Whats your favorite stuffing recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
I have been tempted to try this one.. sounds interesting.. and it would probably be great with Ham

Baked Pineapple Stuffing

Serving Size : 4

1 can crushed pineapple - (20 oz) -- undrained
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 cup packaged cornbread stuffing crumbs
1/2 cup sugar - (to 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
3 eggs -- beaten

Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 3 1/2-quart crockpot . Combine all
ingredients; pour
into the crockpot. Cover and cook on HIGH 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

I have NO hesitation whatsoever when someone asks me about my favorite Dressing... (IMO, it's "dressing" when you bake it in a casserole, and "stuffing" if you "stuff" it inside the bird, which I never do.)

This is a page straight from my book, "Feastivals Cooks at HOme," which makes a GREAT holiday gift! (shameless self-promotion!) :rolleyes:

Flora's Cornbread Dressing
I consider this an “heirloom recipe.” It's from my “other mother,” Flora Hayden. All Flora's kids LOVE this dressing and make it for every occasion. In addition to serving this with turkey, I use it to recreate Flora's Baked Chicken and Dressing (browned pieces of chicken are “buried” in the dressing in a deep roaster and baked for about 1 ½ hours) and to stuff double-thick pork chops. Once you've mastered the recipe, you'll think of many ways to serve it.

2 or 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 8-inch pan cornbread
8 slices crisp toast
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons rubbed sage
1 teaspoon powdered sage
2 extra large eggs
sea salt and pepper to taste

1. Sauté celery, bell pepper and onion in 2 tablespoons melted butter.

2. Mash all the ingredients together in a bowl. Add more stock if necessary to thoroughly moisten the mixture. (Be careful not to make it too mushy.).

3. Place in an oiled baking dish, cover with foil, shiny side in, and bake for 1 hour in the 325 degree oven with the turkey.

This makes enough dressing to accompany 2 chickens or 1 medium-sized turkey.
Teacher¹s Tip: I never really stuff anything with this dressing/stuffing. I LOVE dressing and if you stuff something, there just wouldn’t be enough!

ChefJune said:

8 slices crisp toast

1. ith this dressing/stuffing. I LOVE dressing and if you stuff something, there just wouldn’t be enough!

What kind of bread are you using?

:)

whatever I have on hand. sometimes it's leftover baguette, or it could even be the spelt bread I buy at the Greenmarket. The keys to this dressing are the cornbread and the seasonings. I've found that "other" bread is not the most important re the flavor. I wouldn't use a rye bread, tho. THAT would make a flavor difference!

Herb Stuffing Like My Moms
Melt 1 cup of butter or margarine in a saucepan.....then add 1 cup each of coarsley chopped celery & onion. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.

While the celery and onions are cooking. Take 2 packages of hot dog buns and rip them into large bite size pieces in a extra large mixing bowl. NOTE: You may have to add 1 1/2 pkg. then after you add the liquid and the bread shrinks down then add the remaining buns.

To the hot dog buns add the following:
1 cup snipped fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried
2 to 2 1/2 tsp salt ..... I use kosher and start out with 2 tsp.
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
2 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Once you have all the herbs/spices added add the celery/onions/butter mixture. Now start pouring in a can of low sodium chicken broth. It'll probably take you the whole can and maybe more so have 2 cans on hand. Like I mentioned before you may have to leave some of the hot dog buns out first before adding the herbs and such.......the broth makes the bread shrink.
Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.

NOTE: For my taste I usually end up adding some poultry seasoning, a little more salt and more pepper.

NOTE: The good thing about this is that since there is no eggs involved you can taste and season to your palate.

NOTE: You can substitute the hot dog buns for toast. Just toast a full loaf. Tear up in large bite sizes. My mom always used hot dog buns and thats what we prefer.

NOTE: If you like a drier stuffing then hold back on the broth.....if you like a moister stuffing then be sure to add enough chicken broth.

Sometimes when I saute the onions and celery I'll add diced granny smith apple and raisins.

I use the Pepperidge Farm brand of stuffing and follow the directions, adding celery, carrotts, onions. This time around I will be adding those veggies and also mushrooms, pecans, and apple. I place my stuffing in the turkey and any extras into a separate dish to bake. Stuffing is probably my favorite side dish for Thanksgiving.

I like a simple stuffing, but mine has a few ingredients that take prep. I use turkey stock and rendered turkey fat in mine.

I really find stuffing to be something that has different ratios each time around depending on how dry the bread is and how much I'm making. I usually buy a couple loaves of bread (baguette, farmer white, etc), cut them into small cubes, and dry them in the oven. When they come out I usually crush 1/3-1/2 of them into large crumbs.

Then I use a 50/50 ratio of rendered turkey fat and butter to sweat my minced onions and celery (along with a little mashed garlic). I also add some minced sage, thyme, and parsley as I take it off the heat. The turkey stock I warm in a saucier and salt it to taste along with some finely ground black pepper. Then the onion mixture gets folded into the dry cubes/crumbs followed by enough of the stock to moisten the cubes/crumbs. This goes into a big/shallow buttered pan and into the oven. Having a large pan exposes more stuffing to the heat and yields more crispy/crunchy stuffing on top!

The exception is when I lightly stuff a boneless turkey breast and roast it.

Of course for chicken I would substitute chicken stock and rendered chicken fat above.

Celery, onion, torn white bread (that's been dried out) and remoistened with chicken stock. Bacon, poultry seasoning, sage, salt, pepper and that's about it.
Simple yet so scrumptious !!!

seaoned bread crumbs with cooked sausage, onions, celerey, parsley and thyme, (or sage) some left over wild rice if available and chopped pecans...chicken broth...loosely stuff in the bird. (Ingredients are cooked and cooled before going in the bird)

Third time lucky - i've posted this twice already, but keep getting an error message!

My Mum used to make a wonderful sausagemeat with apple stuffing - although that is probably a misnomer, cos she didn't like to stuff the bird whilst it cooked, the 'stuffing' was cooked on the side. She used to chop a couple of apples into small, fine chunks - using a 'nutty' type of apple like Worcester Pearmain or Cox's Orange Pippin and mix it with some pork sausage meat, some fried onions and some sage and thyme.

I just love a plain bread stuffing,but never got the type I wanted til last year. Someone, and I don't remember who, said that they made their own bread ahead of time and used that for the stuffing. They gave a recipe, I copied it and made two loaves, froze it then tore it into pieces, dried it a few minutes in the oven and then tossed it into a big bowl and added, sauteed mushroom, onion, several cloves of garlic crushed, celery and then season everything with bells seasonings and warm chicken stock. I'd always followed what my mother and grandmothers did, til last year and that was to stuff the bird. I never cared for the big mass of glue like bread that came out of the bird. Having to wrestle a big HOT bird to get it to turn loose the stuffing and having had to catch same bird as it hurled off the cutting board while hot as a pistol with my bare hands, was not fun..So last year I put the stuffing into a seperate small roaster and cooked it that way.. Surprise, I got the stuffing of my dreams, When you looked at it, you could see slices of mushrooms,celery and onion,pieces of bread ,when flaked with a fork it did NOT stick altogether in a clump It was still moist, but identifiable and delicious. Even my brother-in-law who felt stuffing was a waste of bread tried it and ended up taking some home for the next day..So, I will do it again this year. I already have a loaf of 10 grain bread and one of white ready. Now I need to do is either a wheat or a sourdough and were set.
kadesma:LOL:

bells seasoning

kadesma, where do you find Bells Seasoning? Regular grocery store? I haven't ever seen it. Also do you bake stuffing regular time and baste w/pan drippings? T hanks

In the Kitchen said:
kadesma, where do you find Bells Seasoning? Regular grocery store? I haven't ever seen it. Also do you bake stuffing regular time and baste w/pan drippings? T hanks
ITK,
I found it in my in my regular grocery store, it's with the other seasoning and comes in a box with a turkey on the front. It's not a large box and at first i didn't even see it. But it was right there with salt and salt substitutes and all the other herbs. I make my stuffing and put it in a seperate pan, cover with foil, but I poke several holes in the top to keep it from steaming, I don't add pan drippings as it has chciken stock mixed in there and I like it a little crumbly, so you can tell it's bread and veggies and not all stuck together..Of course at the table we all put some of the turkey gravy over it:LOL:
kadesma

kadesma

Thanks for such quick response! I do appreciate it when someone helps so quickly. I have to do shopping today cause person who planned meal is not going to be able. Have to make allowances for emergencies. I will surely look for box w/turkey. And remember the name Bell. Also thanks on your technique of putting foil and poking holes. I am hoping perfection this year. I guess we all strive for that.

Thanks once more and I am sure you will have compliments for 'job well done'.

Back
Top Bottom