What happened to my bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamygram

Assistant Cook
I've been learning to bake bread for about the last 10 years. I can make good white and wheat sandwich loaves, my cibatta is probably an 8.5 on a scale of 1-10, and my baguettes aren't too bad either. However I have an occasional loaf that just flops. I made a raisin walnut cinnamon swirl bread a few days ago and when people tried it thier eyes bugged out in delight. :shock: My friend requested that I make a few loaves for her for Easter, and when I called her today she said it was very heavy and dry!!! :oops: What did I do? The one thing I did do differently from the first to the second time making this bread is I doubled the recipe the first time. This did not fit well in my 4.5 qt. kitchenaid mixer so I had to dump it and finish by hand. On Sat. when making my friends' loaves I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to mess with doing it by hand so I just made the recipe two separate time in my kitchenaid. Could I have over mixed it? Sorry this is so long I tend to ramble. Any help would be great!

tamygram;
I am, by no means, the resident baking expert here but it does sound like a classic overmix. The more you work dough the more developed the gluten becomes and the tougher the finished product will be.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom