"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 11-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #31
Cook

Send a message via AIM to hellschef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Sorry, Goodweed - you can't limit creativity even if it does include white bread. :)

Wow - back when I was a kid ... a couple of 1/4 inch slices of onion on white bread slathered with Miracle Whip ... and a good dusting of black pepper.

Of course - my diet changed when I got to the 9th grade ... for obvious reasons ....
Oh Goodness, you were that guy!!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 10:45 AM   #32
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Just found this thread and was thinking of a sandwich I use to eat with my Dad, 50 yrs. ago ! Rye bread with limburger cheee, sliced onion, and s & p. Yum !

Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #33
Executive Chef

A friend of mine loved peanut butter with sliced onion. Not as bad as some but still a bit of a breath killer.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #34
Head Chef

I have posted my favorite recipe. It is some work and very much dominated by Indo/Pak flavors so try it only if you like that food. You asked for a killer sandwich and this is all our family favorite. If I place these on a party platter they are gone in less than 15 minutes.

Classic Bun Kabab

For the Patty

Ground Beef and chickpeas (authentically we use chana dal but you can use chickpeas in a can) cooked together with little water, minced ginger, minced garlic, salt, red chili powder and garam masala. Once the water dries (ensure mixture is not too wet) take it out in a bowl and add lots of freshly chopped cilantro, freshly chopped mint, 1 finely diced jalapeno and freshly roasted and powdered cumin and some bread crumbs. Combine and form into large patties.

Dredge in semolina, dip in egg and pan fry until nice and crisp.

You can make this ahead of time and freeze

Now the assembly

Kaiser Rolls (Large ones)

Smear one side with cilantro mint chutney (to make use a few bunches of cilantro, 1 large bunch of mint, several cloves of garlic, 1 jalapeno and juice of 2 limes along with some water and blend into a thick paste)

Dash of ketchup on the other side. Place the patty, add tomato and onion slices. Pan fry them in a little oil and viola ready to cut and serve.

It is work but very different and very good and yes there is garlic galore in it along with raw onions so you need a mint afterwards
Old 04-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Liverwurst, strong white onion, hot mustard all on rye... even my wife keeps her distance after that combo ;-)
Old 04-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #36
Head Chef

I think the people who used to eat the pinto bean sandwiches inspired the classic burrito.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #37
Master Chef

It's time to resurect this thread as summer has arrived. We can be outdoors, and bring the good stuff to picknics, or on the fishing boat, or at the campground. We don't have to be stuck in crowded rooms full of people anymore. There's room to move about in the great outdoors. So make your favorite breathkiller sandwich, and if you have one that's not listed here, share it with all of us.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #38
Master Chef

Hey, did you ever publish your book?
Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L. View Post
Just found this thread and was thinking of a sandwich I use to eat with my Dad, 50 yrs. ago ! Rye bread with limburger cheee, sliced onion, and s & p. Yum !
That one brings back fond memories Barb. I used to have limburger cheese on thin slices of black bread with a nice grainy mustard and thinly sliced onions with my grandmother and great aunts at family get togethers when I was a kid. It's time to resurrect that one! Thanks for reminding me!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #40
Master Chef

garlic! pickled! & anchovies. yum!..... i'm glad i brush often!!

Tags
None