What can I substitute for fresh blueberries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hirokei

Assistant Cook
hey everyone! i'm new to this forum (2nd post indeed :rolleyes: ) everyone seems so experienced at baking and i honestly suck.

anyways.. i guess its not the blueberries season cuz i really can't find them at any grocery stores :( should i use canned ones or frozen ones? i don't really like dried ones.. they're just too dry. thanks everyone! :chef: by the way, if you have a good blueberries muffin recipe, please share too! thanks hv a great day!

Thanks corazon90! i'll try soon! but a lot of people said.. their crumbs mixture didn't quite turn out like crumbs but more like a liquidly mixture. or the crumbs melted or didn't end up being crunchy. is there a way to make sure the topping end up being nice and crunchy?

oh by the way i hv another question.. how do u accurately measure butter? cuz butters are usually in a little bar, and its hard to measure 1/4. should it be melted, then measured? or... what. sorry i hv a lot of questions. but thanks in advance! =)

oh btw for that recipe.. how come some people use applesauce instead of oil? if i dont hv vegetable oil, can i use canola oil?! thanks!

Last edited:
oohhh i hv another question haha. how do u prevent all the blueberries sinking to the bottom?! some people coat them with flour, some people don't add them until a little later... what do u guys usually do?

hirokei said:
i hv another question.. how do u accurately measure butter? cuz butters are usually in a little bar, and its hard to measure 1/4. should it be melted, then measured? or... what. sorry i hv a lot of questions. but thanks in advance! =)

Welcome to DC, hirokei.

Re the butter - on the side of the bar on the paper wrapping, most should show you where to cut the butter i.e. 1 tbl, 1/2 cup etc. How I interpret melted butter in a recipe - if it says 1/4 cup melted butter -- I would fill the cup 1/4 cup BEFORE melting. Hope that is accurate. But first I would read the recipe through to check.

Making a corn casserole/pudding/bread, once I accidentally added a whole stick of butter instead of half. The only problem was it was too moist and took longer to bake/firm up. Hope that helps.

I have never made them from scratch... so here's my method.
blueberry_large.jpg

http://www.jiffymix.com/blueberry.html

Last edited:
As Mish said, the markings on the stick of butter tell you how much to use. If you're a little over or under, it's not going to be a big deal.

If a recipe calls for a quarter-cup of butter, melted. Measure the butter first then melt it.

If a recipe calls for a quarter-cup of melted butter, melt first then measure.

oohhhhh ok great thanks!! =)

as for the "to die for blueberry muffin" recipe corazon90 posted.. i actually don't have any vegetable oil at home. i have butter and canola oil tho.. would that be okay but i use that instead?!

hirokei said:
oohhhhh ok great thanks!! =)

as for the "to die for blueberry muffin" recipe corazon90 posted.. i actually don't have any vegetable oil at home. i have butter and canola oil tho.. would that be okay but i use that instead?!

that is vegetable oil..... just do so

Hi,
I always put the frozen blueberries in straight from the freezer, otherwise if they are defrosted the mixture turns very very blue and the blueberries are too mushy...I hope this helps...garnetnfl

about the butter:
- sticks are usually marked in tablespoons, so 4 T = 1/4 cup.
- use butter or oil. oil is easier to use, but won't taste as good. butter tastes great, but you'll have to either melt it or cream it with the sugar, a little bit more of a hassle. an extra bowl or cup to wash if you nuke it.

about the berries:
- if you use canned or frozen and you want the muffins to look nice, rinse them first. using them as-is can make the muffin batter purplish-grey
- you can use frozen berries as they are, but if there's a lot of frost & ice, run them under some water and drain well first.

icon12.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom