"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 09-20-2008, 03:10 PM   #21
Senior Cook

ok quick question. must it be unbleached bread flour? I have regular bread flour and unbleached all purpose. I'll double check that but is it a must on the unbleached bread flour? TIA

Old 09-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I don't think I've ever seen bleached bread flour. I'd be willing to bet that yours is unbleached.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
Senior Cook

RussellKhan it says enriched bread flour, does that mean unbleached??
Old 09-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Well, enriched does not imply that it wasn't bleached, but to my mind "bread flour" does. What brand is it? Also, check the ingredients list, it may say "unbleached" there.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Russ it doesnt say anything about bleached or unbleached as far as i can see. I'm using pillsbury best bread flour enriched and it says great for bread machines.

This is it
http://www.pillsburybaking.com/produ...299&prodID=719

definitely not unbleached
Old 09-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #26
Senior Cook

I just went over to the Pillsbury website and checked out their ingredient lists. The bread flour doesn't say it's unbleached anywhere, but their all purpose flour does mention in the ingredients that it is bleached. To me that implies that the bread flour is unbleached. That along with the fact that bread flour is a higher protein flour by definition and bleaching removes protein settles it, to my mind.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #27
Cook

I have made lots of bread,with the mixer, in a machine and some by hand. I thought when I first read your recipe the sugar content was a little high, but there are 6 cups of flour. I have found that bread flour makes a slightly softer, lighter loaf than all purpose, but I have used them both interchangebly. I haven't found that bleached/unbleached makes any difference. I have also found that a little dry milk powder helps also and several tbs in that recipe wouldn't hurt, it also tenderizes a loaf. I never knead before the 2nd rise. i dump out my dough and gently form it to shape then let rise. I often heat a big cup of water to boiling in my microwave then set the pans in there with the water to warm up,(after the water is done,leave cup in) they rise very nicely that way. have also set the pans in the garage where it is much warmer due to a/c in house. Have fun with your baking and don't be afraid to experiment. I have found it's only flour and water and we can make more if it flops.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:53 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I was also looking over there and on the unbleached flour it says unbleached wheat and on the regular it says bleached wheat and on self rising it says enriched bleached wheat but on bread it just says wheat. LOL no idea, i'm confused. Thanks so much for trying to help me out, i'm guessing the bread flour would be fine. I guess i'll just need to try it.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie24 View Post
I guess i'll just need to try it.
Yes do. As Granniero said, it's just flour & water and you can always make more.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #30
Senior Cook

JoeV i tried your bread that night and i'm sorry it took me so long to get back here with my results.

I like the bread alot, was it supposed to rise alot? It rose above the pan but didnt rise any more during baking. The crust is a bit too crusty for us, it was a bit hard and i think its the only thing i didnt like. I personally didnt mind it but the boys did not like it at all. I made grilled cheese sandwich with the bread and it was very good, minus the crust of course for the little ones. Overall i like the bread and i'm glad i tried it.

Thank you so much for the recipe.

Tags
None