread stuffing. I'd guess the culprit was the recipe.

Andy M. said:
There's no reason why cornbread stuffing should be any more or less flavorful than bread stuffing. I'd guess the culprit was the recipe.

I don't dare tell that to the Southern rels...they love the stuff.

Andy M. said:
Bread, onion, celery butter, turkey stock, sage, salt and pepper. This is the basic starting point. Take it from there. Other additions can be mushrooms, cooked sausage, nuts and wild rice.

This sounds like my stuffing but I toast the bread. The morning is spent toasting and tearing while the neck and giblets are boiling on the stovetop to make good stock. I just love the smells that come out of the kitchen on and around Thanksgiving.

My husband just loves cornbread stuffing. When I make that kind I start with crumbling up the cornbread and leaving it on the counter to dry out a bit before making the stuffing. It seems to work for me.

Back
Top Bottom