"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches

Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Head Chef

Double Quick Dinner Rolls
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ipe-27641.html

Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjcooking View Post
Thank you. gonna try it out. See how they turnout

Old 06-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
Master Chef

We dip the raw dough in melted butter before putting the rolls into the pan for the final rise. Also, another great trick for softer texture (can you say melt-in-your-mouth) is to add mashed potatoes to the dough ingredients.

To insure that the roll crust is soft, place a sheet of plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the rolls before they are completely cooled. This will trap some of the moisture and keep the tops from drying out.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
We dip the raw dough in melted butter before putting the rolls into the pan for the final rise. Also, another great trick for softer texture (can you say melt-in-your-mouth) is to add mashed potatoes to the dough ingredients.

To insure that the roll crust is soft, place a sheet of plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the rolls before they are completely cooled. This will trap some of the moisture and keep the tops from drying out.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Oh my goodness, I made potato rolls last thanksgiving and they were wonderful, the potatoes made them so wonderfully soft. They were even great the next day and the day after that, a rare thing with a homemade roll!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:35 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

definitely the way to go is to brush with melted butter as soon as you take them out of the oven. That would make them rich. You could also try a light brushing of a sugar syrup (equal parts water and dissolved sugar). That would soften but, of course, also add sweetness.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadmantalking View Post
definitely the way to go is to brush with melted butter as soon as you take them out of the oven. That would make them rich. You could also try a light brushing of a sugar syrup (equal parts water and dissolved sugar). That would soften but, of course, also add sweetness.
I have been reading your blog. My sister likes it as well. any way thanx for the advice everyone. Im tired of having the rolls come out to crispy ontop and not soft . So im gonna try my recipe again AND im gonna dip half the raw dough in butter like goodweed of the north says and then the other half i will brush with butter when they come out of the oven. Oh and i will bake at a lower temp than the recipe says to. It says 375 for 10 min then 350 for another 10 min or until done. I will do 350 then 325.

Thanx
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
I have been reading your blog. My sister likes it as well. any way thanx for the advice everyone. Im tired of having the rolls come out to crispy ontop and not soft . So im gonna try my recipe again AND im gonna dip half the raw dough in butter like goodweed of the north says and then the other half i will brush with butter when they come out of the oven. Oh and i will bake at a lower temp than the recipe says to. It says 375 for 10 min then 350 for another 10 min or until done. I will do 350 then 325.

Thanx
Glad to help. Also glad you read the blog. Please pass along the address to anyone you think might like it.
All the best,
Old 07-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #18
Senior Cook

brush with butter but leave in the pan for 5 min or so. transfer to a wire rack and cover with a well-rung-out, damp tea towel until cooled.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

leaving in pan

you're right of course. Leave them in the pan for a few minutes so they stabilize. Otherwise they might crumble apart.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
brush with butter but leave in the pan for 5 min or so. transfer to a wire rack and cover with a well-rung-out, damp tea towel until cooled.
Ill give that a shot. Tired of my rolls being to crispy on the outside and not soft enough inside.

Tags
None