What do you do when out of bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soma

Senior Cook
Hi. Been away cooking at a monastery for a week, feel out of touch. Exhausted too, didn't sleep much in the spongey, rolly single bed they provided.
But it was a good week, nevertheless. Challenging. People often show up unanounced with cooked food and want me to add it to the menu at last minute. I only lost my cool once.:cool:

Hubby was manning the fort here, with our two cats, and running back and forth with supplies when I needed him. Hence our larder at home got sadly neglected.

No bread for lunch....which brings me to our topic here. I just decided to make two Irish Soda breads, in regular loaf pans. In oven now...hope it turns out, used a combination of 3 dift recipes: (no sugar, don't like sugar in sandwich bread).

4 cups flour, half white half whole wheat
2 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 cups sour milk (regular milk with 1 tsp vinegar)

Pics later....

I buy my baked goods in quantity at the Used Bread Store and freeze several items such as bread and hot dog and burger buns, so I never run out of bread. I may have to toast my sandwich if I neglect to take a loaf out of the freezer when I use up the last of what was in the refrigerator, but I never run out

I eat lots of bread-less sandwiches...but mine is out of choice.

I hope your solution works, Soma!

When I buy loaf bread (usually whole wheat), I freeze the loaf because there is no way I'll eat the whole loaf before it changes color. When I want a sandwich, I toss two slices into the toaster and I'm good to go.

Last edited:
I usually have several kinds of bread on hand, including soft tortillas and pita. Or I'll put stuff on tortilla chips and have nachos :)

I usually freeze my bread too. Should have done it with the last hotdog bun, just discovered it had become a science experiment...

Buonasera Soma,

Your bread recipe looks quite interesting, using a sour milk vinegar ...

I always have several types of flour for my Foccaccia & Italian Flatbreads on this side of the Mediterranean ...

Have a wonderful Monday,
Ciao, Margaux.

We have stopped eating bread, so we turn our sandwich fixings into a salad, or (in the case of things like cheeseburgers) we top it like we normally would and eat it with a fork. Peanut butter can be put in celery or apples can be dipped in it. Meats and cheeses definitely work well in a salad.

Before we stopped eating breads (we can eat some, we just have to limit it), if we ran out of bread or buns, we would make cheeseburger wraps, breaking the ground beef up when I browned it, and wrapping the meat, cheese, veggies, and condiments up in a flour tortilla. We also sometimes used tortillas for peanut butter sandwiches if we were out of bread.

In the spirit of that famous feme fatale, Marie Antoinette, when I'm out of bread, I eat cake. Ahhhhhahahaha.

Not really. I'll make biscuits, or fry bread, or, as others have said, throw together a quick batch of bread dough and make some home-made bread.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I rarely run out of bread, I do as a few others here and toss it in the freezer as soon as I buy it. But if I do run out, there's always crackers in the cupboard - sometimes I prefer those, anyway. Yesterday I had a lettuce wrap with tuna, that really hit the spot. :)

~cj

Here's how it turned out - tastes great!

Irish.JPG

Substitute another starch e.g. beans to go with frankfurters, rice, a macaroni product, or potatoes depending on the accompanying protein.
We prefer yeast leavened bread but sometimes consume unleavened bread with pickled fish.
In addition, I make it a point to never run out of liquid bread!

Last edited:
Oh, oops, I forgot to explain that I need it in a hurry - no time to wait for yeast to rise, hence my idea of making baking soda bread...but not a dessert-type loaf.

I sometimes also make flat pan-fried breads, just flour and water and oil.

Your bread looks great! I will have to try it sometime. I put bread in the freezer too, always with a paper towel inside the bag. It prevents freezer burn, and holds the extra moisture when the loaf is thawing.

Oh, oops, I forgot to explain that I need it in a hurry - no time to wait for yeast to rise, hence my idea of making baking soda bread...but not a dessert-type loaf.

I sometimes also make flat pan-fried breads, just flour and water and oil.
I make pita pockets--they are fairly fast to make, and fun. Or, tortilla-type wraps.

Back
Top Bottom