What's your Favorite Breath-Killer Sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bump I haven't seen a good sandwich thread in a while. So I'm resurecting this thread from the grave (and just a few short days after Holloween, gasp). Let's see what the newer members have to add. Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Take two pieces of whole wheat bread slather one piece with horseradish mayo and the other with a spicy brown mustard. On the mustard side place salami, pepperoni, pepper jack cheese, sliced red onion rings, sliced pepperoncinis, sliced olives, and a couple of smashed roasted garlic cloves, and argula and then top with mayo side of bread.

My favorite stinky sandwich is a homemade Italian salomeat on a slice of good crusty bread, with a bit of whole grain mustard. I ate one of these, plus another "naked" sausage, and drank a couple of beers, and had no problem finding a seat at the high school basketball game that night.
There is a popular "gut-bomb", served at a little hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant here, quite delicious, that consists of a whole Italian sausage, served on an individual sized fresh baked loaf, with Italian beef ladled over the top and pepperoncini on the side.
Either of the above is guaranteed to keep away vampires.
A sardine sandwich, with mustard and horseradish on rye bread is pretty stinky, also. I have that for lunch sometimes, and when HB comes home and gives me a kiss he's like :ermm:

Toast two slices of wholemeal bread. Slather with a dollop of pate provencal or Brussels pate.. Add a few rings of red onion.

Passion killer on a plate. :chef:

I like a really good meatball sandwich. It probably isn't as stinky as some, but delicious anyway. I would like to get some ideas on how others make their meatball sandwiches if anyone would like to share.

Monte Cristo sandwich, covered with deep fried batter, sprinkled with powder sugar and a side of raspberry jam. Yum-O!!!!

my favorite stinky sandwich is toasted potato bread with liverwurst, muenster cheese, and lots of bannana wax peppers. best with potato chips mashed into the sandwich.

a REAL Italian hoagie: prosciuto, soprasata, garlic genoa, capicola, pepperincino relish, evoo with oregano, grated parmesian cheese, aged provalone, arrugola and radichio, an anchovie or two, a little Sicilian olive tapanad...ee gadds its a so good!

Michael in FtW said:
Sorry, Goodweed - you can't limit creativity even if it does include white bread. :)

Wow - back when I was a kid ... a couple of 1/4 inch slices of onion on white bread slathered with Miracle Whip ... and a good dusting of black pepper.

Of course - my diet changed when I got to the 9th grade ... for obvious reasons ....

Oh Goodness, you were that guy!!!!!!! :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this thread and was thinking of a sandwich I use to eat with my Dad, 50 yrs. ago ! Rye bread with limburger cheee, sliced onion, and s & p. Yum !

I have posted my favorite recipe. It is some work and very much dominated by Indo/Pak flavors so try it only if you like that food. You asked for a killer sandwich and this is all our family favorite. If I place these on a party platter they are gone in less than 15 minutes.

Classic Bun Kabab

For the Patty

Ground Beef and chickpeas (authentically we use chana dal but you can use chickpeas in a can) cooked together with little water, minced ginger, minced garlic, salt, red chili powder and garam masala. Once the water dries (ensure mixture is not too wet) take it out in a bowl and add lots of freshly chopped cilantro, freshly chopped mint, 1 finely diced jalapeno and freshly roasted and powdered cumin and some bread crumbs. Combine and form into large patties.

Dredge in semolina, dip in egg and pan fry until nice and crisp.

You can make this ahead of time and freeze

Now the assembly

Kaiser Rolls (Large ones)

Smear one side with cilantro mint chutney (to make use a few bunches of cilantro, 1 large bunch of mint, several cloves of garlic, 1 jalapeno and juice of 2 limes along with some water and blend into a thick paste)

Dash of ketchup on the other side. Place the patty, add tomato and onion slices. Pan fry them in a little oil and viola ready to cut and serve.

It is work but very different and very good and yes there is garlic galore in it along with raw onions so you need a mint afterwards ;)

It's time to resurect this thread as summer has arrived. We can be outdoors, and bring the good stuff to picknics, or on the fishing boat, or at the campground. We don't have to be stuck in crowded rooms full of people anymore. There's room to move about in the great outdoors. So make your favorite breathkiller sandwich, and if you have one that's not listed here, share it with all of us.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Just found this thread and was thinking of a sandwich I use to eat with my Dad, 50 yrs. ago ! Rye bread with limburger cheee, sliced onion, and s & p. Yum !

That one brings back fond memories Barb. I used to have limburger cheese on thin slices of black bread with a nice grainy mustard and thinly sliced onions with my grandmother and great aunts at family get togethers when I was a kid. It's time to resurrect that one! Thanks for reminding me!

Back
Top Bottom