"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

What is "crusty bread"?

I see "crusty bread" written quite often in the, what are you having for dinner threads. What actually is "crusty bread"? Is it a specific bread recipe, or a style of bread that encompasses a few, such as Italian bread or French bread that come in loaf shape? Is it just a fancy way to say I'm having bread with my dinner? I mean, all breads have a crust, don't they?

This "enquiring" mind wants to know

Thanks

Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The term crusty bread refers to breads with a hard crust that crunches when you bite into it. Sometimes, if you're lucky, small bits of the hard crust will break off and stick into your gums.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I so agree, when I speak of crusty bread, it may be french, Itl, sourdough heated in the oven to get it warn and Crusty.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The term crusty bread refers to breads with a hard crust that crunches when you bite into it. Sometimes, if you're lucky, small bits of the hard crust will break off and stick into your gums.
As I was reading that I thought you were going to say fall into your soup, not stick into your gums

I guess the first loaf of bread I made in my breadmachine with the color set to medium could have been considered a crusty bread

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Andy.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

pacanis, a good crusty bread can be many shapes and varieties, as you've assumed.

but the crust should be hard and fairly thick, upwards of 1/8th of an inch or more. not like the soft, thin crust of, say, a wonder white bread, or even the thicker but relatively chewy crust on a good polish rye. lika andy mentioned, it shouldn't bend much before it cracks.

i've had good, crusty bread in lots of forms: from round whites, ryes, and pumpernickels; to oval portugese/spanish style; to longer, fatter italian white or semolina; to even longer thinner french.

we have 2 great bakeries right up the block from us (1 italian, 1 polish) , so i often pick up a fresh, still-warm loaf on the way home from work.

just to guild the lily, if the bread is cold - but still less than a day, we often pop it in the oven to reheat and recrisp the crust. a lot of people don't do that at home, but it makes a world of difference. all of the aromas and nuttiness come right out again. try it, you'll see.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks again for all the info.

So, if I were to try making some rolls and brushed them with egg whites before popping them in the oven, they may or may not be considered crusty bread depending on how thick the crust got...... correct?
So do you just leave them bake longer?
Or, I remember buying some kind of fabric roll from King Arthur where the rep said to wrap my dough in it to help draw out the moisture before baking.... I'm thinking now that is how you get crusty bread if you are making it yourself.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm sorry, i can't help with the baking. i'm not a baker, in any sense of my imagination. my family and i are just bread (eating) people. since you often judge a restaurant by first impressions, the bread does it for us.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
Master Chef

Here's a beautiful crusty bread, along with a recipe: Bread Blog No Knead Bread with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Asiago Cheese

In fact, this blog is dedicated to bread recipes.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

The last comment was made by a link back to this thread..... Interesting. Is that some sort of form of internet ettiquette? When one posts a link on one site to another site, you should also post a link over there back? I've never seen that done before.

I'm a pretty basic bread eater. I would not take a slice of that bread if another were available. Too much color and swirls for me I appreciate the link though.
I'm also one of "those people" that don't eat Jello with chunks of stuff in it
Old 02-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
The last comment was made by a link back to this thread..... Interesting. Is that some sort of form of internet ettiquette? When one posts a link on one site to another site, you should also post a link over there back? I've never seen that done before.
That's called a Trackback - the blog software automagically "knows" when someone has linked to a given article and shows the link in context. Here's more: Trackback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm a pretty basic bread eater. I would not take a slice of that bread if another were available. Too much color and swirls for me I appreciate the link though.
I'm also one of "those people" that don't eat Jello with chunks of stuff in it
I know whatcha mean, although sun-dried tomato sourdough is one of my faves. There are lots of crusty breads without add-ins, though. Great stuff

Tags
None